Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I witnessed a classic 1962 Corvette convertible getting a wash at a car wash. My question is this would you bring your baby (of course your car) to a car wash to get cleaned.

Attachments

·
Registered
540 Posts
If I had a 1962 Corvette convertible, no... But my R/T Plus is meant to be daily driven, and I do my best to keep her white paint as well taken care of as possible, but I do from time to time go to a place in Palo Alto to get washed, clayed, and waxed when I don't have time myself before a meet-up.

I know I'm getting a few love marks here and there (those spider web like micro scratches in the clear coat), but I never planned on keeping mine for decades. Also, so far it's just a few here and there when the light hits it at the right angle, and since I never corrected the factory orange peel, it's no big deal.

I care more about the damn brake dust that my 18" factory aluminum wheels seem to be a magnet for. Looks crappy the day after a wash with some driving.

For a daily driver, it's not sacrilegious to have someone else wash your paint.

For a classic like that 62 Vette, oh hell yes it is!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Depends on the carwash. There's a local chain I use for my SRT, and they recently bought out another local hand-wash-only chain and I use the hand-wash location for my '69 R/T convertible. But no, I won't run either one through a self-serve carwash tunnel, especially not a gas-station carwash or similar!

And I have to be honest- washing detailing is my least favorite thing to do with my car, and I'm not that picky about it. On the other hand- Nobody but me EVER changes my oil and filter, as well as most routine maintenance. That's way too risky to let anyone else do.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I go to one near me that is an independent business and have no complaints. Early bird special is $8 which includes wax and cleaning the wheels/tires. Been there at least 8 times and am happy with the wash it gives.

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
I use a touch less. Seems to do a better job than I can.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Nope!

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I use a hand (brush) wash every week for my car, mines a daily driver and I wash it every week, sometimes twice. I can't wash my car at home because the water around Austin is full of limestone, so it'll spot your car really bad before you can even wipe it down. Every once in a while I take it to a detail car wash and let them wash it because these guys do an outstanding job.

·
Premium Member
N/A
1,814 Posts
I use touch less just got back. When the weather is better I will hand wash

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Machine wash twice a week for my daily driven Challenger. Then I take it home and finish it...get the wheels, right, do the tires, vacuum, quick detailer over anything missed, etc. And I won't waste my money on a touchless wash. If the car isn't already clean, that's pointless. Currently the car is 8 months old with 9K miles, has had 4 coats of wax applied by me, and has won a trophy in 3 out of 3 shows entered.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I take my SRT to a car wash
$26.00 but they do a really great job . Every 3 or 4 months I personally apply driven marine wax . It really protects the paint and looks great. ( & easy to apply & remove )

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
hand wash, no one or anything else touches my car.

·
Premium Member
7,318 Posts
I use a touchless car wash when it's too cold to wash it by hand.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
I use a touchless car wash when it's too cold to wash it by hand.
Yep me too, and the touchless wash I go to has an underbody water included in "The Works Wash." I go every week during the winter when it snows to get the salt off the underbody.

I do wash it by hand in the summer/fall though.

I do all the waxing myself. I took it to the 5 min. wax at the car wash I go to and they put cheap wax that I could barely feel/tell it was on there. Won't do that again.

·
Registered
420 Posts
hand wash, no one or anything else touches my car.

+1 if it was a daily driver it would be different, for me any way... if a drive is taken for something other than pleasure, i have a couple of trucks that can take door dings and scratches like no other....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Like HDWrenchTX, we're in a drought as well, so no more driveway washes & honestly car washes aren't that bad. I've yet to encounter any issues, but then again my car is vinyl wrapped.. actually, I unknowingly ran over some wet paint recently, but thank goodness it hit the vinyl and my paint is safe

1 - 20 of 35 Posts