Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
SXT Plus
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
V6 Dip Stick Variation Dilemma

So I purchased an under hood dress up kit from Billet Technology.

To my dismay, when I tried to put the replacement dipstick pull on, I found that mine did not have a push pin to remove the head.

Apparently, this variation has been put in about half the 2017 challengers.

So I am trying to find the right one before I send the piece back.

I called the dealer and they said they only have one number in the computer and can't guarantee anything.

Anyone have any ideas ?

·
Premium Member
2,341 Posts
I can't speak of the 17's, but my 16 had some plastic over the push pin. It's not real obvious where the push pin is, but give it a closer look and maybe you'll see something.

·
Registered
SXT Plus
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't speak of the 17's, but my 16 had some plastic over the push pin. It's not real obvious where the push pin is, but give it a closer look and maybe you'll see something.
Thanks so much. I will check that tonight.

With the cover for the V6, were there not pieces from the Billet set you could not use?

E.g. Tranny fluid cap?

·
Premium Member
2,341 Posts
Thanks so much. I will check that tonight.

With the cover for the V6, were there not pieces from the Billet set you could not use?

E.g. Tranny fluid cap?
The tranny cover cap is useless because it can't be seen. Maybe in other engines, but not the V-6. I think there was also a brake fluid cap too that wouldn't be seen.

·
Premium Member
2,341 Posts
Not sure if part of "my" problem is that mine is a ring pull.

Seems like the dowel ones are T-Pulls?

Or am I wrong?
In your 4th picture, the push pin is in the middle of that lowest yellow plastic piece. See the round area?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,944 Posts
Timely thread! I read this late Thursday night. I thought, "what a shame if 2017 can't use the dipstick handles". I also had one on order from Speedlogix, and thought, "I'm going to look at my dipstick tomorrow", after seeing sdr2711's pictures. Well mine looks exactly like his! And ironically, I checked my mail and mine had arrived. No instructions, but description says,
Each handle comes with two (2) o-rings, a dowel pin and a nail for an easy (5 minute) installation.
I assumed push out dowel, switch handles, press in new dowel, and add o rings, and done. I couldn't find this thread after a quick search late Friday, so glad I did today, and MEKrunner's answer :)

@MEKrunner, how did you get old pin out? The plastic is thin there, nail will push through? Please let us know how we make our dipstick look good ;)

A Guy

·
Premium Member
2,341 Posts
Timely thread! I read this late Thursday night. I thought, "what a shame if 2017 can't use the dipstick handles". I also had one on order from Speedlogix, and thought, "I'm going to look at my dipstick tomorrow", after seeing sdr2711's pictures. Well mine looks exactly like his! And ironically, I checked my mail and mine had arrived. No instructions, but description says, I assumed push out dowel, switch handles, press in new dowel, and add o rings, and done. I couldn't find this thread after a quick search late Friday, so glad I did today, and MEKrunner's answer :)

@MEKrunner, how did you get old pin out? The plastic is thin there, nail will push through? Please let us know how we make our dipstick look good ;)

A Guy
You aren't going to like my answer. :surprise:

I have no idea how this can be a 5 minute job. I saw a video someone posted, and they knocked that push pin right out. NOT me. Unfortunately that yellow plastic is hard too. I used a combination of snippers and a Dremel tool to remove enough of the yellow plastic from around the push pin to allow me to use pliers to pull the pin out. I didn't mind hacking away at that old handle, because I was never going to use it again. So...You have my permission to use any method you can come up with to remove that pin. I'm just sorry I didn't take a video of what I did. :icon_rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,944 Posts
I thought you might say that :) It could be a 5 minute job if there were open holes on both sides I guess. I think there are a few methods that can work. Put handle in a vice, and hacksaw down both sides of the stick, then pry it apart. Drill a hole until you hit metal both sides, and push the pin through. Or I think I will use a destroy it method, and work myself around the handle with pliers until it's all cracked, and pick it apart with a screwdriver.

As long as there is a hole in the dipstick itself that I can use to install the new handle, I'm good. A Guy

·
Registered
200 Posts
My '17 T/A came with the pin. Just pushed it out and installed the billet one, took all of 5min.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,944 Posts
$%(*@! Why must mine be the hard one, lol

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,944 Posts
It's a hole. Not a concern, it just might wiggle a bit coming out and going in >:)

A Guy

·
Registered
SXT Plus
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Let me know how you make out Guy. I just wish we could have found the proper version to buy and not have to worry about destroying a good one in our attempt.

·
Premium Member
2,341 Posts
You can get a new dipstick if you mess up. Amazon is our friend. :wink3:

I had a 2013 SXT+. I never did this dip stick handle swap on it. That oil dip stick was incredibly hard to pull out(insert joke here). Then one day, the yellow handle snapped off on my finger when I went to check my oil. So, I bought a new dip stick, and it worked so smoothly. It slid in and out so easily(insert another joke here). So all dip sticks aren't made the same apparently, but that's another matter. The problem here is the pushpin. Good luck guys!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,944 Posts
OK, so I figured I'd run into one of two possibilities trying to get the handle off. Can I see door number 3 Monty? First, the attempt. I used the pliers like in my previous post. I had planned to just clamp down using the serrated part until I destroyed the integrity of the plastic. Um, no...this stuff is tough! I did make some headway, but my hands were getting tired. So I started rotating the handle while clamped in the serrated part, and that was the ticket. After a few minutes of that, it started to fall apart. I expected the dowel to be near the impression closer to the stick, but when I go that part off, no dowel, it must be closer to the handle. Imagine my surprise when I got to the end of the dipstick and found this:

Door number 3, no dowel, no hole in the stick! So after doing some measurements of the old handle, based on what was left, and where the stick ended. I determined that the stick would indeed bottom out in the handle, and set out to measure where a hole would go, and drilled one with a bit slightly larger than the hole in the handle

Turned out to be a perfect sized hole, as the dowel would barely go in with force, like the hole in the handle. Used some pliers to start the dowel in the handle, put cloth around and under, and hammered it in. Dipstick is not loose at all, tight like it was designed that way

So, in the end very happy with it, but there was a oh #^@$ moment when I realized no hole, and how would I know how far the stick fit in the new handle. Looks like they designed the handle so it bottomed out, and that's the same as this stick with no dowel and hole. @Speedlogix had you ever had this feedback before? Site says 5 minute job...If I didn't have the drill bit, I'd still be with a stick and a handle.

@canative can you share the number of your dipstick please. It's on the dipstick up near the handle. 05184660AG is the number on mine, and that checks out.

A Guy

·
Registered
SXT Plus
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Huh. Maybe I'll just paint my ugly yellow pull ring (just the part that shows, of course) black - and the ugly washer fluid cap at the same time.

Thanks for the info (not sure how I stumbled across this old post but glad I did)!
Yeap, I gave up and figured it was the only option.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,944 Posts
It wasn't that hard, lol. But if I knew beforehand what I would find, black paint it would have been :)

A Guy

1 - 20 of 21 Posts