Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I will admit from the beginning that I do not have any knowledge that this will help, but it certainly cannot hurt. The best part is it's free and takes about 10 minutes.

I was wanting to do something about the underhood temps but I didn't really want to spend $80 on the functional scoops. Therefore, I decided to remove my stock scoop "plates" and drill them out.

It is a very simple process: Remove the stock plates. I didn't have a plastic removal tool so what I did was to wrap several layers of blue painters tape around the tip of two butter knives. I used these to gently pry the plates out so as not to scratch the paint. I then simply used the largest drill bit that would fit inside the little squares in the plates and drilled them each out. Then just knock off all the plastic bits and wipe the plate to remove any loose pieces. I also to the opportunity to clean the opening in the hood while the plates were out.

Then, I just snapped them back in and viola, free hood scoops.

You will notice in the pictures that you can see a little roughness around the holes that were drilled. You can only see this when you are really up close. From any normal distance you would never know the difference.

I believe it must help to some degree, how much, I have no idea.

Pictures below.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice. I want the functional ones, but 80 bucks is such a rip for two pieces of plastic that probably cost $1 tops. I may have to try this myself. :)
Another option, which I chose not to do, is to use a sabre saw to cut out the entire inside of the scoop.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Another option, which I chose not to do, is to use a sabre saw to cut out the entire inside of the scoop.
I was thinking the same thing, but worried about making it look clean. I guess you could always sand them down to get a smooth look and then shoot 'em black. Hmmm.....may have to try that.

At worst if I screw them up, it will force me to go buy the real ones, lol.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking the same thing, but worried about making it look clean. I guess you could always sand them down to get a smooth look and then shoot 'em black. Hmmm.....may have to try that.

At worst if I screw them up, it will force me to go buy the real ones, lol.
That was my thought too. I may still take them out and cut them, but for now I think all is good.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Question: I just bought and installed the functional hood scoops on my '11 SE. The functional scoops have an extension on them that goes all the way back to the underside hood opening, directing all of air (rain, dirt, bugs, etc.) back to those two openings.

My question is: Without these extensions, will the water, dirt and rain collect all on the inside scoop openings (cavity) of the hood? If so, what kind of problems would this present?

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Question: I just bought and installed the functional hood scoops on my '11 SE. The functional scoops have an extension on them that goes all the way back to the underside hood opening, directing all of air (rain, dirt, bugs, etc.) back to those two openings.

My question is: Without these extensions, will the water, dirt and rain collect all on the inside scoop openings (cavity) of the hood? If so, what kind of problems would this present?
I have no idea, but I intend to find out.

·
Registered
990 Posts
The part that you are missing is pretty important if you concerned abput air flow, water, dirt, bugs etc.....

I can return mine to stock should I want or need to.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am not missing anything, I know how the scoops work and direct all the air to the rear out of those ducts.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I'd think this would allow for more airflow if you did cutout the whole thing...

I say no problems without extensions. I say this because I removed the ENTIRE underhood setup on my SRT8 Charger... padding, ducts, etc. It's been bare metal from vent opening to engine bay for about 4 years... my engine bay gets no dirtier/wetter than before.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd think this would allow for more airflow if you did cutout the whole thing...

I say no problems without extensions. I say this because I removed the ENTIRE underhood setup on my SRT8 Charger... padding, ducts, etc. It's been bare metal from vent opening to engine bay for about 4 years... my engine bay gets no dirtier/wetter than before.
Thank you. That is good information.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
I finally took the plunge and drilled out my stock scoops, as well! I had the time to kill...why not?

Can't really say if it reduces underhood temps while running around, but I am inclined to say that it nicely allows venting of hot engine bay air after parking it. When you come back, the IAT isn't nearly as baked by stagnated air while you've been gone. So the my Hemi is now able to shake-off the heatsoak better upon startup. It's still been 90-95 deg here in TX, so it's still friggin' hot running around here, but I anticipate my underhood temps have seen hotter conditions when the hood scoops were closed.

Every little thing helps cumulatively, I guess. Between the removal of the brake reservoir hatch, the addition of the extended siphon scoop into the fender cavity, the insulation layer over my airbox and induction tubing, and now the ventilated hood scoops, I'm probably nicely ahead of the game of heatsoak resistance as far as other off-the-lot stock Hemi's. :)

My little additional tip for the drilling operation...you actually want to drill going from the visible side to the blind side. Seems to work out better than going the other way, as you punch through the last bit of plastic. If you go the other way, it hard to stop the bit from going further along and contacting the textured plastic of the scoop. You don't want nasty lines on there after the mod, right?

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T
2,991 Posts
Yeah that's definitely and easy/cheap way to make them functional, but I really hope you don't drive your car in the rain. Mines a daily driver, so I wouldn't be able to get away with doing that lol

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah that's definitely and easy/cheap way to make them functional, but I really hope you don't drive your car in the rain. Mines a daily driver, so I wouldn't be able to get away with doing that lol
Previous poster stated he has had vents like this for quite some time and reported no problem with rain.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I finally took the plunge and drilled out my stock scoops, as well! I had the time to kill...why not?

Can't really say if it reduces underhood temps while running around, but I am inclined to say that it nicely allows venting of hot engine bay air after parking it. When you come back, the IAT isn't nearly as baked by stagnated air while you've been gone. So the my Hemi is now able to shake-off the heatsoak better upon startup. It's still been 90-95 deg here in TX, so it's still friggin' hot running around here, but I anticipate my underhood temps have seen hotter conditions when the hood scoops were closed.

Every little thing helps cumulatively, I guess. Between the removal of the brake reservoir hatch, the addition of the extended siphon scoop into the fender cavity, the insulation layer over my airbox and induction tubing, and now the ventilated hood scoops, I'm probably nicely ahead of the game of heatsoak resistance as far as other off-the-lot stock Hemi's. :)

My little additional tip for the drilling operation...you actually want to drill going from the visible side to the blind side. Seems to work out better than going the other way, as you punch through the last bit of plastic. If you go the other way, it hard to stop the bit from going further along and contacting the textured plastic of the scoop. You don't want nasty lines on there after the mod, right?
Good job. I actually was thinking the same as you in that it should help vent the underhood heat when you park.

Again, it's not scientific but sure couldn't hurt.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I drilled mine out today too, very easy and I can feel the heat leaving the engine compartment from the scoops when the car is stationary.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T
2,991 Posts
Previous poster stated he has had vents like this for quite some time and reported no problem with rain.
Just because he hasn't had problems YET doesn't mean it's a good idea.:notallthere: Sorry for trying to look out for you, I just don't think a pool of water building up INSIDE the hood is a good idea. But if you think it's a good idea, go for it :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Fwiw, I think water can already get inside the hood, even when my scoops were closed. I notice this whenever I take it to the wash stalls and lift the hood to let the water drain off the bottom edge of the metal. Maybe there are channels inside there where the water preferentially goes to drain out the bottom when you lift the hood? The open hood scoops are probably fine as long as you aren't force feeding water directly into the scoops. I was not inclined to try that while at the wash stall, either. I only aimed at the hood from the sides, knowing that the scoops are now open. The openings on the underside were still bone dry upon inspection.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts