Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just visited a brand new Discount Tire facility here in the DFW area. Nice place and great people. But...

When they lifted my car on their "block lift" which I call it this because it is just big blocks to lift by the frame, my rocker panels were stressed in which I could see the plastic bowing out from the pressure due to both the design of the lift and our cars.

Knowing Discount Tire is a vendor and monitors this forum, I was wondering on what their take was on this and if they consider this safe for the rocker panels and if there is special treatment I should request on my next visit to avoid broken panels.

It does not appear any permanent damage was done to mine (mine have already been replaced under warranty with the new part#'s) but I can tell that they are still a bit bowed out a bit which I hope goes away on it's own soon.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
If the vehicle was lifted by the rocker pinch-welds it was not lifted using the factory-designated hoist points.

I will not argue the safety of this method. All I will say is it is not how Chrysler wants the car picked up.

·
Registered
556 Posts
When America's Tire did our wheels they used 4 floor jacks and small rubber blocks so they wouldn't push on the rocker panels.

·
Banned
1,540 Posts
If I had a car I didn't care about, I would lift it from the pinch welds. When they are tired of buying rocker panels and ground effects they will change their lifting methods.

Jack

·
Registered
432 Posts
I always request floor jacks only.
I just visited a brand new Discount Tire facility here in the DFW area. Nice place and great people. But...

When they lifted my car on their "block lift" which I call it this because it is just big blocks to lift by the frame, my rocker panels were stressed in which I could see the plastic bowing out from the pressure due to both the design of the lift and our cars.

Knowing Discount Tire is a vendor and monitors this forum, I was wondering on what their take was on this and if they consider this safe for the rocker panels and if there is special treatment I should request on my next visit to avoid broken panels.

It does not appear any permanent damage was done to mine (mine have already been replaced under warranty with the new part#'s) but I can tell that they are still a bit bowed out a bit which I hope goes away on it's own soon.

I doubt that any harm was done, though i know what you are talking about. The proper way to lift a car is from the lift points, with a proper lift. That said the lift style you are talking about is 'dummy proof' and is designed to allow kids that are not experienced to lift a car enough to change tires.

Jacking a car is actually one of the worst options, as it will load the unibody unevenly and has a potential to cause more harm than good.

Lifting a car (any car) on the pinch weld isn't correct, you lift it on the lift point, which may be a small area of the pinch weld, or not, cars are all different. If you look under the car you will see the area of the pinch weld that is doubled up and stronger than the rest of the structure. This is the proper lift point. Some cars even have an additional lift point welded on that sticks down a bit lower.

bottom line, likely that nothing bad happen, but the potential is there.

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
They should not lift the vehicle in any manner that a part of the lift contacts the vehicle except at the designated lift points. period.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
I have had my car in for service and it was at a Discount Auto in Halifax, same thing they did not extend the mounting points and there for put undue stress on the rocker covers, ordered new one last week. Have been warning the garage ever since to make sure they lift it properly.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wonder if I could bring a set of 2x4's to set under the frame so no contact from the lift touches the rocker panels....:scratchhead:

·
Registered
298 Posts
Have to be real careful with this. I have had the same problem too, learned my lesson the first time, my rocker panels were buldged out and I almost lost it when it was at discount tire, but no harm done that time. So after that I made sure I always told them to lift the car correctly and never had a problem....until....I took the car to a muffler shop to get the bung for my AF gauge installed and welded and I forgot to tell them something and sure enough, I got back to pick car up and they scuffed the passenger side rocker panel pretty damm good. I didnt make that big of a scene, just told them they were idiots and be more careful next time and drove off. :smokin:

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
That said the lift style you are talking about is 'dummy proof' and is designed to allow kids that are not experienced to lift a car enough to change tires.
I understand what you're saying Rob, but maybe shops should teach these "kids" the proper way... When I first started working in a garage about 35 years ago, they took their time and taught me proper and safe techniques.

Seems like these days folks just don't take the time to properly train folks.

Mike

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
does anyone make jacking rails for these cars? They were pretty common in the fox body mustang scene.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I sell auto parts and equipment for a living so I am wondering what kind of lifts you guys are talking about.Was it "low rise" pad type lifts?.The reason I am wondering is because the typical 2 post lifts that I have sold and used have swing out adjustable
arms with height adaptors if needed.Unless these tire techs were complete dummies the rockers should not have had any contact with any part of the lift.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I sell auto parts and equipment for a living so I am wondering what kind of lifts you guys are talking about.Was it "low rise" pad type lifts?.The reason I am wondering is because the typical 2 post lifts that I have sold and used have swing out adjustable
arms with height adapters if needed.Unless these tire techs were complete dummies the rockers should not have had any contact with any part of the lift.
The ones I am talking about are the two arms that swing out and are adjustable. It is not rocket science, it just takes a little extra minute to adjust them to fit right, but most places are just going to set them and not check clearence and lift and get to work. I dont have my camera but I can take a picture of the nasty gouge they put on mine. it is very easy to get them to buldge, I did it myself the very first time I jacked it and noticed as I was going up, thats all it took for me to see, where I have set them at.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
The problem is most of the Tech are not taking the time to respect the cars they are working on. I had my van it and it got a ding in the door cause the tech swong open the door into the upright of the ramp.
Dont take your baby to a Discount Tire hoist. Bring it to your dealer and make sure its done right. Be sure to tell them you want to see it go in and out of the shop. No monkeys out for a joy ride.

·
Registered
298 Posts
The problem is most of the Tech are not taking the time to respect the cars they are working on. I had my van it and it got a ding in the door cause the tech swong open the door into the upright of the ramp.
Dont take your baby to a Discount Tire hoist. Bring it to your dealer and make sure its done right. Be sure to tell them you want to see it go in and out of the shop. No monkeys out for a joy ride.
I do prefer a dealer over anyone, but MAKE SURE YOU DO A WALK THROUGH with the service writer on your car before you drop off, my dealer just put a nice ding and scratch on my car and they tried to say it was already there, my fault because I should have did a walk through! But after some talking with the GM, they fixed it and is as good as new, well almost, lol. Other then that, the dealer is the best place you can take if there is any safe place

1 - 16 of 16 Posts