Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a reason the RT stock with a 5.7 can't come with 425 horses? Is it to cut costs? I'm just wondering how a 3.7 liter 370z gets 332 horses. The 5.0. has 420 horses from a smaller displacement, do they tune the 370z and 5.0. from the factory or add certain performance parts? The SRT is a 6.4. so 470 is expected lol. I just wonder if the 5.7 has the potential to have a lot more power stock? I love my Challenger but I always wondered if they just underated the power cause it feels alot faster than the 370 horses that is stated by dodge and it weighs 4k pounds so I wonder if it's underated cause no car this huge should move this quick lol. Especially with only "370" horses. My main question is how are smaller engines able to produce such power? and does the 5.7 have more potential than most people think?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Because the SRT gets 475 (plus other good stuff). Why would you spend 50k for 475 when you could spend 28k for 425? It's all the way they market these cars.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lol, I'm alright. I just wonder if Dodge held back with power or if the car is underrated. I'm just trying to understand what prevented the 5.7 from reaching 400 horses stock. The RT is awesome enough but it's hard to understand how a 5.7 can only produce 370 in this day and age, but I don't think it has 370 cause it's way too quick for only 370 horses.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lol, I know the RT has 400 torque atleast and that's what gets it up fast. Yeah, when my friends tell me their Camaro's and Mustangs have way more power I tell them I know but the Challenger surprises them when it's actually moving.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Lol, I'm alright. I just wonder if Dodge held back with power or if the car is underrated. I'm just trying to understand what prevented the 5.7 from reaching 400 horses stock. The RT is awesome enough but it's hard to understand how a 5.7 can only produce 370 in this day and age, but I don't think it has 370 cause it's way too quick for only 370 horses.
It's way too quick because it has 400+ lbs of Q ;)

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
5.7 - 345 cubic inches = 370 HP (375 6 speed) don't know what kind of miracles you expect?
Isn't a 5.0 a 302 cubic inch engine? Producing 420 horses? By those numbers I would expect the 5.7 to make atleast 430 stock but probably too close to SRT numbers for them to do that.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
It is all done with the effect of rpm. If you measured the Coyote at 5200 rpm, it would "only" be a 375 hp engine...how did it suddenly lose 50 hp, right? It all comes down to rpm.

The more extension you have into the redline, and you can hold some torque out there, it is easier to rein in big hp numbers. You might also be surprised to hear that, up to about 5500 rpm, the 5.7 L Eagle Hemi is actually the more powerful engine compared to the Coyote, when compared rpm to rpm. It's not by a lot, but it is definitely consistent with the impact that a bit of extra displacement gives ya. So what it really comes down to, what is really more important to you?...an engine that is more powerful for 89% of the rpm range of the other, or a weaker engine that manages to hit a bigger hp number only in its last 1000 rpm?

There is no correct answer to that, of course. It mostly depends on how you actually plan to use it. The higher pk hp rating is likely best for racing scenarios. The stronger overall engine (but not necessarily at pk hp) will likely give a better driving experience. If you're willing to do some engine work and tuning, there's nothing really stopping you from sweetening the top end output of the 5.7 Hemi, if you would still rather have the extra bump in pk hp. ;)

·
Registered
2012 challenger srt
1,951 Posts
Is there a reason the RT stock with a 5.7 can't come with 425 horses? Is it to cut costs? I'm just wondering how a 3.7 liter 370z gets 332 horses. The 5.0. has 420 horses from a smaller displacement, do they tune the 370z and 5.0. from the factory or add certain performance parts? The SRT is a 6.4. so 470 is expected lol. I just wonder if the 5.7 has the potential to have a lot more power stock? I love my Challenger but I always wondered if they just underated the power cause it feels alot faster than the 370 horses that is stated by dodge and it weighs 4k pounds so I wonder if it's underated cause no car this huge should move this quick lol. Especially with only "370" horses. My main question is how are smaller engines able to produce such power? and does the 5.7 have more potential than most people think?
The smaller engines. your talking about are either turbocharged or super charged. That's why they have those HP numbers. I will agree with you that the 5.7 and the 6.4 are under rated in HP by Chrysler. They both run a lot faster than they should.

·
Registered
2012 challenger srt
1,951 Posts
It is all done with the effect of rpm. If you measured the Coyote at 5200 rpm, it would "only" be a 375 hp engine...how did it suddenly lose 50 hp, right? It all comes down to rpm.

The more extension you have into the redline, and you can hold some torque out there, it is easier to rein in big hp numbers. You might also be surprised to hear that, up to about 5500 rpm, the 5.7 L Eagle Hemi is actually the more powerful engine compared to the Coyote, when compared rpm to rpm. It's not by a lot, but it is definitely consistent with the impact that a bit of extra displacement gives ya. So what it really comes down to, what is really more important to you?...an engine that is more powerful for 89% of the rpm range of the other, or a weaker engine that manages to hit a bigger hp number only in its last 1000 rpm?

There is no correct answer to that, of course. It mostly depends on how you actually plan to use it. The higher pk hp rating is likely best for racing scenarios. The stronger overall engine (but not necessarily at pk hp) will likely give a better driving experience. If you're willing to do some engine work and tuning, there's nothing really stopping you from sweetening the top end output of the 5.7 Hemi, if you would still rather have the extra bump in pk hp. ;)
Take the super charger off the ford 5.0 and you get 300 HP. Has nothing to do with rpm being higher on the smaller engines. Exampel a 6.4 392 470HP and 470 TQ pulls like a freight train up 175 MPH and will beat a super charged 5.0 in the 1/4 mile stock for stock and the mustang weights 700 lbs less. The mustang should be kicking ass but its getting its ass kicked and its name taken.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
I don't know what you are talking about...nobody was discussing a supercharged Coyote.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Take the super charger off the ford 5.0 and you get 300 HP. Has nothing to do with rpm being higher on the smaller engines. Exampel a 6.4 392 470HP and 470 TQ pulls like a freight train up 175 MPH and will beat a super charger 5.0 in the 1/4 mile stock for stock and the mustang weights 700 lbs less. The mustang should be kicking ass but its getting its ass kicked and its name taken.

The mustang gt making 420 hp isn't supercharged.... Neither is the 370z mentioned.

Reactions: Elwood617

·
Registered
157 Posts
Take the super charger off the ford 5.0 and you get 300 HP. Has nothing to do with rpm being higher on the smaller engines. Exampel a 6.4 392 470HP and 470 TQ pulls like a freight train up 175 MPH and will beat a super charger 5.0 in the 1/4 mile stock for stock and the mustang weights 700 lbs less. The mustang should be kicking ass but its getting its ass kicked and its name taken.
Wow, you really don't know what your talking about. Read up on other cars before you comment on them :)

·
Registered
2012 challenger srt
1,951 Posts
Wow, you really don't know what your talking about. Read up on other cars before you comment on them :)

Your right but don't tell me what I need to do. I was wrong and I said so. For some reason I was thinking every jap engine had a turbo and all mustangs came with a super charger. Lets leave it at that. I really don't know why I was thinking that but what difference does it make? Every one pointed it out and I agreed. Move on.

·
Registered
‘13 Challenger SRT 6M
2,817 Posts
I also think that the OP and some of us are forgetting about the existence of the 6.1L. The OP is wondering why the 5.7 doesn't put out 425. That's what the 6.1 did. I think Chrysler is making up for it though by giving the option of a 392 RT. So there's your answer. Also, wasn't the 5.7 first used in trucks? So if that's the case they figured they had something good why not throw it into a car, keep costs down without coming out with a totally new motor.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts