Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a deposit on a GWE RT today. The finance guy there owns a 2007 Daytona Charger in Sublime. He heard they may be doing sublime on the Challengers next year, and he'll buy a matching one for the Charger. I know rumours are just rumours, but...

What do you think?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Unfortunately I doubt it...it seems that dodge is doing a modern twist on all the high impact colors. (ex. Instead of panther pink it's furious fuschia, instead of sublime lime it's green with envy etc..) there some exceptions like hemi orange and maybe the detonator yellow. But I don't think dodge will make a serious run at a true sublime.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Not gonna happen.

1.) Dealers are the dumbest people when it comes to information about what Chrysler is doing and what products may or may not be coming out. (just ask my local dealer who swore a 300hp supercharged all-wheel drive SRT-4 was coming out)

2.) Ralph Gilles said that Challenger fans had been begging for sublime for some time and this is what they gave them in response, he called it a "modern take" on the colour (essentially sublime but with metal flake mixed in)

·
Premium Member
3,548 Posts
... it seems that dodge is doing a modern twist on all the high impact colors. (ex. Instead of panther pink it's furious fuschia, instead of sublime lime it's green with envy etc..)
President and CEO of Dodge, Ralph Gilles, said exactly that.

With regard to Sublime on the Challenger, I have heard Ralph tell two stories. The first version was that Dodge was trying to give Sublime a more modern touch by giving it a twist between Sublime and Snake Skin Green; and the second version was that the public voted and picked GWE over Sublime, so they went with GWE. I didn't see that that vote taking place and have never heard of it, but that's what Ralph said.

·
Registered
978 Posts
The vote was at the woodward dream cruise 2010, fyi
I dont understand everyone's fascination with sublime to be honest, I've seen it on the Charger and I've seen the GWE in person and GWE COMPLETELY OWNS sublime in every way.

It's hands down the nicer colour... The flat and pale sublime is boring by comparison.

...true story.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
I dont understand everyone's fascination with sublime to be honest, I've seen it on the Charger and I've seen the GWE in person and GWE COMPLETELY OWNS sublime in every way.

It's hands down the nicer colour... The flat and pale sublime is boring by comparison.

...true story.
I would have to disagree. Sublime to me is the best color for the Charger and Challenger. The oranges are second best. GWE is nice but not Sublime.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
from the photo's ive seen GWE only looks like sublime in the bright sun....in the shade it looks like a blah green....

if they are smart they will do the same sublime as the Charger had a few years ago....those stand out sun or shade

i havent seen GWE in person...maybe its better than i think....

i personally would like to see a TRUE sublime.....i think Dodge will do it....

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
Unfortunately I doubt it...it seems that dodge is doing a modern twist on all the high impact colors. (ex. Instead of panther pink it's furious fuschia, instead of sublime lime it's green with envy etc..) there some exceptions like hemi orange and maybe the detonator yellow. But I don't think dodge will make a serious run at a true sublime.

I agree.. I don't see them doing two different Green's, even if it is different years.. Just don't believe there's as big of a market out there for that as we'd like to think.

Mike

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
I agree.. I don't see them doing two different Green's, even if it is different years.. Just don't believe there's as big of a market out there for that as we'd like to think.

Mike
They have done it before, back in 1970, their were two Green High Impact colors. so it is possible that they might do another green down the road.

A little off topic, but here are some names of colors that weren't approved by Chrysler back in the day. Can't say this true, got it off another website.
•Catch Me Copper
•Unforeseeable Fuicha
•Statutory Grape
•Gang Green
•Well Red
•Cost Of Living Rose
•Fisher Body Rust
•Hi-Ho Silver
•Frank Lloyd White

·
Registered
6,352 Posts

Vs.

My vote... GWE.

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
They have done it before, back in 1970, their were two Green High Impact colors. so it is possible that they might do another green down the road.

A little off topic, but here are some names of colors that weren't approved by Chrysler back in the day. Can't say this true, got it off another website.
•Catch Me Copper
•Unforeseeable Fuicha
•Statutory Grape
•Gang Green
•Well Red
•Cost Of Living Rose
•Fisher Body Rust
•Hi-Ho Silver
•Frank Lloyd White

True - and of course it is possible.. I just don't think in today's market they'll do it.

Some interesting names here... Wonder what today's value of "Cost of Living Rose" would be!!!

Mike

·
Registered
144 Posts
from the photo's ive seen GWE only looks like sublime in the bright sun....in the shade it looks like a blah green....

if they are smart they will do the same sublime as the Charger had a few years ago....those stand out sun or shade

i havent seen GWE in person...maybe its better than i think....

i personally would like to see a TRUE sublime.....i think Dodge will do it....
I saw one yesterday ,with shade and with sun shining on it.In the shade it looked amazing ,not blah(IMHO), in the sun,well, you best be wearing your sun glasses, I loved it!!Check out pics in "The wait for the first GWE...." thread!!

·
Super Moderator
17,317 Posts
I doubt Sublime would be done - IMO, its a garish color and despite the Mopar faithful, that color would be a tough sell to the general public. It was novel in the late 60s - early 70s, but it didn't sell in large quantities then.

I've seen the '07 Charger Daytonas in this color and over the years, I've only seen 3 of them over the years (two new 07's sat on a dealer's lot for months as) - still don't care for the color.

On the older cars, it fits with the period and I recall seeing a '70 'Cuga with white interior / white vinyl top and the Sublime (Limelight in Plymouth line) color fit well with the style and interior combo.

There's a taxi company here in town that has their cars (and vans) painted in a shade that is very close (if not the same) as Sublime...they just look strange.

I like the GWE color since it has gold color flake and has more "dimension" that a solid color like Sublime. GWE shifts color in light and angle and in bright sun it has that "pop" of the bright green pigments along with the pearl.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I am so torn on this one...

Green is my favourite colour. Has been since I was a child. Lime green is my ultimate favourite shade of green. Love it, period. Of the 47 Mopars I've owned, I've had 5 lime cars (3 1970 J5 cars, 2 1971 J6 green cars). I saw the 2007 Charger after the Challenger came out in 2008. I ASSUMED lime would be offered. Still waiting...

Now the GWE comes out. I have NOT seen the colour in person, but I KNOW its not lime, just isn't, but...I willing to give it a chance. I LOVE the Synergy green on the Camaros. I love the lime metallic on the the 2012 Ford Focus, very nice. Even Mazda(?) And Hyundai Genesis have some nice metallic greens. I am pretty confident the GWE will be very nice, but to me (and my wife) there is absolutely no better Musclecar combo than lime on black with black stripes (sorry Hemi orange guys!).

I was even thinking about buying a black Challenger and just painting it sublime. Just 'pull a Chevy' and leave the engine compartment black, trunk is carpeted and just paint the door jambs. Would look awesome. May still do this in the future, when the 2011+ cars get cheaper (really prefer the new interior changes).

I have a deposit on a GWE RT right now. It will be awesome I'm sure. Its not 100% what I want, but about 90% (I'm ordering a Classic, because I have to, but will be putting the hood-to-fender stripes on, much prefer those).

It absolutely boggles me why Chrysler would do a limited run of lime cars in 2007, an not bring it back...even when guys are asking for it! Now, I do understand the flip side of the lime dilemma. Its not a popular colour with everybody. I know many Mopar guys who HATE the colour. Doesn't bother me. Each to his own, I'm OK with that. When I drove my lime Mopars, I literally would have people pull up beside me at lights, laugh out loud and yell at me about my 'puke green' car!! I'd see people laughing on he sidewalks. Couldn't care less. I do agree with some of the previous comments, sublime would be a tough sell. Look at the pink and yellow Challengers. Even lots of B5 cars still on lots around here. Maybe very smart on Chrysler's part to change up the green?!?

I'm just glad they make as many colour choices as they have on the Challenger so far!

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
Dealers are the dumbest people when it comes to information about what Chrysler is doing and what products may or may not be coming out.
Surely I am not the dumbest person out there? :pimp:

I definitely understand how dealers get the reputation, though. It usually comes from trying to one up a customer, or instead of just saying "I don't know", they make up something to try and save face.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I've never understood the lust for sublime either. Outside of pure nostalgia, I think most people would prefer green with envy. Of the classic greens they made, I think Green Go is far superior to sublime. Much richer and not as neon looking. Sublime always seems like a ricey looking color to me.

That said, If sublime was the only shade of green out there I would get it. I don't hate it, but GWE and GG are superior imo.

Green Go:

·
Premium Member
3,548 Posts
Someone on this forum had his Challenger painted Sublime Green and although not a fan of the color, it look really good. Not really a fan of either color, but if I had to pick one, Sublime would be my choice. I've seen GWE in person, not really that bold of a color. It really needs some sunshine to make it pop.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Kelly Blue Book give you an automatic deduction for the green paint regardless of the make or model? I know they used to because green has always been the hardest color car to sell.

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
personally i am glad they didnt do Sublime...it would be so difficult for me not to trade my 2010 B5 for one. the GWE is sharp but not for me.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Sublime is definitely a retro, "period" color. So it's almost a given that you have to be thinking retro to love it. I love it. The Daytona Chargers in black and sublime are excellent. I'll say this - any of the greens look better with lots of black. That GG car above is excellent; so is the sublime further above. Lots of black. GWE is pretty decent, but it's for a different audience than sublime.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts