Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I live in CT and I am considering getting a Challenger. Ideally I would keep my current car solely for use during the winter but if that isnt possible I am curious as to how you folks find the challenger's performance in the winter. I would be getting the R/T for the 6 Sp Manual.
Thanks for the help.

·
Super Moderator
14,730 Posts
I drive my SRT in the winter only when the roads are clear of ice, snow, and salt.

If you plan to drive your car under bad weather winter conditions in CT, I would buy a set of Bridgestone Blizzak snow tires. You should then be good to go.

Under no circumstances, however, should you drive your car with F1 summer tires, They are like four frozen hockey pucks when the temperature is below 40 degrees.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I certainly do. As with all cars, a great set of snow tires make all the difference in the world.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Aw c,mon now Sean,you only pulled it out of that pretty cozy garage for that photo.:) We can all see that that baby aint been seein no salt and slush.:)

·
Registered
813 Posts
Damn. You found me out! ;)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Haven't had my car long enough for a winter to come yet, but I will be driving it everyday. It is my daily driver and I have no other vehicle.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for the advice on the Blizzaks. I will be driving mine next winter. Will probably look for a set of "winter wheels" too so I don't have to dismount/remount tires twice a year.

Dennis

·
Registered
813 Posts
Also look into some type of front end paint protection. I wish I had.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Also look into some type of front end paint protection. I wish I had.
Very good point that i didn't think about before driving my car all winter , cant believe the amount of dings/chips on the lower front end .
drove mine with stock tires , no problems , actually handled very well

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have driven mine thru two Michigan winters now. I put the crome clads back on which have the Goodyear all seasons mounted on them and reload teh stock tune and leave my electronci shift kit disabled. Handled amazingly well and I drove it 75 miles 5 days a week all winter. With the ESP, ABS, and traction control I have had front wheel drive cars that didn't do as well. I have an auto so I use autostick to start out from intersections in 2nd gear if it's icy.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow. As late as i am in responding to all of you I am glad that there is at least a moderate contingent of folks who drive in the snow.

Another thing to note though this probably wont affect your answers much, I dont have a garage/car port.

I would love to be able to use this car (if I end up getting it) through the winters.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I wont dont have to drive mine during winter time I have another car for for that.

·
Registered
2017 challenger hellcat A8
2,020 Posts
Drove a R/T my first winter and a SRT all the second winter (well most of it unless deep snow). The key is good snow tires and then you will have no more problems then any other two wheel drive car (it is all in the computers, turn of ESP and then you really can do a 440 degree donout going only 2 miles an hour when on the ice-that was with the F1's).

·
Registered
27 Posts
After driving mine during last winter, I would like to echo the sentiments to get some front end protection. Getting stuck behind a salt/sand spreader without it, I felt like I was in a bad horror flick D:

·
Registered
75 Posts
I drove mine last winter in Massachusetts on the stock RSAs and it was fine (although they were new since I bought it in late November). This year I am leaning strongly towards getting a set of police steel wheels and some snow tires.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm lucky enough that I won't be driving my SRT with snow on the roads here in CT, but my wife and I do drive performance based vehicles during the winter. My daily driver is a Dakota R/T, her past cars have been a Mustang GT and an Infinity G35 Coupe. All run Blizzak Snow Tires with some cement patio blocks in the trunk. With Blizzaks on my truck I have no problems even with last years record snow. Moral of the story, get yourself a set of good snow tires and enjoy your Challenger all year long.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
No problem here in Texas........except last February during the Superbowl week. Challenger never left the garage that week.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Bridgestone Blizzaks

I live in S.Jersey also and am awaiting delivery of a 2012 SRT8, which should be in by Halloween. Not too long after that I'm apparently going to have to buy snow tires. Regarding the Blizzaks, where is there a good place to get them where i can get a good deal and how much should i roughly expect to pay per tire? Do you recommend mounting them on a cheap wheel or just swapping them back and forth with the car's custom wheels? Thanks for any info you can provide.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts