Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 275 tires and was looking at putting on OEM mudflaps to help keep some crap off. Granted I will never intentionally drive the car in the rain and car will sit during winter.

So for those of you that have flaps on - do they help? Or should I just have some clear bra put on?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Yes they do especially in the rear. The front will get some spray from the tires being 275s especially when turning but still keeps the car much cleaner then without them.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
I had my first wash with them on on Sunday. So far so good. Even before I washed it, I noticed that there wasn't as much dirt being kicked up. Like Javier said, they'll still kick up stuff since they are so wide but it's better than nothing.

·
Registered
146 Posts
If they help .... yes! I really recommend to install them, mopar OEM look great I think and they will save your lower body panel from rock chip. I'll get you some pictures what it does when you don't have that and you drive your car for 1 year how much damage it does.

·
Premium Member
9,376 Posts
If you have sticky summer tires they spray road grit even more. The flaps are a must have. Rub your fingers on your plastic rocker panels, bet they are rough from micro dings, no that's not removable dirt specks.

·
Registered
119 Posts
They are a big help. Keeps road grime and small rocks from hitting the paint. Stick with OEM, much better quality and fit.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,121 Posts
Adds 10 HP >:)

A Guy

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have the 275 tires and was looking at putting on OEM mudflaps to help keep some crap off. Granted I will never intentionally drive the car in the rain and car will sit during winter.

So for those of you that have flaps on - do they help? Or should I just have some clear bra put on?
Absolutely. Helps protect the paint from rock dings and tar. Not perfect but better than nothing and since they're cheap why not?

·
Registered
96 Posts
mud flaps

I can't speak for the factory mud flaps, but I installed a set from ZL1 addons on our scat and they work pretty well. They are thin and flexible and fit on the inside lip of the fender and quarter panel. Hardest part of the install was removing the rear tires to get the rivets out. The only issue I felt that could be better would be the fasteners to hold the rears on could be alittle better. They give you new ones that push out when you screw them in. They work ok, but I am replacing mine with new factory rivets. Cost is similar or maybe alittle cheaper than the OEM version.

Ben

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can't speak for the factory mud flaps, but I installed a set from ZL1 addons on our scat and they work pretty well. They are thin and flexible and fit on the inside lip of the fender and quarter panel. Hardest part of the install was removing the rear tires to get the rivets out. The only issue I felt that could be better would be the fasteners to hold the rears on could be alittle better. They give you new ones that push out when you screw them in. They work ok, but I am replacing mine with new factory rivets. Cost is similar or maybe alittle cheaper than the OEM version.

Ben

I wound up putting OEM ones on, went on pretty easy and did not have to remove rear tire. As on the rear you can reach behind the fender and using a wire snip, snip the back of the rivets then the rivets pry out pretty easy.

You do have to drill one hole on each side of the rear, but with a little coordination you can drill out the hole from the back inside fender. Yes it's a little awkward doing this, and you have to use your left hand on one side and right hand on the other; but you are only drilling through plastic so pretty easy.

And OEM flaps have great fasteners / hold well.

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker and 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,882 Posts
After having not used mud-flaps on several of my earlier Challengers, I now use them all the time! They definitely help, I use the Mopar guard versions AND Xpel on the rear quarters for maximum protection. Guess what? My quarter panels are chip free!!! Plus they stay much cleaner. The latest design (2015-now) of the mud-flaps look so much better than the earlier 2008-2014 versions.

·
Registered
346 Posts
While mud flaps will not increase your actual hp they will increase your apparent hp by keeping all the dirt off your car. (well not all the dirt but most).>:)

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
While mud flaps will not increase your actual hp they will increase your apparent hp by keeping all the dirt off your car. (well not all the dirt but most).>:)
Yes they WILL! (It is a running joke, play along. Stickers, emblem and stripes ALL add horsepower. Now apparently as A pointed out so do mud flaps)

·
Registered
346 Posts
Oh then that explains why my T/A is faster now. And I thought it was just apparent. Go figure. In any event....just do it!

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Oh then that explains why my T/A is faster now. And I thought it was just apparent. Go figure. In any event....just do it!
That's the spirit!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts