Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just had a my resonator.and muffler removed and installed welded stainless steal straight pipe. Do I need to get a tune up now? The mechanics I brought it to seemed pretty knowlegable and fair so I figured they would mention it, if it needed to get done plus they would get more money. What do you guys think?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,782 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk Dpandolfo. You shouldn't need a tune for any cat back mods. A Guy

·
Registered
132 Posts
The cars' cpu will adjust everything automatically if need be.

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,325 Posts
You do realize you just lost horsepower, especially in the bottom end don't you?? I bet the drone has to be hella bad too. I removed my reso's and it was horrible.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,782 Posts
Yes, I was referring to anything from the cat...back :D

A Guy

·
Registered
90 Posts
So I just had a my resonator.and muffler removed and installed welded stainless steal straight pipe. Do I need to get a tune up now? The mechanics I brought it to seemed pretty knowlegable and fair so I figured they would mention it, if it needed to get done plus they would get more money. What do you guys think?

No you don’t, and you lose a lot of low end power when going straight pipes from the car back. The drone is also really annoying to the point I put flow master Flow FX mufflers on mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
116 Posts
you dont need a Tune up or a Tune with just doing that.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
At first I removed the resonators on my car, I liked how it sounded louder..but the low end felt weaker for sure. Loss of back pressure. After I installed a Borla Cat-back and runnin a tune it helped quite a bit. I also add a little bit of fuel at lower RPM ranges with the tuner. But I tell yeah, maybe it's just me but with the stock exhaust with resonators and all the car felt quicker lower down...just proves Dodge had the factory exhaust tuned perfectly to the 5.7..it was just too quiet for me. It is what it is!

·
Registered
800 Posts
Another one of these “back pressure” arguments. No such thing. Never has been. Put that out of your head. Myth proven time and time again.
Exhaust velocity and scavenging are what you are worried about. These CAN be affected when going to straight pipe but that depends on the setup.
No you don’t NEED a tune up unless you went to some inordinately large diameter piping (in which case you should change that instead).
Back to back dyno runs will show zero loss anywhere when going to a properly sized and designed straight pipe setup. You will gain top end.
If you get it tuned, yes they can adjust the a/f ratio to allow the motor to pump the exhaust out at the rate it should for the increase in velocity that a straight pipe system allows for.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Another one of these “back pressure” arguments. No such thing. Never has been. Put that out of your head. Myth proven time and time again.
Exhaust velocity and scavenging are what you are worried about. These CAN be affected when going to straight pipe but that depends on the setup.
No you don’t NEED a tune up unless you went to some inordinately large diameter piping (in which case you should change that instead).
Back to back dyno runs will show zero loss anywhere when going to a properly sized and designed straight pipe setup. You will gain top end.
If you get it tuned, yes they can adjust the a/f ratio to allow the motor to pump the exhaust out at the rate it should for the increase in velocity that a straight pipe system allows for.

I was just stating what the tuner suggested we do, but I evidently lost low end when I went straight piped, the car fell flat on its face below 3.5k rpms before the retune. After the retune we gained some back in the 2.5k rpms. I rode around straighted for a few months and finally caved and got flowmaster flow fx mufflers put on and immediately noticed a difference all the way down to the 1.5k rpms she came alive again with the same tune.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts