Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
i wont consider being stop for doing 120 a challenger reason only...:huh:.. I had a trans am .. and an eclipse both of them i will get pull over for tints or anything on weekly basis.. the chally not at all .. and i have 5% tints and loud exhaust:redblob:

Reactions: gtu22

·
Registered
61 Posts
Nope. Never been stopped. I had a MINI Cooper S and got stopped all the time with the same driving habits.

All I've ever gotten from police is thumbs ups, nice comments, and a Charger police car revving his engine at the lights.

That being said, I don't have tints or and aftermarket lighting that might draw unwanted attention. I also don't really drive like an a**hole.

Reactions: DJ Hemi and gtu22

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Aside from too gung ho of a cop for window tint I've been more less left alone. I've been pulled over a couple times for speeding and rightfully so. The window tint harassment is a joke. Even my friends who are cops admit that they just use it a probable cause to pull over a car they want to look at. Driving on 75 at night through Crisp county in a Dodge is apparently something that this officer did not like.

·
Super Moderator
14,184 Posts
I haven't experienced this problem with my hemi-orange SRT.

Here is some information from Edmunds about driving a flashy color car:
  1. The "Red Car Bias" Myth #1: A commonly held misperception is that red cars tend to receive more speeding tickets than do cars of other colors because of their flashiness. There's also the supposed optical illusion created by their color that makes the cars appear to be going faster than they really are. These are both fascinating theories, but the fact is, according to Carolyn Gorman, vice president of the Insurance Information Institute and Insurance Trade Association, "there is no data to support the assertion that red cars receive more traffic tickets than cars of any other color." Still, the urban legend has been so widely accepted in American society that it has spawned the driving myth discussed below.
  2. The "Red Car Bias" Myth #2: One can't help wonder how many car buyers have shied away from red cars because they believed owning one would cause higher insurance rates than those commanded by cars of other colors. However, even though some studies have suggested red cars are involved in a disproportionate number of accidents, according to Gorman, "there are no major insurance companies that consider car color when determining your rates." Basically, says Gorman, what it comes down to is "people with good driving records and who also drive safe vehicles typically have the lowest car insurance premiums."

·
Registered
968 Posts
I know my car attracts cops. I've been pulled over out of the middle of a group of otherwise average cars going the same speed

·
Premium Member
9,658 Posts
No and once they see I'm not a young guy they appear to be less inclined to do anything.

Reactions: wasp392
1,931 Posts
Having been a LEO years ago and still have a lot of LEO friends I know that most cops pay no attention to cars like the Challenger, Charger or Camaro unless they themselves are muscle car fans. The Hondas, Toyotas and other imports with the loud fart cans driven by invincible teenagers are what catch the LEO's eye.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I would have to say yes... Just because of the area that I live in out here in the mid-west... Some Cops like it... Others are looking for a prereq to pull you over. The thing is: Know your rights. I don't do stupid things like I'm 17 or 18 anymore. Never have illegal drugs or weapons on you or in your car. If you do ride around like that ( Stupid ) Never :nono: say yes to a search. If they want you that bad make them get a warrant for search. But not to harp on the bad stuff that some do. Some Cops are Car guys and just like your Car. I have had 2 or 3 Cops here wave me down (No Lights) just to tell me how good my car looks. One thing to keep in mind you may not be the only person in the area with a challenger that color. Others do some crazy things and get away with it.... A cop will see your car and want to see if it was you that was doing the mischief... :smoker:

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Having been a LEO years ago and still have a lot of LEO friends I know that most cops pay no attention to cars like the Challenger, Charger or Camaro unless they themselves are muscle car fans. The Hondas, Toyotas and other imports with the loud fart cans driven by invincible teenagers are what catch the LEO's eye.
Pretty much sums it up!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I thought that i'd have problems with it, but actually no the cops haven't seemed to notice. Impala on the other hand..... wow. Everybody wants to pull you over from the Border Patrol to the local Sheriff.

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
No..it's not the car.
It's how you drive
:D

.........^^^^^^^^^^^
................This

Keep it at the speed limit, and you won't get pulled over; simple. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Yes...

Haven't got a ticket yet, "The Heat" is always eyeballing me. I drove like a "maniac" for 5 years in my tuned VW GTI. I routinely exceeded 100 mph going to work. Never got a single ticket. I think the cops thought it was a VW Rabbit.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I havent had a problem yet but I got my car in late October and have only driven it for about a month before letting it sleep for the winter. We'll see what happens when the 20% tint goes on and the summer comes.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
588 Posts
Have you ever been stopped by a cop just because you were driving a Challenger?
Everyone has different experiences but mine so far has been... YES.

Im 44 years old. Been driving the same route to work for the past 13 years and never been pulled over. In those 13 years I've gone through 5 different cars. None of them were flashy. Just 4 door cars in typical silver/gray colors.

I got my Hemi Orange Challenger on 10/05/13. Ten days later I get a speeding ticket doing 43mph in a 35mph zone that has 2 lanes on each side. That speed limit is too slow for this route but regardless I got pulled over for the first time.

The female officer recognized me, from the gym, so as she's writing out the ticket we were chatting a bit. I told her that I've been driving this route for years, at pretty much this same speed, because at 5am traffic is really light and never had an issue. I'm not justifying me breaking the law, just saying.

She was honest and said that my car stands out...A LOT and that this time I just got caught.

Ever since I've had this car, I've noticed more officers looking at me. I mean it could be because they like the car but regardless, i'm noticing it.

Just last night I had a state trooper tail me for about ten minutes. You can sure bet I was going 55-58 mph as Im watching other cars slowly pass me up going little faster but yet officer friendly chose to look at my ass for awhile...lol

Its all good though. I'm more aware of how fast I'm driving now.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Once:

It was about 4AM as I was pulling out of the gas station on my way to work. As I am pulling out a cop was pulling in. I didn't think nothing of it and I look in my rear view mirror and there he is. I assumed he was going to bust me for tint but no. He followed me for about 5 miles before turning on his flashers. I pull over, grab my requisite paperwork, lower both the drivers side and passenger side windows, and wait for the cop. He comes up and asks me for my paper work and then asks, "Why were you driving like that?" I say driving like what, I was just getting gas. "Where did you come from?" I replied my house. "Where do you live?" I told him and then he asked if I was downtown to which I said no. He then walk back to his car and another officer shows up. I hear the second officer say he got a good look at the guy. He walks up and takes one glance and says that I'm not the guy. First cop then tells me a car matching mine was acting like an idiot in our small downtown area. Gives me back my paperwork and tells me to have a good day.

The thing of it is, I am the only Hemi Orange R/T Classic in town that I know of. Challengers really don't exist much in my city, I think I might be one of 5 that are regularly driven and I'm pretty sure I am the only orange one with white stripes. There is an orange Camaro that I see that early in the morning, driven by an older black male and doesn't strike me as the type to drive like an idiot. I've tried to get him to play a couple of times and he just let's me go. So I have no idea who this mystery car is.

But our cars do stand out especially if you have a high-impact color. I've been pulled over three times for excessive speed but no ticket as of yet. Only one had me on radar, the other ones were behind me as I was driving like I stole it.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I havent had a problem yet but I got my car in late October and have only driven it for about a month before letting it sleep for the winter. We'll see what happens when the 20% tint goes on and the summer comes.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Even though the State of Illinois allows for tinted windows, the city of Chicago, because it's considered a "Home Rule" will still pull you over for it from what I have read. Some of the burbs are still "Home Rule" as well, but I don't think they enforce it like in the city. I run 20% on my truck, but only 30% on my Challenger.

As for being targeted in the Challenger - I have had no issues with law enforcement, never been pulled over for anything. I don't drive like I'm 20 years old anymore either. I'm sure most cops enjoy cool cars too.

·
Banned
5,786 Posts
I dont think mine is a magnet per se, but the Toxic Orange in the midday Arizona sun just pops, so I can see myself being the one pulled over even if Im just going with the flow of traffic. This is why I rarely use the left most "passing" lane, I dont want to give a cop the impression that I am moving faster than traffic. I did get my first traffic ticket the other day, but that was in town and I was speeding. Lazered me from 1000 feet, so he could not tell the car and it was a deserved ticket. 57 in a 45, although I honestly had no idea I was going that fast, but I was just coming off the highway..

1 - 20 of 43 Posts