Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had driven a used 5.7 Challenger at the dealer. A week later went back and drove a 2015 6.4 Challenger and I might be crazy but the power felt the same to me. I know it's about 100 hp difference. Has anyone compared the power?

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I had a 2010 with a 5.7 and now have a 2016 with the 6.4. Huge difference in how the power output feels.

·
Registered
9,351 Posts
I had a 2010 with a 5.7 and now have a 2016 with the 6.4. Huge difference in how the power output feels.

They only feel the same if they are in "D"...............and you just idle down the road! lol

Like JonW. I've had a '10 and now a '16 392. Very noticeable difference in feel and performance between the two.

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
945 Posts
Yep, you're crazy for not able to tell the difference between a 5.7 and a 6.4 especially 110 hp and more 60 lbs-ft per yet 100 less rpm torque difference. :)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would assume there's no valet key to lower hp other than that maybe something caused it to have less power. I might have to drive a different 6.4

·
Registered
211 Posts
I've driven the 5.7L, 6.4L and super charged 6.2L. All 8 speed auto. There is a huge difference between the 5.7L and the 6.4L. The 6.4L doesn't have the valet mode, or different keys for different HP levels like the Hellcat. Try another 6.4L or you had that one in a million 5.7L

·
Premium Member
3,690 Posts
The 6.4L car must've been broken, or upbadged. At 30 MPH, drop the hammer, you will feel the difference. 5.7L is a nice powerplant, but the 6.4L makes it feel like a completely different car. I made the wonderful mistake of test driving a Scat Pack, traded my 5.7L in a week later, and never looked back.

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
688 Posts
The low end torque on the 6.4 was what was most noticeable to me.

I've driven both types of cars with both transmissions (A8 & M6) and found a very noticeable difference from the 5.7 to the 6.4. Both feel pretty good though.

Of course my butt dyno might be a bit more sensitive than some?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is the power difference noticeable on the highway when doing about 60 and punching it?

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
9,230 Posts
No they feel totally different, just driving easy you might not notice but if you stomp it down hard or wind it out in gear you will notice the difference. I had a 2010 R/T that I traded for a 2014 SRT and noticed a big difference, especially at the track.

·
Super Moderator
15,379 Posts
Is the power difference noticeable on the highway when doing about 60 and punching it?
The 5.7 would "come alive" by 4k rpm and runs out of breath just beyond 5k (power peaks 5,150rpm). With the 5.7, there's a slight sag ~ 3.6k rpm, then it picks up.

The 6.4 will pull hard all the way through its peak @ 6,100 rpm. It feels like it will just keep on going

the 6.4 earned the name "torque monster" for many reasons.

If you drive very sedately in town, there's some differences at low speed, but not as apparent. Higher rpm or heavier throttle, you'd notice.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Recently traded my 5.7 for a 6.4 and just cruising around in my opinion it feels about the same but when you get on it holy s**t that's when you see and feel the difference.

I also noticed from a 60 roll and romping on it at the point I would hit 80 mph in the 5.7 in the 6.4 I'm well over a 100mph not even realizing I was going that fast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker and 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,881 Posts
I owned two 6.1s before and my current 5.7 with the 8-speed feels and pulls similar, however like mentioned above the 6.4 really blows the doors off any un-modified 5.7, no question.

Kind of off-subject from OPs original question but...Interestingly I got to drive a 2010 5.7 R/T 5-Speed Auto again the other day and I was surprised how heavy the steering was and the change in gears in that 5-speed auto was noticeably more challenging than my 2016 SXT 3.6 8-Speed Auto. I got back into my SXT after that and I was happy to be driving it than the 2010 R/T!! (Which to be fair is 6 years difference in technology/suspension/brakes/transmission/MDS)

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
When I first got my 2015 SRT, the throttle was really touchy, and the car was sort of hard to keep from lunging forward in traffic. After a PCM update by the dealership, this was tamed, a TON. Like, too much. It's a completely different car now.

I was recently looking at some 2016+ PCM configs, and it appears that the throttle voltage is slowly ramped up, now. It's a gentle curve, that suddenly rolls in a ton of power when most of the pedal is pressed. I'm guessing this is what I'm feeling as the difference in my car, and why you didn't feel much of a difference. You really need to give the 392 a lot of pedal now to get it to wake up.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
The 6.4L car must've been broken, or upbadged. At 30 MPH, drop the hammer, you will feel the difference. 5.7L is a nice powerplant, but the 6.4L makes it feel like a completely different car. I made the wonderful mistake of test driving a Scat Pack, traded my 5.7L in a week later, and never looked back.
I took both for a test drive. Didn't get on either, not really. So they didn't feel far apart. That power comes in further down the pedal. I would think. When actually they aren't close. That is why they put all the parts from the 6.4 to try and go faster on their 5.7s. Never quite get there but......... they like to play.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I own a 6.4 Challenger and test drove a 5.7 Charger and the Charger felt weak and as if it had no balls compared to my 6.4 Challenger.

Put the 6.4 in Sport and hit it half way throttle from a stop.

Then get rolling and floor it.

After you do those 2 and get in the 5.7 and cannot tell the difference then my friend it sounds like you should get a 5.7 or perhaps the V6.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I drove a 17 R/T and a 17 Scat Pack, back to back (both autos). I ordered a Scat Pack. The difference was night and day, in my opinion.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I didn't check to see what mode it was in. I wonder if it was on a pretty slow mode.
See thats your problem right there, you want to make sure to take it out of that slow mode. The best fix for that is having someone else be in the driver seat, that usually fixes it.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts