Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At first I suspected this was just some lame gimmicky feature but the SA at the local Porsche dealer where I take my cars told me he uses it in his 300. The benefit is it disables MDS.

I was disabling this by enabling sport mode but sport mode has the car a bit too touchy under some conditions.

The SA said -- because I asked -- he uses the transmission lever to shift. He doesn't like the paddles.

So I tried the transmission lever method. Ok on upshifts but I was not quite liking the downshifts.

Then after some more time I found the transmission will down shift on its own as the car slows. So most of the time when slowing I just let the transmission downshift.

If because of say traffic conditions I slow down on the highway then when RPMs get down close to 1K I'll downshift just to have the transmission in a lower gear and ready to go when traffic picks up speed again.

Ok I became comfortable with using the shift lever in manual mode.

Gave the paddles a try. Not bad. Not bad at all but my driving technique has me often moving my hands and repositioning them on the wheel for instance when making a 90 degree turn when driving on surface streets. And then when it is time to upshift I'm grabbing air instead of paddle.

If possible I either avoid repositioning my hands but leave them positioned so I can operate the paddles or revert to using the shift lever.

Anyhow, the manual shifting of the automatic is pretty slick and puts something back in the driving experience the lack of a true manual took away.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Manual shifting is a ton of fun. The paddles are great for temporary shifts, like a down shift then punch it, or up shift for better mpg. They suck for turning though. Been stuck in gear before until I could find the paddle. The shifter works great and sticks it in gear. It's always in the same place, but you have to take a hand off the wheel. It's nice having two options besides computer controlled auto.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Manual shifting is a ton of fun. The paddles are great for temporary shifts, like a down shift then punch it, or up shift for better mpg. They suck for turning though. Been stuck in gear before until I could find the paddle. The shifter works great and sticks it in gear. It's always in the same place, but you have to take a hand off the wheel. It's nice having two options besides computer controlled auto.
I'm learning to like the paddles. I have modified my driving style to leave my hands in place or to upshift to 2nd before I get too far into the turn. I seldom use the gear shift now in manual mode.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
I love using the paddles! You will find you can leave the car in D but still enjoy the paddles, and that's the best way to use them IMO because the car will automatically upshift with no hesitation at redline - but only at redline - otherwise it holds gears, and it goes back into drive on it's own once you stop using them for a bit.

It's fun bumping down a few gears, then blasting off, and if you hold the left paddle shifter for a second, it automatically finds the lowest gear available...then SEE YA!

I have gotten good at still being able to use the paddles while turning, took a little practice though.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I don't see why they don't put the paddles on the steering column and not the steering wheel. This would make them much easier to use in turns like on the exotic cars. All of the Lambo's and Ferrari's have them on the steering column where they should be in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I have the paddle shifters and manual shifting AT5 on my 2013 RT and absolutely LOVE it. I use the stick more than the paddles. I save tons on my brakes at highway speeds by grabbing 4th gear when some left-lane-hogging-knuckle-dragging-moron gets in my way. Use the down-shift on off ramps and for slowing into corners on winding country roads. I can drive miles and miles of country roads and never touch the brakes. I got over 60,000 miles on my original front brake pads, and still have the original backs at 65K.

I drive a RAM Rebel in the winter time (has that obnoxious rotary dial shifter and the only manual shifting is by two little buttons on the steering column). I find my self swiping my right hand at an invisible shifter when needing to downshift in traffic. Counting the days until March when the snow/ice/salt is gone and the Challenger is back on the road.

·
Super Moderator
15,339 Posts
I don't see why they don't put the paddles on the steering column and not the steering wheel. This would make them much easier to use in turns like on the exotic cars. All of the Lambo's and Ferrari's have them on the steering column where they should be in my opinion.
Since they make versions with and without paddle shifters - its cheaper to have them attached as button extensions on the steering wheel vs. having two different models of steering columns.

I agree that column mounted would be much better, since when turning the down paddle can be in the wrong position if you have the wheel turned more than 90*...

·
Registered
694 Posts
agree 100% about the a8 in manual mode. love it, especially when put my sp in sport mode. i use the stick as i feel the paddles are not the best design. on my '10 sho they are much bigger & extend downward so that when turning are usable. the only problem with the a8 is if you don't watch what you are doing you hit the rev limiter from 1st to 2nd. the torque on the 392 in 1st is just amazing & lightning fast up to redline.

·
Registered
550 Posts
The paddles, for me, offer a nice manual experience and add to the fun. Also, for those that may not be aware, you can disengage manual mode by holding in the right paddle for a second or two.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts