Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this isn't Challenger related, but hey, a MOPAR is a MOPAR. So does anyone think they'll ever make the Viper again? This was the last year for them.. again. This has happened before (where they stop production then start production a few years later) opinions?

·
Super Moderator
15,397 Posts
Odds are it might be something that's derived from whatever the MY '21 Challenger and potential Barracuda (if that happens) are based upon.

The issue with the Viper - $85k base, manual trans only and had few driveline components shared with any other vehicles.
With the sales being in the 200 - 300 per year, it was not something that could be sustained, especially with a dedicated assembly site making only that model. The plant would frequently be idled, since there was excess inventory as an on-going issue.

In order for it to be viable, the shared components would help keep a niche vehicle around.

GM sells > 35K 'Vettes per year, and never interrupted production due to slow sales since the model came out.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Well there was 1983.....probably not technically due to slow sales but had they actually produced it it would have been.... :lol:

Speaking about the Vette.

edit for I do think they will make another Viper.....

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
They may awaken it from it's sleep one day, if the need arises and the conditions are right. Something tells me the lap records are pretty well established for the time being. It doesn't have to remain in production in order to remain the best.

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,352 Posts
Fiat's in business to do one thing: to MAKE MONEY. So for the very same reason our Challenger is likely to continue (more are sold each new year than the previous), Vipers will likely be phased out permanently.

Oh well, such is life.

Actually, I'm not a Viper fan. If I was given one I'd likely sell it. The Challenger is everything I ever wanted.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
I could see it happening after all the ewww and ahhh of the Demon wear off. Those 2 cars would be in direct competition with each other. I could definitely see a 2 seat mopar in the future. Maybe the Dodge "Spark" concept will make it to production.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Look at the financial health of its owner and ask yourself if the company will actually continue as a going concern with out being sold off into pieces, not whether the Viper will ever return. It won't return as a Dodge model and Dodge may not even exist the way it does now. And before anyone asks if I have inside information just look at the chess pieces on the board and the strength of the company...

·
Registered
162 Posts
If they do and if they want to be competitive with GM, it would be great for them to do a 6.1L or 6.4 L motor with a twin turbo setup and ditch the v10. Lighten up the car a little bit and make it a real "american exotic"

Its too iconic for it to go the way of the dodo for too long.

·
Super Moderator
13,871 Posts
The low-production Viper was Dodge's halo car. Now they have the Demon to get potential buyers excited about the Dodge brand and increase showroom traffic.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT
694 Posts
Having the good fortune to drive one around Road America during the SRT Experience in 2015 [ it's last year of driving at different tracks throughout the country]...It was 'fun'......

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
They will likely have something in the future. The problem with the viper is that car could only fit the narrow v10. My opinion is that they will design something that can use the hellcat power train.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,347 Posts
I thought the kiss of death for the Viper was when they came out with the Hellcat. Now you have a V-8 making more HP than a V-10. I know they are totally different cars, but the price of Vipers is way beyond Hellcat territory. I guess it comes down to sales volume, and the Viper doesn't have much?

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I think they will at some time, if the overall Company remains in good health. There's certainly an exclusivity in owning a Viper as compared to the dime a dozen Chevy sports car. (this doesn't mean I don't like them, just they are so commonplace)

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Someone in previous post said FCA was going down the tube but it seems things are looking up.
Note that all the big three profits are down in N America,and all show gains in the world market

Not sure of the return of the Viper,but at some point I believe there will be an American made sports car by FCA.
Who knows where the parts will come from.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/chrysler/2017/07/27/fcas-profit-jumps-strong-global-results/104037108/&ved=0ahUKEwivuP261cDVAhUK7yYKHUsNDmIQFggmMAE&usg=AFQjCNHXk2D3bi8O5oR7ITB_OwSYHiY8Yw

·
Registered
2012 R/T
108 Posts
The issue with the Viper - $85k base, manual trans only and had few driveline components shared with any other vehicles.
Can you say Challenger SRT Demon? Maybe if the Viper wasn't butt ugly they could sell at least 3k per year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
577 Posts
I think the Demon is the better halo car anyway since it better represents what Dodge is selling, generates 'realistic' buzz, and IMHO will lead to more sales of the cars people acutally buy. Personally I never understood the connection with Vipers or the Ford GT regardless of how great both are/were. Similarly, as a kid I thought Nascar was much more influential when the cars run were actually closer to what you would buy. Once they became so far removed, they seemed irrelvant and I lost interest.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Fiat's in business to do one thing: to MAKE MONEY. So for the very same reason our Challenger is likely to continue (more are sold each new year than the previous), Vipers will likely be phased out permanently.

Oh well, such is life.

Actually, I'm not a Viper fan. If I was given one I'd likely sell it. The Challenger is everything I ever wanted.
Pardon my language, but that's a load of shit you heard from someone else.

Daimler-Benz was there to make money by cranking out boring rental fleet fodder, and then they bailed and plundered the coffers.

The Demon is there to garner interest, yes, but there are simpler ways of making money and FCA isn't taking them.

The Viper got the axe due to safety regulations, not profit.

To Answer OP's Question: I think Dodge is going to ride out the Demon interest until the new Challenger comes out and either continue with that or bring back the new Viper equivalent.

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,352 Posts
Pardon my language, but that's a load of shit you heard from someone else.

Daimler-Benz was there to make money by cranking out boring rental fleet fodder, and then they bailed and plundered the coffers.

The Demon is there to garner interest, yes, but there are simpler ways of making money and FCA isn't taking them.

The Viper got the axe due to safety regulations, not profit.

To Answer OP's Question: I think Dodge is going to ride out the Demon interest until the new Challenger comes out and either continue with that or bring back the new Viper equivalent.
You are wrong, and you may be right.
You are wrong in that I didn't copy that from anyone else. When I do, I try to give credit to the source: sort of like I quoted you in this response. If I wasn't as right as I thought i was, that would be my fault and not the fault of anyone else that I copied, as you suppose.
You said, "...safety regulations, NOT profits." Hmmm. I can't agree until I do a little more research, but perhaps that was indeed part of it. I didn't think of that, nor did I read that in any of the studying I did prior to writing my original post. However, consider this: though safety regulations can be dealt with, profits on the other hand, can not.
Since you made your post, I did a little more reading. I found an October 2015 article by "Automotive News" that spoke of the language of the contract between the UAW and Fiat/Chrysler. I knew nothing about this until just now. You might want to read it HERE
It says that indeed profit WAS THE reason of the demise of the Viper, and the decision was made 2 years ago. But it's just one short article. I don't believe it's conclusive enough to prove much. But I should say that I don't think you or I know for sure exactly why big corporations do what they do, no matter how much we read, or attempt to evaluate a sad situation. But I think we do agree that it's sad to see the end of the Viper. I appreciate what you said even though the wording was a little harsh :)
That said, could you elaborate on the issue that Viper safety regulations have caused for the brand, and why they couldn't simply be corrected as opposed to discontinuing a legend?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts