Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gonna replace tires with 275/40/20 and was wondering what tires shops use new or used TMPS. Going with continental Extreme contact DWS06 :)

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,438 Posts
You should ask the shop fitting/mounting the new tires. Probably unless you ask the shop will reuse the old TPMS modules.

The couple of times I have had to replace tires fitted with TPMS the shop (dealer) reused the original TPMS modules with the wheel.

I note your car is a 2016. The TPMS modules are going on 6 years old. Not sure how long the modules last but 6 years they are closer to the end of their service life than to the start of it. If the ones on the car now get reused you could soon have TPMS errors due to aging sensors.

You can I guess roll the dice and see. If one then does manifest a problem my advice would be then to just bite the bullet and have all 4 replaced rather than doing this piece meal. All 4 corners start out with new sensors.

You have the expense of the new TPMS but also the cost to have the old ones removed and the new ones fitted. This requires the wheels be removed the tires dismounted the TPMS module replaced the tire remounted and balanced and the wheel put back on the car.

There is good case to be made to when fitting new tires with "6" year old TMPS modules to just replace the modules at the same time the new tires are fitted.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,147 Posts
Any shop that doesn't try to sell you TPMS will have their salesman's membership removed ;) Unless your TPMS are newish, I'd be getting new ones myself

A Guy

·
Registered
2018 Pitch Black SXT
5,395 Posts
When I got new tires the tire shop rebuilt my TPMs before installing the new tires. The rebuild usually includes replacing the rubber seal, washer, securing nut, valve core and valve stem cap. From what I read the battery usually lasts from 7 to 10 years and since it is sealed in the module the TPM has to be replaced when the battery is bad.

·
Super Moderator
15,720 Posts
Well, mine are 9 yrs. old now and no issues, soooo, take that for what you will.

You are fortunate, but it's not worth taking a chance. If someone is getting new tires and the TPMS are 6 years old, they will probably fail before the tires are worn out. Then you will have the expense of dismounting the tires, installing the new sensors and re-balacing the tires.

·
Super Moderator
17,458 Posts
I'd look at replacing them - mine are 6 years old (still have the 275/40s I put on them) and I know when i replace the tires (they have 54K with a lot more tread life remaining) I'll change the out.

Otherwise, its a whole another trip and paying M & B fees to deal with old TPMS sensors that will have the batteries go out - I had one go intermittent and had to replace that one the other year

Reactions: ljb2148 and vpzyck

·
Premium Member
2021 M6 Shaker RT
249 Posts
I want to lol. All this discussion/concern about TPMS sensors. How did we survive without these?

At our shop we rebuild the sensors with new seals/hex ferrule/valve core/cap. These things are not free, we do not recommend any unless the light is on prior to tire service. Not uncommon to see functioning sensors on 15 year old cars.

My 2 cents say don't worry about them, but yeah I'd replace all 4 when one fails. Retail for 4 at our shop is around $75 each, most people don't wanna add $300 to a tire purchase. And, about half of the customers won't replace them, opting for standard rubber valve stems instead.

Also, never use metal caps on these sensors. Sometimes those will seize on the end of the stem, ruining the functioning sensor.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
My 09 was still on its original sensors when I sold it at 11 years old. I imagine they were about done.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts