Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My apologies in advance for what will to some of you surely be a silly question.

I have a 2010 R/T Auto that I very rarely drive. Basically not at all in the winter and rarely even in nice weather. Given this fact, most of the mods that I've done and want to do are cosmetic and not performance-oriented (I have no plans to race, take to the track or dyno the car...ever). However, there are a few things I would like to do on the performance side: MDS delete, aftermarket exhaust and either changing the shift firmness or perhaps even the shift points.

My question is: if a person wants to do nothing but delete the MDS and firm up the shifting, is dropping the $400 on a tuner absolutely necessary? I'd hate to spend that kind of money to change two things and never use it again. As I said, the car is rarely driven so it's not like I'm going to be tinkering with it every day. I want the MDS off since I hear it sounds like crap with aftermarket exhausts and since I rarely drive it I couldn't care less about gas mileage. And I'd like the shifting firmed up, well, just because. :browsmiley:

Is this something a garage could take care of? A dealer? Or would it be a warranty-voiding issue?

Sorry if this seems silly but I'd really like to save some cash if I could.

Thanks!

·
Banned
4,131 Posts
would cost a lot more to mechanically get rid of the MDS

Predator will not effect the shifting. TCM controls that and tuning can not modify it. Only running a mopar performance TCM or changing the soleniods in the trans will change shifting

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
would cost a lot more to mechanically get rid of the MDS

Predator will not effect the shifting. TCM controls that and tuning can not modify it. Only running a mopar performance TCM or changing the soleniods in the trans will change shifting
For real? I thought Predator would do every thing Superchips would do and more. I had a Superchips for my old Magnum, and it definitely changed the shift points to a higher RPM and it shifted harder.

·
Registered
772 Posts
You can also use it to check and erase trouble codes, data log, and adjust fan temps ;) But just getting rid of MDS would be worth it to me

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
Pred cannot adjust shift points.. just shift FIRMNESS.. And it does that noticeably. Mine will chirp second and sometimes third when shift firmness is adjusted.

That and MDS is all I do (along with 93 octane tune), but I do take it out every time I go to the stealership.. regardless of the reason.

Mike

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
bought mine for $310 with the computer hookup(you will need that).
worth it , changed shift firmness, shut off MDS,reset tcm adaptation, and 91 cai tune, real happy.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bought mine for $310 with the computer hookup(you will need that).
worth it , changed shift firmness, shut off MDS,reset tcm adaptation, and 91 cai tune, real happy.
That sounds about like what I'd want to do with mine also. I have the Mopar CAI. I've noticed the 91 and 93 CAI tunes but oddly the only higher than 89 octane gas where I am is 93.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
you can use 93 in the 91 tune, just more money for the fuel.

i i have herd that the 93 tune is not that great, and the six speeds don't get much of a bump from either 91 0or 93 but maybe someone with a 6 speed can give their opinion.

one thing to remember is to go back to stock tune before driving into a dealership or warrenty could be in jeopardy.

·
Registered
104 Posts
91 vs 93

on my 6sp car i have more low end power with the 91 vs the 93

using 91 gas with the 91 tune?
or 93 gas with 91 tune?
i think i have seen posts about guys doing that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts