Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at sway bars for my RT and am debating between the Eibach (1 3/8 Front) and Hotchkis (1 1/2 Front) kits. They are both hollow with the same diameter rear, but I'm wondering if they'll make the ride much stiffer. This is still a street car, so I don't want to feel every crack in the road.

What do you think?

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
I'm sure somebody with specific knowledge of this vehicle will chime in but in general they only come into play when one wheel tries to move differently that the opposite one. So if you hit a bump with one wheel, then yes they make the ride rougher. If both wheels hit the same bump, like an expansion joint across the highway, no difference.

I have installed sway bars on older cars that didn't even come from the factory with one at all and it only made the car handle better, not make the ride worse.

·
Super Moderator
15,969 Posts
I have the Hotchkis set on my car (R/T 6-speed) for the past 2.5 years now - when going down the road - no the ride isn't stiffer when both L & R tires encounter the same surfaces.

If the road is uneven L vs. R side, there more action from the swaybars, especially in the rear, you get some more motion left to right/ right to left, but thats about it.

You still have a comfortable ride for the day-to-day driving. The differance in cornering is a big improvement - the body stays much flatter and you don't have that uneasy feeling in the curves like the stock setup is.

The rate increase is 100% on the front bar and 150% for the rear with the Hotchkis kit for the Challenger.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The reason I ask is because I'm in the middle of installling the SRT strut kit and decided that if I'm going to install bars, now's the time while it's apart. It's already going to be stiffer with the kit, so I don't want to spend another $400 to find out it's too stiff to enjoy on the street.

I'm sure I'll love the bars on the track, but I can still throw it around the corners and have just as much fun without them. Our laps aren't being timed and I'm not planning on x-cross, so if it pushes and rolls a little bit, I'm okay with that.

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
If you want a better rear sway bar without going aftermarket, you could get the bigger Super Track Pack rear sway
Works like a champ... same one they've been using on the cop cars.
Remember you have to buy the isolators for the STP bar as they have a larger hole to slide over the bigger bar.

P05180016AA > Rear Sway Bar = STP & Police Pursuit Package
P05180017AA > Sway Isolators = For STP & Police Pursuit Rear Sway Bar

I just ordered this last week...
The Sway Bar came in right away, but the isolators have to come from the national warehouse and take longer to get.
Nearest dealer to me with them in stock was in NY, next closest was in SC

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'm looking at sway bars for my RT and am debating between the Eibach (1 3/8 Front) and Hotchkis (1 1/2 Front) kits. They are both hollow with the same diameter rear, but I'm wondering if they'll make the ride much stiffer. This is still a street car, so I don't want to feel every crack in the road.

What do you think?
Merlin509,
The ride won’t be stiffer or more jarring by adding Hotchkis sway bars. Stiffer prings, performance shocks, and low-profile tires are what mostly affect the ride. The sway bars control body sway and lateral traction by making the left side of the car do what the right side of the car is doing (and vice versa) when you go around a corner.
There are many customers here on ChallengerTalk that run Hotchkis TVS kits on their Challengers. Maybe a few will chime in. You can always call our tech department toll-free if you have questions about our products and how they affect your car and ride quality.
1-888-735-6425

1 - 6 of 6 Posts