Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Kind of an apples and oranges question I know, but it's where I'm at this minute. This whole exhaust conundrum is driving me up a wall. Basically I need some info. Keeping in mind my R/T is stock except for the Mopar CAI.

I want a good classic muscle car sound, but I don't want drone in the cabin. The Corsa exhaust is the obvious solution, but by most accounts I've read it's a little too quiet lol. Wouldn't be so bad if it weren't also the most expensive option. Also how is the regular Corsa, vs the Xtreme system?

I like the idea of cut outs because I can have the sound when I want it(and then some), and shut it up when I don't. From what I've read the cutouts don't offer much if any HP gain, but it seems most catback exhausts don't add much either, the stock system is pretty good. And I sure like the price.

But also they say the cutouts are welded into the stock system, so is that gonna raise eyebrows at a dealership with regard to my lifetime powertrain warranty?

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Kind of an apples and oranges question I know, but it's where I'm at this minute. This whole exhaust conundrum is driving me up a wall. Basically I need some info. Keeping in mind my R/T is stock except for the Mopar CAI.

I want a good classic muscle car sound, but I don't want drone in the cabin. The Corsa exhaust is the obvious solution, but by most accounts I've read it's a little too quiet lol. Wouldn't be so bad if it weren't also the most expensive option. Also how is the regular Corsa, vs the Xtreme system?

I like the idea of cut outs because I can have the sound when I want it(and then some), and shut it up when I don't. From what I've read the cutouts don't offer much if any HP gain, but it seems most catback exhausts don't add much either, the stock system is pretty good. And I sure like the price.

But also they say the cutouts are welded into the stock system, so is that gonna raise eyebrows at a dealership with regard to my lifetime powertrain warranty?
I'm pretty sure the dealers can find a way to "question" your warranty with cutouts that are more than likely @ the headers, that'll richen your engine if I recall with that much increased flow if you randomly do it, that's the only thing with cutouts...drastic pressure differences, sometimes you can get backfires with them as well, I know when I used cutouts on my Toyota every so often with it wide open I'd get a random backfireish sound, never with it closed.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Either way you're modifying a certain part of your exhaust system. If all you're interested in is Corsa then I would say go with the cut-outs. I have an MBRP system and wasn't all that happy with the sound, so I got cut-outs and I love them. Having the option to open and close them at will is awesome. I only use mine to make a grand entrance or exit, lol. THEY ARE LOUD!!!! but you can open them a bit for a mild sound or full open for an ear bleeding, head pounding sound.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found some old posts, one guy said the cutouts have a 100% fail rate, though he doesn't explain how they fail. Any clue what he means?

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I found some old posts, one guy said the cutouts have a 100% fail rate, though he doesn't explain how they fail. Any clue what he means?
I've never owned DMH but I owned two of the QTP Cutouts, yes, they do not last forever...each of mine even though "QTP has the "highest rated cutouts" or so they claim, had motors that burnt out within 4-6 months, max 8, simply due to strain on the motor.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
why would you want your car to sound like a caddy with a rusted out exhaust? does that sound good to anyone?

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
why would you want your car to sound like a caddy with a rusted out exhaust? does that sound good to anyone?

LOL, this guy.

DMH has warranty. One of mine stopped working. I sent both in, he didn't even fix it, instead he sent me a NEW one. Actually two new cutouts. I jacked my car, took off the cutout plates and reinstalled the new cutouts. Piece of cake, no questions asked.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts