Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure I'm not the first person to ask this question and face this decision. I bought my R/T Classic this past February and didn't think I would care about it being a hot rod or really modding it much so I didn't spend the extra money for a SRT8. Well I was bad wrong! I should have known better because I'm a hot rod person to the core but I drag race on the track with a race car so I though I wouldn't care about it on my daily driver. Turns out I do lol. Anyway long story short I am at a crossroads....spend a ton of money and mod my RT or sell/trade and buy a SRT8 392. It's going to cost me $10-12K to trade up to a used 2011 or 2012 SRT8. It seems to me that I would have to spend about $6-8K on my car to get to perform as well as a stock 392 right?

So what are your opinions? Keep my RT that I love and just start spending money on it or trade up to a 392? I currently have my RT for sale on this site by the way but still on the fence about it. Have had some really great trade offers from a few dealers as well that I almost pulled the trigger on but just can't decide. It's driving me crazy!:notallthere:

·
Banned
290 Posts
It depends really. For the R/T to be as powerful in a straight line as the SRT8, it's not that expensive. But for the brakes, suspension and what not to compare, you're better off trading up.

However, for me, the tinkering is half the fun. I look forward to buying a big brake kit and installing it on the RT. I look forward to either super-charging or buying a 440 and having it installed, while still doing what I can. I will install my own lowering springs, bigger sway bars, and so on. In the end my R/T will eat an SRT8 for lunch. Would it take less time and money to just buy an SRT8? Absolutely.

But that's not the point.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Get the srt8, I have the RT cLassic and it is heavily modded and I'm happy with it but now I too want more.

Good luck on your decision

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For the record I only care about straight line quickness. I don't care about curves or top end speed.

·
Premium Member
3,632 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm sure I'm not the first person to ask this question and face this decision. I bought my R/T Classic this past February and didn't think I would care about it being a hot rod or really modding it much so I didn't spend the extra money for a SRT8. Well I was bad wrong! I should have known better because I'm a hot rod person to the core but I drag race on the track with a race car so I though I wouldn't care about it on my daily driver. Turns out I do lol. Anyway long story short I am at a crossroads....spend a ton of money and mod my RT or sell/trade and buy a SRT8 392. It's going to cost me $10-12K to trade up to a used 2011 or 2012 SRT8. It seems to me that I would have to spend about $6-8K on my car to get to perform as well as a stock 392 right?

So what are your opinions? Keep my RT that I love and just start spending money on it or trade up to a 392? I currently have my RT for sale on this site by the way but still on the fence about it. Have had some really great trade offers from a few dealers as well that I almost pulled the trigger on but just can't decide. It's driving me crazy!:notallthere:
I went through the same thing for over 3 years and 15 test drives. SE's, R/T's and SRT's...finally on my 16th test drive I bought the 2012 Black Challenger SRT. The R/T and the SRT are two different cars. The feel is completely different in my opinion. :bowdown: So I can sympathize with your muddle. :grinbiginvert:

My 2012 SRT is only 7 months old and has 4800 miles...I'd sell it... now that the mystery of it has subsided. :yikes:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Get the srt8, I have the RT cLassic and it is heavily modded and I'm happy with it but now I too want more.

Good luck on your decision

It looks like you've done about the same mods that I would like to do with mine. So ultimately you still aren't happy and wish you had the SRT8? How much money did you have to spend to get yours to where it is now performance wise?

·
Registered
2012 Classic RT
8 Posts
Same situation...2012 R/T Classic, 6-Speed Manual Transmission with Hurst Shifter, Super Track Pack Suspension & Heavy Duty Brakes (not Brembo). It is better to buy the SRT. You could never add all the upgrades for less than just buying the car. The parts and labor would cost double. You could lose your warrantee with the upgrades. I just added oil catch can, K&N Air Filter, G&K Performance Hurst Shifter and Blastin' Bobs Glass Packs. I would love to get Brembo Brakes $3000 and Super Charger $7000 but at that cost, I should have just bought the SRT. Just remember that whatever you decide there is always something faster out there. I think if I had an SRT I would have more speeding tickets. In my R/T, I am currently ticket free!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
9,296 Posts
Guess I look at it this way. If you bought the car last February, and already want to trade it, then you bought the "wrong" car.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Guess I look at it this way. If you bought the car last February, and already want to trade it, then you bought the "wrong" car.

That's a pretty good analysis right there!

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
I got mine in April...

....Ordered a SRT in November.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
It depends really. For the R/T to be as powerful in a straight line as the SRT8, it's not that expensive. But for the brakes, suspension and what not to compare, you're better off trading up.
I completely agree with Killawatts.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
I always say, buy the most car you can comfortably afford, the first go around.

That being said, you may want to wait to see what 2015 brings in the way of performance changes to the Challenger. Otherwise, you may be trading all over again!

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
I considered this...

I always say, buy the most car you can comfortably afford, the first go around.

That being said, you may want to wait to see what 2015 brings in the way of performance changes to the Challenger. Otherwise, you may be trading all over again!
....But I really believe the 6.2 Hellcat will be EXPENSIVE (GT500 Expensive). I think the production numbers will be limited, and the dealers will jack up the prices. That is why I went ahead and ordered a 14 SRT. The SRT is a finished product. A $8500 Maggie installation by Steve White's team seems like a better deal. I wonder what that Hellcat will have for brakes (and what other goodies it will have).

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
You may want to wait for the 2015 because there will be more to the model upgrade than the Hellcat. The car will be lighter and will have suspension upgrades that you may want to take advantage of. Even with the same 392 it will be faster and better than a 2014 SRT8. Something else to consider is that you have a B-5 classic which is one sweet looking ride! You can't get B-5 anymore and who knows when or if it will be brought back...

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts
For the record I only care about straight line quickness. I don't care about curves or top end speed.

A5 SRT all the way. 11s N/A'd with the right DRs and a good tune.

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts

However, for me, the tinkering is half the fun. I look forward to buying a big brake kit and installing it on the RT. I look forward to either super-charging or buying a 440 and having it installed, while still doing what I can. I will install my own lowering springs, bigger sway bars, and so on. In the end my R/T will eat an SRT8 for lunch. Would it take less time and money to just buy an SRT8? Absolutely.

But that's not the point.

"In the end my R/T will eat an SRT8 for lunch" Hemi variant 440 or an old school 440? Takes a lot of HP, TQ, & $ to get a 4200 LB car from the 13s to the 11s.

·
Banned
290 Posts
1 - 20 of 59 Posts