Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Dodge Challenger: A family car?

16K views 38 replies 23 participants last post by  X's Revenge 
#1 ·
#4 ·
My step-brother, always following in my tracks, bought a Challenger 4 days after me. It's his primary vehicle & the kids (12 year old daughter & 6 month old son) ride in it almost daily. He likes that the rear seatbelts are attached to the frame.

As for me, I don't think I have kids. :bigthumb:

#23 ·
I grew up in an 85 Charger 2.2. Worked good for my parents. had it as a daily driver for 20 years. They always had 2 door cars until mum got a VW jetta. 2 door cars can be family cars just fine, just a little more complicated to get in and out.

#7 ·
I've been telling my wife that it's a family car since I bought it!

#8 ·
I drove a dodge stealth turbo when my kids were using car seats, they fit fine in that car, and the challenger has gobs more room in the backseat and trunk than the old stealth used to have. The challenger is by far a more family friendly car to haul 2 teen age kids and the wife across the state to visit the grandparents, the wife would put up a fight if i wanted to drive the cobra on a trip home, but in the challenger i get no complaints, the seats are more comfortable than the ones in her car, and the kids can watch a dvd while i'm driving across the state.

#9 ·
My 14 month old son has ridden in my SE just about every day for his entire life. We've even slept in it (after a night of him not sleeping and the only thing that did it was a nice ride in the Challenger).

#10 ·
The Challenger is as good a family car as my Dad's 75 Olds Cutlass. Nice cruiser with plenty of room. That Cutlass got 18 mpg and a 12 sec 0-60. The R/T and the SRT get better acceleration and mileage to boot.

Challenger for a family car - why not?

#11 ·
Definitely a family car. Largest rear legroom, largest trunk of the 3 muscle cars. Not that it would make a difference to me if it didn't. Not old enough for kids yet, but I'm keeping this car for as long as I live so I can guarantee if I do have kids this will be a family car at some point.

#12 ·
I am very hesitant to have anyone in the rear seats. If the thing ever got right side t boned whoever is in the rear is going to have a hard time getting out especially if they are injured. We used my R/T at the station to do a walk thru if we have to extricate from one and if it is hit right side with passengers in the rear the roof is coming off.

Is it correct that the 2011's have drivers side entry for the rear?

#15 ·
We traded in our family car (1997 dodge conversion van) for the Challenger, it is considered the family car BUT, when the two youngsters (11 & 12) are with my wife and I we take the truck (2005 quad cab ram). There is absolutely no leg room for the rear passengers. I can not bring myself to say 4" of knee room "roomy" no matter how much I like the car. To give the kids space enough to fit unlike a sardine the front passengers get cramped.

I couldn't imagine putting little ones in the back or into a car seat, I can't fit to vacuum it out let alone buckle an infant or toddler.

Please don't say well the Mustang, well the Camaro.........don't care! The Challenger is an enjoyable driving car, BUT IT IS NO FAMILY CAR. :SM127:

#16 ·
It's not a practical car for toddlers or child seats, it can be accomplished, but not easily. I would not consider the Challenger a family car in the same breath as say a mid-size or large SUV or wagon, but it is not entirely impractical either if the need arises. Suffice it to say, this is no substitute for a large vehicle if the backseaters can't get in on their own, or the driver/front passenger is a tall individual. Luckily, I'm 5'8", so the rear room is okay...

#17 ·
main reason i chose the Challenger over a Camaro/Shelby Mustang is the back seat....

i have 3 kids.....had 1 car seat and 2 boosters for the test drive...it worked out just fine..its crampt for them, but it works..

i dont understand why they cant squeeze a 3rd seat out of the back of the Camaro.there's room to do it...

also looked into a 2008 GTO...nope only 2 passengers in the back....

The Challenger was my only choice....and im happy with it...
\
my biggest worry is the white seats and kids ages 6,5,2

#19 ·
We used to haul toddlers in car seats in the back of an IROQ Z28...seriously had to get the windows tinted so we didn't 'cook a kid'.

The Challenger is far superior to the older F bodys as far as family cars go.

As a toddler in the 1960's..I remember being stuffed in the back of 2 door coupes all the time..but them was the good old days..no car seats...no airbags...maybe a lap-belt if you got anything.

Our youngest kid is 15..he can strap his own butt in.:indifferent:

#27 ·
i bought my challenger to use as a family car. it works just fine. 3 kids and the wife fit just fine. I looked at chargers but since they quit making the daytona package, there just wasn't anything that appealed to me.

#32 ·
I ask anyone who thinks its o.k. to sit on the back seat to do so, then have the front seat pushed all the way back. Ask yourself, is this comfortable? Can I move my legs? My knees? Can I tolerate a drive to Grandmoms house and If I can, can I last an hour back here? With two other people?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.