Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a Rt automatic and might be asking santa for shorty headers..Do I need to add the midpipes also? anything else that should be upgraded if im doing headers(already did custom exhaust)

·
Registered
752 Posts
If you get shorty headers all you need is the headers. Not sure of what brand you will purchase. I have JBAs on my Charger. You will NOT need new midpipes. I would suggest using OEM Mopar exhaust manifold gaskets and a good set of bolts to bolt thenm to the heads.
Be sure you order them for an 09-10 car as the 06-08 heads have different exhaust ports.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was looking at the JBA...did you get yours coated?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Heh..just run the STR exhaust...works great Headers to tips
AS I understood it would get better performance from the Jba shortys.Is that not true and where would one get the whole setup?

5,134 Posts
Your performance level will be similar with either JBA headers or SRT clamshells. The problem with the SRT stuff is that you'd either need to get the complete SRT midpipes and catback since it's a larger diameter or have your R/T pipes enlarged by a muffler shop.

The JBA shorties will bolt right up to your stock midpipes.

·
Registered
197 Posts
This is true..If you go SRT you would be better to go the full setup..which can be found very easily..But if you are just looking to get better flow than the OEM R/T manifolds..you wouldnt be wrong to go aftermarket. The OEM SRT exhaust will hang in the same hangers (Direct Fit) and after the Header install..will take no time at all to install..The KILLER is going to be installing the headers..doesnt make any difference what they are...SRT or Aftermarket! Heads OFF is easier and Big Time quicker..Heads ON...Dont plan anything that day...your going to be busy!!! Other than that it's just personal prefrence..I ran the SRT on a Charger R/T and had a lift and all tools needed..did them same time I did Cam/Springs/Lifters..I picked up Headers for 190.00 shipped and All the rest of a SRT Exhaust for 150.00 and he threw in a OEM Airbox as well. You can have your mids Flared for Cheap to mate up with the Headers..I have seen 4 peeps do it that way..Worked well.. Basically it's what you want to spend...what work you can/cannot do..and what performance you looking to acheive!!!

·
Registered
752 Posts
the bigger SRT pipes will slow the velocity down on the 5.7 causing more low end loss than the 5.7 has now. BUT on the top end they would flow better.

Basically it's what you want to spend...what work you can/cannot do..and what performance you looking to acheive!!!

Well said !

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you get shorty headers all you need is the headers. Not sure of what brand you will purchase. I have JBAs on my Charger. You will NOT need new midpipes. I would suggest using OEM Mopar exhaust manifold gaskets and a good set of bolts to bolt thenm to the heads.
Be sure you order them for an 09-10 car as the 06-08 heads have different exhaust ports.
Found a good deal on the headers so im going to pull the trigger ,which bolts are considerd a good set that I should get?

·
Registered
251 Posts
I just put on the JBA's Thanksgiving day and used the bolts that came with them. Didn't see any reason why shouldn't. I did use loctite on the bolts and they have lock washers. I don't see them coming loose being an issue.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just put on the JBA's Thanksgiving day and used the bolts that came with them. Didn't see any reason why shouldn't. I did use loctite on the bolts and they have lock washers. I don't see them coming loose being an issue.

Do you have a auto or stick and what kind of performance gains did you get?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've read nothing but good things about JBA shorty headers and am also looking to add them to my '09 R/T Auto. Aside from adding power, does adding new headers give you more noise? I am having a Borla catback exhaust system installed in the next couple of weeks and am hoping to get more of the classic muscle car sound out of my car. If adding headers will help and get me the power, I will have to make the move sometime early next year.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Found a good deal on the headers so im going to pull the trigger ,which bolts are considerd a good set that I should get?

I used Percy's bolts on mine thinking that they might be better than Stage 8. But there isn't really enough room to be messing around with locking bolts. I recommend using stock bolts.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Do you have a auto or stick and what kind of performance gains did you get?
I have an auto and already had the Mopar (Borla) exhaust. I need to drive it more as I only had it out that day for a bit and left the next day to deer hunt in PA. I am heading back tomorrow and hope to run the car in the 1/4 at rockingham again this weekend. it actually felt a little stronger, but really they are only 6 or so HP gain from what I understand.

The sound seemed deeper as well and it actually seemed to take a little of the drone away that I had.

I will report back after this weekend.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
I had the JBA shorty Silver ceramic headers installed on my car by the dealership. Just picked the car up about 20 minutes ago so I really havent had a chance to wring her out yet. Also purchased the JBA catted mid pipes last night and a Corsa xtreme catback system. So once they come in and get them installed I will let everyone know if the mid pipe is worth the investment.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I had the JBA shorty Silver ceramic headers installed on my car by the dealership. Just picked the car up about 20 minutes ago so I really havent had a chance to wring her out yet. Also purchased the JBA catted mid pipes last night and a Corsa xtreme catback system. So once they come in and get them installed I will let everyone know if the mid pipe is worth the investment.
I live near you and have a question. I sent you a PM.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts