Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine says his SRT Magnum runs better with one step colder plugs, but he has not data logged for proof.

Has anybody experienced less knock with a colder plug?

1,931 Posts
A colder plug might help with donation but it is a band aid. If the engine is having problems with the recommended plug then there is an issue that needs to be addressed.....I would not use a different heat range plug than what the engine was designed to use..

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts
A friend of mine says his SRT Magnum runs better with one step colder plugs, but he has not data logged for proof.

Has anybody experienced less knock with a colder plug?
In theory it should have less KNK but it may also cause more unburned gasses which over time would be worse. Forced Induction or NOS you use colder plugs as the head temps are much higher. A 180 Stat and lower fans settings will do more for you or water/meth to increase your octane.

·
Premium Member
2,979 Posts
That may help because it did help some back with the 60s engines but - I would exhaust all better fuel possibilities before going that route. Running BP 93 fuel I get acceptable ST KNK retard. Running Shell 93 I even had significant LT KNK retard and fuel knk retard. Unless you data log, you really have no idea what is going on.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That may help because it did help some back with the 60s engines but - I would exhaust all better fuel possibilities before going that route. Running BP 93 fuel I get acceptable ST KNK retard. Running Shell 93 I even had significant LT KNK retard and fuel knk retard. Unless you data log, you really have no idea what is going on.
Waumo - its interesting that you mentioned BP. I always used Chevron 93 as it was on my short commute to work. They just changed it to BP. So you say BP is one of the better gasolines for acceptable KNK retard? Are there any better?

I'm a big fan of the 69-72 Grand Prix btw.....I have its cousin - big block 72 Monte for like 25 yeears :D

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Didn't do squat on my 6.1L

Still had 2-4 degrees of ST knock with 1 step colder plugs. (On the STOCK tune) I drove it for a few weeks with the colder plugs before I put the Procharger on it.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Waumo - its interesting that you mentioned BP. I always used Chevron 93 as it was on my short commute to work. They just changed it to BP. So you say BP is one of the better gasolines for acceptable KNK retard? Are there any better?

I'm a big fan of the 69-72 Grand Prix btw.....I have its cousin - big block 72 Monte for like 25 yeears :D
Here in the DFW area Chevron gives me the least amount of knock out of all brands. If you are still seeing knock then the next step is a catch can.

First try to make sure its "true" knock. Get a bottle of NOS octane booster (only one I have tried that works) with the 70 or 7 full points. Then log. It completely eliminated my knock so I knew from then that it wasnt false.

·
Premium Member
2,979 Posts

I think you have to try various brands in your area. The gas here all comes from one bulk distribution site and they mix the additives for the different brands at the point where it goes in the tanker - so results may vary.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Yo Crush! Haven't seen you? Just a note on fuel, it may be time for you to do the TECHRON
fuel system cleaner (not just the injector cleaner). Did it - felt it. With your miles it can't hurt. Key is not to run a tank on a single trip, but best results are when you allow the car to sit with the cleaner doing it's job, then run, then sit, then run...etc. Wouldn't be a bad idea on the "Monte" either ! As for fuel, I only use Shell 93 (on Linton - high volume station). NEVER had a knock. I've seen the heads off on a Shell 93 exclusive use engine, the valves were immaculate. Sold me. Also, great advice from "TNCHARGER", he knows the guys from AMP, all grail. Be looking for you !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts