Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't know about the rest of you but the reverse lights on my 2009 Challenger sucked. After trying the easy route and just replacing the stock bulbs with "high output" LED bulbs AND still not being able to see squat behind me, I decided it was time for a change. I recently posted to this board asking if anyone has done anything to upgrade their reverse lights; The only real response I got, which I appreciated, was to buy a $75 light that bolted to the top of the license plate. I think it ended up costing the member over $100 because he had to buy something else from the manufacturer to make the light work.

I wanted to see if I could do it for cheaper, that is when I found these on Amazon: Kawell 10w Mini LED light bars (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LWJ0CP3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). Waterproof, glass lens, aluminum body. Seem legit..what the hell.
71AkEB5d4tL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

1) I started by locating the wires that control the Reverse lights and traced them to a location I deemed "out of the way". Power wire is white with a green strip, ground is black. In the picture what you're looking at is the black wire loom coming from the trunk lid to just under the rear deck. Nice and out of the way.
IMG_20200312_145050.jpg

2) I spliced the wires, wrapped them in electrical tape, and ran them behind the carpet to the passenger taillight.
IMG_20200312_145912.jpg

3) The large hole where the taillight plug comes through is the perfect place to route the Reverse light wire to the bumper. I did wrap this section of wire in additional electrical tape...just in case there was a rubbing issue.
IMG_20200312_145111.jpg

4) This is the location I chose; Lights fit perfectly. I made a cut-out to position the hole for the wires. (It's been dirty in New Jersey lately).
IMG_20200312_145946.jpg

5) It started to rain so I went into the shed and decided that black lights wouldn't look right. Using some self-etching primer I had lying around, I primed and then painted the lights to match the stock paint (Stone White).
The Duplicolor Perfect Match.....was close enough.
IMG_20200312_152131.jpg
IMG_20200312_152159.jpg
IMG_20200312_175557.jpg

Did Not photo the wiring process
6) I centered my cut-out as best as my eye would allow and drilled out a center hole large enough to run the wire through. I am positive there are better and brighter lights on the market, what I liked about these lights is they have a flat back with a single wire coming from the center. Perfect for flush mount applications where you don't want to cut huge holes out of your body.
81Ygm9afuWL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

7) To gain access to the license plate from behind, I had to remove both taillights, the two larger plastic screws and three retaining clips on the top portion of the black bumper surround. Once this section was loosened it gave me enough play in the top of the bumper to fish the wires through. I soldered the necessary wires together, water-proofed and zip tied them securely out of the way so they didn't shake about, and replaced everything in the order I removed them. The lights come with screws, but having such little room to work and not wanting to put more holes in my bumper, I secured the lights with some 3M double sided tape. Im reluctantly hopeful that they will hold.

8) Finished result.
IMG_20200314_133830.jpg

I will post a night time shot as soon as the sun sets.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Light Output

IMG_20200314_193524.jpg
IMG_20200314_193652.jpg
IMG_20200314_193758.jpg
IMG_20200314_193722.jpg
IMG_20200314_193758.jpg
IMG_20200314_193706.jpg

·
Premium Member
2008 Challenger SRT8 #1101
284 Posts
Nice job, looks good and appears the light output is much much better.

Thinking back, in the early 90s I took one of my vehicles that had the same issue and purchased high output projection fog lights for it, cut special holes in my bumper for them and wired them into my reverse.

Occasionally now I see cars coming with such a setup but with the invention of LED it gives you much better, low profile options such as what you found.

Once I get my Challenger back out from it's winter and wet spring nap, I will have to it assess my output and see if I need to do the same.

Thanks for sharing

·
Registered
2015 RT Shaker (STP/A8/FORGED/NAPPA/NO SUNROOF)
177 Posts
Nice work. I personally don’t like the look but man that lights up the road!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts