Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In the future and will you still have your muscle car from the second muscle car era? I personally don't think so because all these manufacturer's now a days are starting to move toward electric and "environmental friendly" vehicles. (Excluding the remaining muscle cars) That's why I am trying to keep my SRT8 for a long time (20+) years. Lets just assume there is a third muscle car era. Do you think in 20 years people will be arguing whether an electric Challenger is a muscle car? ;)

·
Registered
691 Posts
While I think the gas only V8 muscle car era might be close to the end with all these new CAFE standards I don't beleive the "muscle car" will ever die.

Look at what McLaren has done with the P1 and what Ferrari is doing with their LaFerrari. They are getting close to 900hp using a combination of a gas and electric motors. Once that technology become more cost effective that will trickle down do what we consider "muscle cars"

I don't think high hp cars are in trouble...thats what the public wants. I just think we will be going about it in a different way in the future.

I am all against electric vehicles...but give me a V8 coupled with an electric motor so I can obey the stupid CAFE rules buts lets me rip it open and listen to a loud powerful motor on my command....I can deal with that combination.

·
Premium Member
2,412 Posts
While I think the gas only V8 muscle car era might be close to the end with all these new CAFE standards I don't beleive the "muscle car" will ever die.

Look at what McLaren has done with the P1 and what Ferrari is doing with their LaFerrari. They are getting close to 900hp using a combination of a gas and electric motors. Once that technology become more cost effective that will trickle down do what we consider "muscle cars"

I don't think high hp cars are in trouble...thats what we want. I just think we will be going about it in a different way in the future.

I am all against electric vehicles...but give me a V8 coupled with an electric motor so I can obey the stupid CAFE rules buts lets me rip it open and listen to a loud powerful motor on my command....I can deal with that combination.

.... YEP!! What Notch said!! :eek:rangehat:

Cliff

·
Registered
2019 Challenger 1320
2,428 Posts
The Arab Oil Embargo of the late '70s was supposed to kill not just muscle cars (which it almost did) but also all low mpg vehicles, and even the interstate trucking industry, forcing the U.S. to expand its rail delivery system...

Weeelll......the interstates are still chock full of tractor trailer trucks, the hottest selling vehicles since the late 80s are SUVs and pickup trucks, and while Dodge may have been a late comer to the 2nd generation muscle car era, the Mustangs and Camaros, as well as the Vettes and others, are still going strong.

I don't see legislation forcing the demise of this era's muscle cars, though possibly in 20 or 30 years America's taste in vehicles may do it....but I wouldn't count on it.

Until a car like the Tesla can be mass produced at a MSRP in the low to mid $30s, there will always be gas powered vehicles...and as long as gas engines are still being used, the stubborn American love affair with horsepower and speed will survive....

LONG LIVE THE V-8....ALL HAIL THE HEMI!

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker, 2010 Plum Crazy R/T Classic, 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
2,043 Posts
I think you guys are forgetting something.... There is new technology coming out standard in more and more cars, accident avoidance systems, self parking, multiple cameras, recognition software, linking the car to the grid and to other vehicles, advanced radar on a lot of models as well as advanced navigation. The writing is on the walls for self driving cars, it's coming, many states now have given licenses for companies to drive these cars legally around. Google is one of many companies that are doing this, they have logged millions of trouble free miles on their fleet of self driving autos. I have seen them in Nevada and California, so my belief is that in 20 years half (if not more than that) will be driver free. The whole industry for getting from point A to B will change in huge ways from insurance to less traffic and accident situations. Insurance will be cheaper if at all necessary and folks probably will move away from owning a car to having a "car" service much like a taxi or shuttle where you call up a car in seconds via phone to take you somewhere. Think of going twice the speed or more Nationwide, death and injury by auto will be greatly reduced. It's still a bit away but not as much as you think. We are gradually letting go of our freedoms for safety and control by introducing these new technologies piece by piece and getting us hooked on it and trusting in it. So I think the whole idea about the car will change to include the death of any muscle or sports car. Change is inevitable, so live it up now!!!!

·
Registered
231 Posts
I just test drove my boss Tesla model s85p. And I have to say "WOW". 2 seconds something 0-60, 3 something seconds 0 - 80. Feels like an airplane taking off. If I could afford 125k that would be the car I drove

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
I just test drove my boss Tesla model s85p. And I have to say "WOW". 2 seconds something 0-60, 3 something seconds 0 - 80. Feels like an airplane taking off. If I could afford 125k that would be the car I drove
Does it maintain that performance time after time?

I don't think musclecar era will ever end, the cars will just evolve like others have stated.

·
Registered
153 Posts
My Uncle has a country place, that no one knows about.
He says it used to be a farm, before the motor law.
Now on Sundays I elude the 'eyes', and hop the turbine freight
to far outside the wire where my white-haired uncle waits.
Jump to the ground as the turbo slows across the borderline.
Run like the wind as excitement shivers up and down my spine!
For down in his barn, my Uncle preserved for me an old machine
for fifty odd years.
To keep it as new has been his dearest dream.
I strip away the old debris that hides a shining car
a brilliant red Barchetta from a better vanished time.
Fire up the willing engine responding with a roar!
Tires spitting gravel I commit my weekly crime!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I think you guys are forgetting something.... There is new technology coming out standard in more and more cars, accident avoidance systems, self parking, multiple cameras, recognition software, linking the car to the grid and to other vehicles, advanced radar on a lot of models as well as advanced navigation. The writing is on the walls for self driving cars, it's coming, many states now have given licenses for companies to drive these cars legally around. Google is one of many companies that are doing this, they have logged millions of trouble free miles on their fleet of self driving autos. I have seen them in Nevada and California, so my belief is that in 20 years half (if not more than that) will be driver free. The whole industry for getting from point A to B will change in huge ways from insurance to less traffic and accident situations. Insurance will be cheaper if at all necessary and folks probably will move away from owning a car to having a "car" service much like a taxi or shuttle where you call up a car in seconds via phone to take you somewhere. Think of going twice the speed or more Nationwide, death and injury by auto will be greatly reduced. It's still a bit away but not as much as you think. We are gradually letting go of our freedoms for safety and control by introducing these new technologies piece by piece and getting us hooked on it and trusting in it. So I think the whole idea about the car will change to include the death of any muscle or sports car. Change is inevitable, so live it up now!!!!
I don't disagree at all with your "vision" of the future. Especially, when it comes to "self driving cars". It's true that they are being tested as we speak (and write) - And in fact, insurance rates could go down based on taking the "wheel" out of the hands of people that may be a bit less reliable than others...

My personal concern here, is the ability of "hackers" to create chaos by compromising the "system" or "grid" and literally take control of the car. Not a far fetched thought based on what we see hackers doing to our system at both the government and business level today (Target credit card anyone?).

I don't mean to take this off topic, but I thought your comments were very astute...I guess I'm just one of those people that will likely NEVER want to give up control of my car.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker, 2010 Plum Crazy R/T Classic, 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
2,043 Posts
I don't disagree at all with your "vision" of the future. Especially, when it comes to "self driving cars". It's true that they are being tested as we speak (and write) - And in fact, insurance rates could go down based on taking the "wheel" out of the hands of people that may be a bit less reliable than others...

My personal concern here, is the ability of "hackers" to create chaos by compromising the "system" or "grid" and literally take control of the car. Not a far fetched thought based on what we see hackers doing to our system at both the government and business level today (Target credit card anyone?).

I don't mean to take this off topic, but I thought your comments were very astute...I guess I'm just one of those people that will likely NEVER want to give up control of my car.

Cheers!
I completely agree with you but I am almost without a doubt certain it will happen. This is the Golden Age of the automobile, the romance and independence of piloting one's vehicle -exclusively, is disappearing. Btw, I am a 20 year veteran of the USAF (still active duty), we work in advanced weapons upgrades for 5th generation fighters and I can tell you this stuff is mind blowing and I have no doubt some of it will make it's way into the transportation arena in a few years. Most of the public has no idea what kind of tech exists and how it's advancing at a break-neck speed.

·
Premium Member
10,418 Posts
Just remember all these stupid laws when you vote, you do vote don't you?
They have been saying get off foreign oil since the seventies and still say it now, they also have been fighting the war on drugs even longer. The people better wake up soon, the writing is on the wall.
Many of todays kids have no interest in cars, they are just an appliance to transport them around.
We the car lover, enthusiast, customizer etc. are diminishing over time. I see it in my kids and their friends. They are not alone.

Reactions: Johnman

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
"Do you think there be a third muscle car era......"

I don't see why not. 40 years ago people said it was dead...then by the late 1970's and early 1980's people said it would never come back...it would be impossible.

Now look where we are...we have a new breed that that have not only the swagger of the old cars, but the performance to destroy them on the track.

Who knows was will happen 40 years from now.

The biggest danger to the Muscle Car Scene isn't Government Regulation, it isn't Gas, and it isn't electric cars...it's lack of desire and passion in the youth of today for the hobby. Do us all a favor...see that goofy looking 16 year old kid down the block? Talk to him...get him interested in it. If nothing else...convince him of the Panty-Dropping Power that only a V8 can provide. :ladysman:

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
My Uncle has a country place, that no one knows about.
He says it used to be a farm, before the motor law.
Now on Sundays I elude the 'eyes', and hop the turbine freight
to far outside the wire where my white-haired uncle waits.
Jump to the ground as the turbo slows across the borderline.
Run like the wind as excitement shivers up and down my spine!
For down in his barn, my Uncle preserved for me an old machine
for fifty odd years.
To keep it as new has been his dearest dream.
I strip away the old debris that hides a shining car
a brilliant red Barchetta from a better vanished time.
Fire up the willing engine responding with a roar!
Tires spitting gravel I commit my weekly crime!
My favorite driving song!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I completely agree with you but I am almost without a doubt certain it will happen. This is the Golden Age of the automobile, the romance and independence of piloting one's vehicle -exclusively, is disappearing. Btw, I am a 20 year veteran of the USAF (still active duty), we work in advanced weapons upgrades for 5th generation fighters and I can tell you this stuff is mind blowing and I have no doubt some of it will make it's way into the transportation arena in a few years. Most of the public has no idea what kind of tech exists and how it's advancing at a break-neck speed.
Sadly...I'm sure you are probably right. I'll simply revert to the old NRA slogan and modify it just a bit..."They will have to pry the steering wheel from my cold, dead hands"...

By the way...thank you for your service to our country!

Reactions: PaVaSteeler

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
An electric Challenger with 8 sec 1/4 mile and adjustable exhaust tones through speakers wouldn't be all that bad.......

You could pick your exhaust and the neighborhood could care less cuz it's inside the car.

Lolz......

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yeah, they're baddass! But, $$$$$$$$

·
Registered
398 Posts
Predictions of the future based on current trends and expectations are generally wildly inaccurate. Who would have predicted, back in the 1970s as oil embargoes and smog controls were killing off the muscle cars that one day you'd be able to buy a car that put out 707 hp, and not for hundreds of thousands of dollars, but for only $60K? Or 350-450hp for about $30K?

People made fun of Priuses 10 years ago - they were small, they were gutless, etc - but there are a ton of them out there. And they have no trouble keeping up with traffic, either. And the advent of mind-bogglingly fast hybrid supercars indicates there are alternatives to increasing displacement. When Tesla introduced their roadster, people said it was a curiosity, a toy for the wealthy. Then they introduced the Model S, sold it for $60-70K, and they've sold 50,000 of them. In a couple years, they're planning to release the Model 3, in the $35K range.

At some point, burning gasoline at the rate that our cars do will probably be seen as a needless extravagance. For a long time, burning it at the rate that was common in the first muscle car era has been seen that way. So, absent some radical advance in biofuels or such, making the equivalent of gasoline really cheap, I can't see another revival of big V8s, once THIS era of big V8s passes.

BUT, the one thing about the future you can probably be sure of is that it won't be what you expected.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Tesla S85p runs 0-60mph in 4.0

I am a big fan of the Tesla S. However, the 0-60 times for the base S is 5.0 while the S85p is 4.0. 1/4 mile times are 13.2 for the base S and 12.4 for the S85p. Those are great times and deserve a lot of applause, but they are not remotely close to a sub 3 second 0-60 time. That would be the new Ferrari hybrid and the Porsche 918 hybrid, but those cars sticker around $1,400,000 and $850,000 respectively.

To put it in perspective, the top of the line Tesla S85p has 416 horsepower and 443 ft-lb of torque. The performance is almost identical to the 4.1 0-60 and 12.4 1/4 mile numbers Dodge has achieved with the new A8 392. So a 2015 Challenger for around $40K is every bit as much an "airplane" as a S85p. But still an impressive feat for the heavy, all electric Tesla to match an A8 392 Challenger.

Here is a link to Motor Trend's testing, which resulted in the Tesla getting their Car of the Year award:

2013 Motor Trend Car of the Year: Tesla Model S - Motor Trend Page 2

·
Premium Member
10,418 Posts
The masses of auto enthusiasts will not take to electric cars like they do to piston power.
Its taken decades to cultivate what we have now.
Look at soccer, we have football and no matter how hard they push soccer it's not something we really take a keen liking to.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts