Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
"ARTIE" is a Black 2016 R/T+ with Super Track Pack, 6 speed, Ruby Red Interior
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 weeks ago we had our first major snow storm and when it happens I'm like a kid in candy store, I always take the long way to work and back home so I can enjoy Drifting my '16 R/T. That morning it took me 2 hours to get there using the back roads. (usually takes 25min on highway).
Here are the best parts of it:

Who else takes the long way to work just to enjoy driving our car on the back roads?

·
Registered
194 Posts
I sometimes take 68 instead of the turnpike when I drive between Pittsburgh and DC. Not only do I save $ on tolls, it's a curvier and hillier drive (more fun).

Reactions: Mikamaro

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I sometimes take 68 instead of the turnpike when I drive between Pittsburgh and DC. Not only do I save $ on tolls, it's a curvier and hillier drive (more fun).
and how much more time does it take you for all that fun?

·
Registered
194 Posts
and how much more time does it take you for all that fun?
Depends how many "cop reported ahead" notices I get from Waze. LOL. Usually about 30 minutes more. That can be quickly narrowed if there's a jam at the Squirrel Hill Tunnel, though.

·
Premium Member
2,611 Posts
I know those roads well. I'm originally from Pittsburgh, and I live and work in the Baltimore area now. When you say 68 is hillier, that's an understatement. That is the only road my car will downshift when it's in cruise control to slow me up when I'm going down hill. It's very scenic though. With the tolls on the turnpike getting crazy now, that 30 minutes extra drive will definitely save you $.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,016 Posts
Since I live 30 miles from work I always take the long way home.

Sounded like a bit of RPMs on a cold engine. When I have driven in the snow -- not with new Challenger yet (and probably never) -- I always drive real easy until the engine is fully up to temperature. Then I go hooning around in the snow.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since I live 30 miles from work I always take the long way home.

Sounded like a bit of RPMs on a cold engine. When I have driven in the snow -- not with new Challenger yet (and probably never) -- I always drive real easy until the engine is fully up to temperature. Then I go hooning around in the snow.
Right, I let my car warm up until the oil temp reaches at least 100deg F.
You are hearing the stock sound taken 1 foot away from the exhaust tips.

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
Mike - since you partake of 'spirited excursions' with your 'stick R/T - probably look at changing the differential lube @ 32,000 KM intervals.

With the LSD clutches working as they do, there's going to be friction material shedding from the clutches. The GL-5 (syn) lube needs plenty of friction modifier to keep those clutches quiet.

And yes - I like taking the back ways when its possible; more enjoyable, less traffic and far less debris on the roads.

I'm impressed at the number of snow plows - they get to work on the roads in your area.

Here in Portland, OR (we get snow a couple of times per year) - they do little; maybe a day or so AFTER the snow falls - they'll wait for the snow to go away on its own... [they have trucks with plow attachments, no less]

Then of course, the snow settles / compacts and gets icy - and everything shuts down for two days. And they'll "try" to plow the main roads and leave more than 1" afterward - which turns into hard pack and ice...

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
Like I tell everyone who tries to get in my car with food or drinks, usually the kid or the wife "It's a car not a MFin' Kitchen". And no I drive my Jeep in the snow. But I do take the jeep down the old Rail Road Bed in the winter.

·
Premium Member
9,675 Posts
Everyone thinks their an expert in the snow, you’re not, so far you’ve just been lucky.
Sadly the post will come that your luck ran out. Keep your insurance coverage high and your premiums paid.
My friend owns a large towing service, I’ve heard it all.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mike - since you partake of 'spirited excursions' with your 'stick R/T - probably look at changing the differential lube @ 32,000 KM intervals.

With the LSD clutches working as they do, there's going to be friction material shedding from the clutches. The GL-5 (syn) lube needs plenty of friction modifier to keep those clutches quiet.

And yes - I like taking the back ways when its possible; more enjoyable, less traffic and far less debris on the roads.

I'm impressed at the number of snow plows - they get to work on the roads in your area.

Here in Portland, OR (we get snow a couple of times per year) - they do little; maybe a day or so AFTER the snow falls - they'll wait for the snow to go away on its own... [they have trucks with plow attachments, no less]..
Right, the diff fluid change is a must. Thanks for the reminder. Early spring.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts