Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Fiancee and I just bought a 2013 I believe jazz blue pearl Challenger with silver stripes. After the detail job the dealership did i noticed that there were some pretty big water spots and discolorations in the stripes only. I've looked on here to see if anyone has had similar issues and the salesman who is a challenger owner suggested I wash the car in dawn to strip the old wax off and those dirty spots should come out. Im a bit worried that they might not come out after we wash the car and take care of a few other minor scratches and such. Does anyone have any suggestions, as I dont want to damage the stripe but I would love to get the spots out completely or at least the best we can.

Thank You for your help and suggestions.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Just be careful at the edges. If you go over the edge wrong you can get some clay in there. Pretty easy to get out with a toothbrush but it can be a pain

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
You should wash the entire car with Dawn and the two bucket system. Then clay bar to ensure all the rail dust and other goodies that have attached themselves to the clear coat are gotten rid of. After then you can apply a couple coats of a good wax or do a sealant and then the coats of wax.

There are many threads on the forum about this along with links to videos, detailing forums and products. I know that I have addressed this in detail a few times.

Also, if you are going to do over the counter product then the best kit, along with cheapest in price but still good quality is to head to WalMart and pick up the Meguiar's Clay Bar kit. It contains a couple bars, some lube and a good microfiber cloth.

BTW - if the dealership applied wax over the stripes you might have an issue as wax should never be applied to the vinyl stripes. You can use a sealant like Adam's but wax is not recommended at all.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks thumpr,
The weather is going to be good Saturday here so I'm going to wash in dawn and give it a shot with the clay bar. The spots are just waterspots that I can't seem to get out. I hope the dealer didn't wax over the stripes, if they did the dawn will take it off.

I'll post results after the wash and clay bar.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
387 Posts
Bring it back to the dealer.
My car is 4 years old with side and hood stripes that look like day one without applying anything on the stripes. I just wash with car wash products and any spots or bird crap comes off easily. They may have damaged your vinyl. If it does not come off by normal washing take it to the dealer. Utilize your warranty.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I washed in dawn, clay barred the stripes even tried the vinegar and water solution and the spots are still there. I'll attach the pictures of the deck lid. These spots are only on the stripes the paint is beautiful!

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm going to finish detailing the car and then call the dealership on Monday and take it to them for factory warranty.

·
Registered
336 Posts
BTW - if the dealership applied wax over the stripes you might have an issue as wax should never be applied to the vinyl stripes. You can use a sealant like Adam's but wax is not recommended at all.
Like many others, I've waxed my gloss stripes (and gloss stripes on a previous vehicle) with no issues. Mequairs quick liquid wax, Gold Classic liquid/paste, Mother's Reflections, etc. etc. Wouldn't use anything with a 'cut' to it, but regular wax does seem to slow down the inevitable bird pooh stains.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Went to the dealer today and they pointed me to their body shop on site. Talked with 2 techs there. They took pictures and submitted the warranty claim to dodge. The 2nd tech said "typical silver stripes" and said this isn't the first time with the silver stripes. He recommended a light coating of tire shine on the stripes to keep them looking good and to prevent this from happening again. He also advised not to wax as it'll cause them to get a white haze and crack due to the drying out of the vinyl.

We should have new stripes on the car in about 2 weeks! Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Glad that you are getting this sorted with a warranty claim. Just make sure that they shop brings in an expert vinyl/stripe guy to apply them. Usually if they have someone on staff attempt this there are bubbles, warps or things go on crooked.

As for using a tire shine on the vinyl I have to laugh, and stop myself from hitting the shop guy that told you this. This will not do much for protecting them at all and depending on what brand it will dry them out. You want to seal the stripes using something like Adam's Polishes Quick Sealant Or you can use a good detail spray on them to add some protection after washing if you don't use a sealant.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm glad as well, they said they have a guy that comes to the shop and does them. Regardless I'm going to take the day off from work and stay with the car. One to make sure it isn't damaged and two just to watch how they get the stripes on smooth straight and bubble free. Yea I won't take that techs advice I was more surprised about what he said than anything. I'm going to get the Adams products for the stripes maybe even the whole car.

I'll get pictures of the stripes when it's fixed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts