Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2020 sps ordered 5/20/20
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dodge calls them air catcher headlamps but they got a cap on the other side! Wanting some cooling air to come in and maybe a reroute for the left side to add to the shaker air plumbing, I started removing the caps. Had a t9 torx as suggested but found the t10 to fit better, but before that I actually removed the right side with two allen wrenches (wrong tool I know). Why two...I dropped one and it got lost. Taking out the filter on the left side allowed one hand to work on one side of the left cap. It was contorted wrenching and slow and finger painful. Borrowed a friend's low profile 1/4" drive socket to hold the t10 torx. Only room for one click, felt like 40 clicks to remove one screw! Remove those two plastic covers between the top of the grille to the frame for more access.

Okay, I seen them for sale here and there on the internet and they look cool, but some headlight intake tube/meshes cover the lit up LED rhombus pattern in the tube which I want to keep. Prices go up with options and I am cheap at that point. There's other designs set further in but hard to see (like it matters but I want some visual). And in the spirit of DIY pride I thought of this project. I got a 16 gauge 5"x10" perforated stainless sheet from Ebay (about $12), $20 "aviation shears" (straight cut, probably should've went curved but I want to do other projects), some extra plastic coated clothesline, super glue and E6000 glue (similar to Shoe Goo). Depends on the grille material you may not have to buy special shears. I had tin snips but the sheet thickness necessitated the use of compound shears.

First I cut a pattern using the old cap as a template. Knowing that the cap's diameter is different and I wanted the mesh to go in up to the lip before the LEDs, I cut on the inside of the line. Got pretty close. Man, those shears work good but I think I was up to the limit as to how thick they can cut. After half an hour of painful snipping I then got the clothesline and cut through the plastic coat with a knife to make a split cover and remove the metal wire inside. Cut split cover to length and applied some glue to keep it on. I could've used the E6000 but wanted the glue to dry faster so I used super glue. Upon insertion it was snug, but I put a few dabs of E6000 just to make sure.

Does it really help with cooling? Maybe, maybe not. May route left side to shaker assembly later. Its just a relatively cheap DIY project that I found to be satisfying, fun and easy, except for the cap removal part. Thinner gauge metal or screen could be used, maybe even those plastic grid patterns at the local craft store, painted to your liking.

Personal protective equipment Armour Helmet Eyewear Pattern
Audio equipment Product Microphone Muffler Grille
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Headlamp Automotive lighting
Headlamp Automotive lighting Car Vehicle Light
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Headlamp Automotive lighting

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,756 Posts
Those came out nice (y)

A Guy

·
Registered
2019 Challenger shaker 392 scat pack.
49 Posts
Nice! Always love when people show off a DIY that comes out bad ass.

im not crafty making things. I bought a 3D printed version from merrick motorsports for the passenger side

·
Premium Member
4,654 Posts

·
Registered
Plum 2019 SXT AWD
384 Posts
I would just like to add that I now officially hate you. Here I was thinking I was finally done messing with my Challenger and you opened up an endless blackhole of things I can do with these new found holes in the car. Well, at least it gives me something to research at work when I should be working.

·
Registered
2020 sps ordered 5/20/20
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lol, thanks everyone! RWL11, yeah, its a little crooked, might push it out and correct it, but I'm too lazy right now. A honeycomb style would be great looking, even if plastic, time to search the internet! Hmm, what else can one mount in there, a projector lamp of some sort? Camera?

·
Registered
Plum 2019 SXT AWD
384 Posts
Lol, thanks everyone! RWL11, yeah, its a little crooked, might push it out and correct it, but I'm too lazy right now. A honeycomb style would be great looking, even if plastic, time to search the internet! Hmm, what else can one mount in there, a projector lamp of some sort? Camera?
Just an insight as to how messed up my mind is, here are a few ideas that popped into my mind...
  • Actual cooling vents going to something
  • More lights of some sort
  • Glass snake/cat eyes.
  • Water cannons and have the trunk filled with a water tank
  • Wind turbine to charge or power something.
  • James Bond missiles
  • Deer whistle
  • Pure evil
  • Flame thrower
  • Fish bowl with goldfish or snow globe
  • Bubble machine

Okay, I could go on but enough of your time is wasted.

·
Premium Member
4,654 Posts
aFe makes a plastic intake tube that goes from the light intake that feeds the air directly to your air box. it's called the Hellcat Air Intake mod. See post #8, the article explains why Dodge did it.

I have one of these aFe intake tubes for sale, it's doesn't fit the 2020 intakes tube. For sale, cheap! I bought the 2020 version.

Merrick Motorsports makes the cool intake rings, add some bling to your car:

Reactions: Gcsps

·
Registered
2020 sps ordered 5/20/20
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cool ideas guys and thanks for the links....looks like I can still shove a tube ring in there and still have the mesh (but would lose the led lit rhombi in there). I was researching about the hellcat intake, will possibly be a future mod to do. Is that all I would need? . A spinning turbine thing huh...I used to make little turbine things that spun in my exhaust on my old Vstar motorcycle...that would be fun to see as the Challenger gets up in speed...for the outside viewer, of course.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts