Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker, 2010 Plum Crazy R/T Classic, 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,936 Posts
Yesterday I got ran into by a big SUV. I think it’s going to be totaled I’m not sure I need other opinions.

That’s alot of damage, every panel on that side has to be replaced and you have bulkhead and “A” door pillar damage as well. It’s possible to fix this, I have seen it done before. It’s a matter of what your insurance company or rather his insurance company says.

·
Premium Member
9,671 Posts
Air bags deploy? Does it drive and track straight? Most importantly, you weren’t hurt I hope.
I don’t think it’s a total but it’s whats underlying that matters.

Reactions: sdr2711

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
I'm no expert but doesn't look like enough damage to total it to me.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
If I were you I would ask The body shop to please push for it to be totaled. It will probably never be the same and the resale value just dropped drastically.

·
Registered
537 Posts
If I were you I would ask The body shop to please push for it to be totaled. It will probably never be the same and the resale value just dropped drastically.
Good luck with that..... The body shops want cars NOT to be totaled so they can do the repair and make money. If its totaled they make nothing because the insured driver will just go out and buy another car. These shops know the "totaled" value and will make sure they keep their repairs under that figure. I saw it happen to a coworker who got t-boned at an intersection. Less than a year old Acura "something" which looked like a pretzel. Yup, they fixed it becuase the estimates from three different body shops were all just below the "total" figure. I hope the OP makes out ok, :|

·
Registered
6,546 Posts
It just maybe if the diminished value is high enough. Personally I would not want that car after that much damage.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
The insurance company will make the call on whether it's totalled or not. If it's not, be sure to inquire about a Diminished Value Claim to compensate you for the reduction of resale value due to the collision repair.

·
Banned
87 Posts
Depends on if and how much you owe on it. If you owe too much on it the insurance won't total it, they will fix it.

·
Registered
6,546 Posts
Depends on if and how much you owe on it. If you owe too much on it the insurance won't total it, they will fix it.
Totaling a car does not mean paying it off... Hence gap insurance, plus if you owe less than the cars value, you get money over and above pay off.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
RESET. We all jumped into advice on the repairs, insurance, etc.... We should all pause for a moment of silence out of respect for the grief Torrence Dunn must be feeling (even if it didn't come out in his post)..

Pause.

Pause.

Pause.

Now get that black beauty back on the road!

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,006 Posts
Sorry to read about your unfortunate accident.

Apparently no one was hurt so that's good news.

Hard to say if the car will be totaled. That type of damage can be repaired -- just about anything can be if one is willing to spend the necessary amount of time and money -- but while I'm no expert I'm always a bit leery of side impact damage.

Things get pushed out of place and side impact damage is especially difficult to repair. It requires a skilled and experienced shop with an insurance company standing behind it with essentially an open check book.

If air bags or seat belt pre-tensioners deployed that adds to the cost to repair and nudges the car towards being totaled.

Doesn't look like the wheel got hit but if the car suffered suspension/steering damage that's another nail in its coffin.

I see no signs of any coolant or other vital fluid leaks.

You have some leverage as the other driver's insurance company has assumed responsibility but the insurance company is certainly going to try to spend as little as possible to bring the car back to its pre collision condition. And you can be sure your definition of what that means is not the same as the insurance company's definition.

Check out this site:

https://www.mopar.com/en-us/services/collision-assistance.html

to see if has anything on Dodge collision repair. You are looking for a document that spells out in some detail the repair process, where one might find a suitable repair facility, etc.

What should happen is the car gets partially disassembled and placed on a special bench, alignment rack, that can accept special gauges that allow the body repair shop to assess just how badly bent/damaged the car is. What is checked are hard point positions which control how well body panels fit, the door fits, and so on. While on the rack if hard points are found out of position they are pulled into position.

Essentially the goal is to bring the car's shape, it geometry, back to what it was when it rolled off the assembly line. This is the only acceptable starting point for a repair.

This takes time and time costs money. But this step can't be skipped, or even just done half assed, or the car is not repaired properly. While it might cosmetically -- to the untrained/inexperienced eye -- look ok it is not ok.

Check the web site at the link I provided above and educate yourself in car collision repair and specifically Dodge car collision repair.

You want to ensure you pick a place that is qualified to do a proper evaluation of your car's condition, make a high confidence estimate of how much damage there is and what it will take to put it right. I can tell you after several accidents -- not my fault -- with my other cars the estimate is only the starting point. The amount of damage and the cost to repair will go up as the body shop gets into the repair. The final cost can be easily 10% and 25% higher.

This repair process takes time. You can't rush it. You might be entitled to a rental car while your car is out of commission. Here in CA I think one is allowed $50/day for 30 days.

UP to you but when I had my Porsche 996 Turbo in for repair after it encountered a mule deer (which turned into a $25K+ repair) I visited the body shop and took pics of the car being evaluated after some running gear has been removed, the bumper covers removed, etc.

Then as the repair progressed I visited the car and took more pics of the repair process. I have pics of factory new body panels being prepped for painting for instance.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I am a Collision Repair Professional. It's impossible for me to tell from the picture. It all comes down to the hinge pillar, if it was damaged and how much.

Fenders, doors and 1/4 panels are easily replaced.

Make sure you let your adjuster know that you will be going after diminished value and that you will be getting an independent post repair inspection.

Your insurance company will lie to you at every step if it will save them money.

Your car can absolutely be correctly repaired, the hard part is finding a quality shop. Remember, you are the vehicle owner, you are in charge.

I always recommend CollisionSafetyconsultants.com for diminished value assistance and post repair inspections, if they are in your area. I'm familiar with their work, but I'm not affiliated with them in any way.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Good luck with that..... The body shops want cars NOT to be totaled so they can do the repair and make money. If its totaled they make nothing because the insured driver will just go out and buy another car. These shops know the "totaled" value and will make sure they keep their repairs under that figure. I saw it happen to a coworker who got t-boned at an intersection. Less than a year old Acura "something" which looked like a pretzel. Yup, they fixed it becuase the estimates from three different body shops were all just below the "total" figure. I hope the OP makes out ok, :|
That's only true of bad, poorly ran, desperate shops.

Good shops, ran like a real business, absolutely love totals!

A total is the easiest money a shop can make. Storage fees ($60 a day outside, $85 a day inside, $200 a day if it's in a repair stall, administration fees).

This can be thousands for doing basically nothing. I have seen payouts of over $9000.

Fixing a total is the worst thing a shop can do, if that shop wants to make money.

·
Registered
598 Posts
You never know. I have a 2007 Suburban LTZ with 270,000 Miles. We had a huge hail storm with racquetball sized hail back in 2011. It cost around $5,000 to PDR it. I don't know how they managed to fix all of the dents but they did and I could see no signs of the damage.

Last year, a tree fell on the same suburban while my wife was driving it and I thought for sure the insurance company would total it. The front fender, hood, windshield, right windshield pillar, sunroof (glass and entire frame), both passenger side doors, roof, roof rack, area above the right rear window and antenna were all damaged. They had to cut off and replace the original roof. Original estimates were $8,500 in damage. After repairs, it was near $11,000. I could buy a used 2007 Suburban with a lot less miles for slightly more than that but the insurance company still repaired it. The repair company did an excellent job. The roof seams look factory. I did have a leak but it was because one of the sunroof tubes came loose. Zip tied them and no more leaks.

·
Premium Member
2013 RT Classic
537 Posts
I would say, no. A new front fender and door, repair the rear quarter panel and paint it all. As others said though, the value of the car will be drastically reduced so you need to be compensated for that too.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
The only way that your insurance company will "total" your car, is if they can make more money off of the salvage sale. The parts are worth more than the whole. That way they avoid having to do any repairs and they will pay you "fair market value" for a 2 -2 1/2 year old car with mileage. They will cut you a check that you won't be happy about and you can go put a down payment on another new car. The insurance company is NOT your buddy. I just dropped USAA after 30 years of loyalty. I found another insurance plan for almost 2 grand less, for the same coverage. Your car is definitely repairable if it only needs fender/door and quarter. These cars have the thickness of a beer can. As long as the pillar/frame are untouched, its actually an easy fix........for a reputable shop.

Good luck. You will be out a car for a few weeks if they decide to repair it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Also depends on the insurance company. My old company did everything possible to get out of paying out including accusing me of criminal activity. My new one paid out on a claim no question with no increase in premium and then paid out again after their body shop botched the repair..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts