Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m back with the same codes P1D93 P1D99 on my Transmission with only 34000 miles that keeps getting stuck in 5th gear for the last few days Ok so I have two options ones is to get my transmission rebuilt the other is buy a new transmission?? I type undecided on which on is best for me and my wallet HELP‼

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
671 Posts
If you can find a independent shop that can rebuild your eight speed, a shop that you trust, that might be an option. A second possibility is a Mopar Remanufactured transmission. I put one in my Challenger when my original eight speed developed downshift issues. It has worked well for me, and cost less than a new transmission. It has a good warranty also, so that is another consideration.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,439 Posts
What about purchasing a used one from a wrecking yard? Surely that is cheaper than paying to have one rebuilt.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,439 Posts
Buy one from a wrecking yard you have no clue how good it is and when it too may go.... JMHO
Right, but they will have a warranty on defective units that can be utilized to replace units that are already bad.

As for longevity, it’s a ZF, I would say they are a more reliable transmission in general than most others that are available in new cars nowadays.

Ultimately it boils down to affordability most likely. A new or rebuilt one will likely last longer, but the cost is significantly higher. A low-mile used one should last the rest of the car’s life, but no one can say for sure exactly how long it will last, hence the lower cost.

If it were me, I’d find a wrecking yard that would allow me to choose a trans and pull the pan to inspect the fluid before purchase. If I liked what I saw, I’d buy it and then install it with fresh fluid and a new filter/pan. I would also be sure to drain out any fluid in the car’s trans cooler lines to make sure it was starting as fresh as possible.

I think Joe Dirte said it best when he said, “Life’s a garden - Dig it!”

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,209 Posts
I’m back with the same codes P1D93 P1D99 on my Transmission with only 34000 miles that keeps getting stuck in 5th gear for the last few days Ok so I have two options ones is to get my transmission rebuilt the other is buy a new transmission?? I type undecided on which on is best for me and my wallet HELP‼
As Nuke mentioned the transmission is a ZF. This brand is used in a number of cars including Porsche. While all my Porsche cars were equipped with a manual I talked to the techs about the automatic (the torque converter model in this case not the PDK). They said given the number of cars with ZF transmissions just about every reasonably sized metro area has shop that specializes in rebuilding ZF transmissions.

(This was in Livermore, CA, population 90K. Located 10 miles from Pleasanton CA, population 82K. And 10 miles from Dublin CA, population 63K.)

The techs told me that they do not do ZF rebuilds simply because customers balk at the price. So they just point the customer to the indy shop that specializes in rebuilding these transmissions.

Check with the local Dodge dealer for a indy shop that can rebuild the transmission. But also check with other dealers too. GM, Dodge, Ford, BMW, Porsche, Aston Martin, etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts