·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

new to your website. I am frustrated. Accidently left deck lid
open on 2008 challenger srt8 and drained battery. Disconnected
battery to charge. when i reconnected battery, car won't start
with key fob. Did actually put key in ignition thinking that would help.
Hate to call the dealership tomorrow if i don't have to.
This is embarrasing.

Mackatak

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
i don't know what to say. Has it been in storage for the last few months like that? if so a new battery my be the solution.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Welcome to the forum. you might want to check and maybe clean the battery connections and make sure the battery did acually charge.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
You should show 14 plus volts with no load on the battery when its charged.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the info. car is in storage but gets started weekly. probably should not have disconnected battery to charge. now the car is confused as am i.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
try slow charge for a few days. we still don't know how long its been with the thingy open. if its been over a week it probably won't hold a charge. good luck my friend.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Yeah, i do a liketime road call. what year car , don't tell they you left the hood open though.

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Not clear if you have a battery of fob problem from your description.

Do your interior lights come on and when you try to start everything goes out and the car does not crank

or when you try to start the lights stay on and you get some message in the display about the fob?

·
Registered
772 Posts
You should show 14 plus volts with no load on the battery when its charged.
Make sure battery terminals are clean and tight. Take the start button out and try the key. Either charge the battery or get a jump. Anything over 12.2 V DC is good with no load, it should not drop below 10.8v DC when you crank the engine, then when it starts you should see it go over 13V DC and come back down as the battery recharges. Also rmember to always disconnect the negative {black} cable first. and reconnect it last.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not clear if you have a battery of fob problem from your description.

Do your interior lights come on and when you try to start everything goes out and the car does not crank

or when you try to start the lights stay on and you get some message in the display about the fob?

This is what happened to me. Car won't even crank. Is it a security feature? I've tried jumping it and charging it.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Well, we found out the other day that if you put the fob into the dash the engine will run even if there's no battery in the fob. So try starting it by putting the fob into the dash and if you don't get anything that way I would then clean the connections on the battery terminals. If nothing then, it may be a bad control module, and you would need the dealers help for that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, we found out the other day that if you put the fob into the dash the engine will run even if there's no battery in the fob. So try starting it by putting the fob into the dash and if you don't get anything that way I would then clean the connections on the battery terminals. If nothing then, it may be a bad control module, and you would need the dealers help for that.
Tried inserting the key fob as well and no difference. So it must be a dealer issue? I believe I still have it under warranty.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
You killed the battery, get a new one.

·
Super Moderator
14,137 Posts
thanks for the info. car is in storage but gets started weekly. probably should not have disconnected battery to charge. now the car is confused as am i.

I had my battery totally discharge twice because the trunk lid accidently popped open under my car cover and stayed open with the light on for 7 days.

I disconnected the battery and put it on a charger for 8 hrs. and it turned over the engine fine both times.

I think your battery is shot- it is over 4 years old. Time for another.

Important- Make sure whomever installs a new one vents it properly.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I had my battery totally discharge twice because the trunk lid accidently popped open under my car cover and stayed open with the light on for 7 days.

I disconnected the battery and put it on a charger for 8 hrs. and it turned over the engine fine both times.

I think your battery is shot- it is over 4 years old. Time for another.

Important- Make sure whomever installs a new one vents it properly.
What do you mean by venting it properly?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

1 - 17 of 17 Posts