Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was there an "unique sound" of a 3.7L Slant 6 engine? That's what I remembered. Is there a clean video clip out there? I tried to search for it, and didn't find any luck as many youtubers would add music to their video, or aftermarket exhaust, or it's a 50 year old car in need of repairs.

If there isn't a clean audio clip OEM, could some of you confirm what I'm talking about? Or is my memory wrong?

Reference car. My uncle had a 1968 Barracuda. I remembered the sound of that car riding in the back as a kid with my cousins. I don't think it was a V8, because it had that "unique" sound. Car was all stock.

It looked exactly like this, except F8 green.

Attachments

·
Registered
415 Posts
They had a rhythmic deep sewing machine sound to me. One of the best engines of all time. Too heavy for today's car's/truck's.

·
Registered
120 Posts
My first car was a 1964 dodge dart GT...factory 4sp with hurst shifter and a 225 slanty....could not hurt that motor and believe me I tried...It would lay a good 3 ft of rubber grabbing 2nd with a healthy squawk(not posi)....I would change the oil and add a full can of stp and it was good for many more over revved miles ...never smoked....any way between the reverb I hooked to the radio(when I hit a bump it would turn into an echo chamber) and the cherry bomb muffler I put on yes it had a "unique" sound:grin2: Man those were good days....

·
Super Moderator
15,435 Posts
inline 6's have a resonance to them that's different from the even firing pulses of V8s.

And the Slant 6 valvetrain had that 'sewing machine' sound about it.'

I remember a lot of Darts and Valiants [60s / 70s] having Slant 6s and the occasional Duster here and there - everyone wanted the V8, even if it was 'just' a 318 - 2bbl.

There were a lot of 318s running around in many models. It was the upgrade away from the Slant 6.

·
Registered
760 Posts
My girlfriend, her dad and I, just got a 76' Dart Sport with a 225 slant 6 that we will be restoring for her as a show car. Even with the severely muffled exhaust, the slant 6 sounds much better than most of the modern 6 cylinders.

Even has a posi in it...don't ask me how I know.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies and hint. When I add 225 to my search (instead of "3.7") I get a lot more videos. Yes, that's the sound I recall.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts