Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2011 392 SRT, 2010 R/T Classic, 2019 R/T Plus, 2016 SXT Plus
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a used 2016 SXT. Doesn't have the shield under the engine that gets in the way of oil changes.

If it came with one I'll need to find a replacement. Please let me know.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
361 Posts
SXT and RT do. Don't think 392's do

·
Registered
2017 T/A 5.7 A8 front and rear strut braces frame connectors
1,272 Posts
Yes it does the chances of it falling are slim to none unless it’s broken.check the place that you got the car.if you have to buy one i would check the junkyard I think all the v-6 models wether its a jeep or challenger if not luke @ steve white motors

·
Registered
2020 HellRaisin 1320
216 Posts
Does the shield down there even matter? No other vehicles I've ever had came with one. I'm sure it'll help keep things cleaner down there, and maybe help with aerodynamics??. Honestly, I was already planning on taking it off when I get my Challenger and not worrying about putting it back on. If anything maybe it'll let some of the heat around the engine escape better. And unlike a real skidplate a thin piece of plastic isn't going to provide THAT much protection.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Good thought gouge 93 I’m thinking its just something so when pop up the hood it looks nice.i have a friend and I brought my car to his house he says pop the hood i wanna see the engine I said all your gonna see is a big piece of plastic.think about how many guys take those tops off and run the plastic valve covers

·
Registered
2020 HellRaisin 1320
216 Posts
Good thought gouge 93 I’m thinking its just something so when pop up the hood it looks nice.i have a friend and I brought my car to his house he says pop the hood i wanna see the engine I said all your gonna see is a big piece of plastic.think about how many guys take those tops off and run the plastic valve covers
I think the OP is referring to the cover underneath the engine, the one you have to take off to access the oil drain plug. That's the one I was talking about.

BUT, I agree on the top shield too. It's all a matter of personal taste, but even the 392 half covers I'll be taking off Day 1 that I get my Challenger. I just rather see engine than plastic too. My Avenger has the same 3.6 Pentastar as in the Challengers and I took that plastic cover of first week I had it too. Not that the 3.6 intake manifold looks good, it's pretty ugly actually and is plastic too, but I'd still rather see that than a plastic cover.

Again, that's just my personal taste, nothing against people that like them or dress them up or paint them. That all looks good too, just not for me on my car.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I think the OP is referring to the cover underneath the engine, the one you have to take off to access the oil filter. That's the one I was talking about.
Lost me there. Aren't the 3.6 motors the same in the wranglers. The same 3.6 with a canister filter on top of motor?

·
Registered
2020 HellRaisin 1320
216 Posts
Lost me there. Aren't the 3.6 motors the same in the wranglers. The same 3.6 with a canister filter on top of motor?
FIXED IT...

Yes, you're correct, I was thinking about the 6.4 in the Challenger. But the drain plug is still on the bottom so maybe on the 3.6 Challenger it has the same shield underneath that has to be removed to access the drain plug as well? Guess I was just assuming all Challengers have the same under engine shield.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I think you’re right gouge if that’s the case I would stick that bottom shield back why would anyone have to remove that.when I bought my wrangler I searched for about an hour for the filter finally found it by google.i like that filter on top like the 3.6 has its a breeze to do an oil change

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,828 Posts
Belly pan, and yes, your SXT should have one

I've never had mine off, change oil and filter from the top

If you want to go aftermarket

BJs Garage used to have a nice one, but they went belly up I believe

A Guy

·
Registered
418 Posts
I think it adds some protection for the belt. Keeps that area cleaner and might some cleaner aero under the car.

·
Registered
2010 Challenger SRT8
48 Posts
If you don't have the belly pan, could your front spoiler get stuck in one of these when parking too close and hitting reverse?

That happened to me before, but I didn't any of the below. Almost took my whole bumper off.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
FIXED IT...

Yes, you're correct, I was thinking about the 6.4 in the Challenger. But the drain plug is still on the bottom so maybe on the 3.6 Challenger it has the same shield underneath that has to be removed to access the drain plug as well? Guess I was just assuming all Challengers have the same under engine shield.
LOL. I just wanted to make sure I was reading that right

·
Super Moderator
15,563 Posts
Does the shield down there even matter? No other vehicles I've ever had came with one. I'm sure it'll help keep things cleaner down there, and maybe help with aerodynamics??. Honestly, I was already planning on taking it off when I get my Challenger and not worrying about putting it back on. If anything maybe it'll let some of the heat around the engine escape better. And unlike a real skidplate a thin piece of plastic isn't going to provide THAT much protection.
the engine shield (aka belly pan) is there for aero management (less lift at speeds) and probably assists with airflow through the engine bay front grille > radiator > under body.

There would be less air pressure under the body, so this helps to draw the air out from engine bay and make it flow out rather than turbulence and have air pressure build up in engine bay.

and it does help keep things cleaner, less road spray and grit.

I've worked on a couple of Challengers that people bought used that were missing belly pans - the alloy oil pan tends to get very pitted / oxidized and there's road grime on k-member, steering rack and so forth.

Even worse if on roads that get salted or brined for winter weather conditions

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Belly pan, and yes, your SXT should have one

A Guy
Thanks.

Ordered.

This car was bought used with 51K miles on it. Who knows where it got lost. I'm just trying to put it together and make it right again. Knocking out the issues one by one.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the engine shield (aka belly pan) is there for aero management (less lift at speeds) and probably assists with airflow through the engine bay front grille > radiator > under body.

There would be less air pressure under the body, so this helps to draw the air out from engine bay and make it flow out rather than turbulence and have air pressure build up in engine bay.

and it does help keep things cleaner, less road spray and grit.

I've worked on a couple of Challengers that people bought used that were missing belly pans - the alloy oil pan tends to get very pitted / oxidized and there's road grime on k-member, steering rack and so forth.

Even worse if on roads that get salted or brined for winter weather conditions
Mine will get a thorough cleaning of the undersides before the new pan goes on.

·
Super Moderator
15,563 Posts
Thanks.

Ordered.

This car was bought used with 51K miles on it. Who knows where it got lost. I'm just trying to put it together and make it right again. Knocking out the issues one by one.
either the former owner removed it, it was damaged and not replaced. Especially if the former owner was one of those that would run the front over parking curb stops.

or someone went to those quickie oil change places and it was left off

Reactions: A Guy

·
Premium Member
3,229 Posts
If you don't have the belly pan, could your front spoiler get stuck in one of these when parking too close and hitting reverse?

View attachment 994462

That happened to me before, but I didn't any of the below. Almost took my whole bumper off.

View attachment 994461

View attachment 994460
There's 1" more ground clearance with the SXT and R/T without STP than vehicles with STP and SRTs. I always had enough clearance with my SXT and all of my R/Ts except the 2012 R/T I had with STP. I BARELY tapped a concrete block with that one and heard a loud crack. Turns out that the lower grille is a much larger piece than just the visible grille. That piece also extends down and into the void of the softer plastic spoiler under the bumper cover, to support it. So if you tap the front spoiler, you're probably cracking the lower grill piece as well.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts