Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the Challenger is becoming the top performing muscle car in USA. According to the numbers that were released today Dodge Challenger Beats Ford Mustang, Chevrolet Camaro in February Sales.

"In February 2018, Dodge sold 6,093 examples of the Challenger. That is 14 less units than they sold in the same month last year, but it is 2,600+ units better than January 2018. Ford sold 5,800 Mustangs and Chevrolet sold 3,680 Camaros – both of which are up compared to January, but with the Challenger growing from month to month by the largest margin, the Dodge muscle led the segment in February 2018 sales."

Do you see more Challengers on the streets of where you live? I do.

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
I think Ford really screwed the pooch on their redesign. Still looks about the same and demand has gone down when it usually goes up after offering something new. Same thing with last Camaro redo.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
So why isn't the Camaro selling? GM's Alpha platform is supposedly amazing. The performance is there, across all trims. My guess is 2 things: Styling and visibility. Looks may be a matter of opinion, but the Camaro just isn't a gorgeous car. Then you have the low roof and lack of headroom, I imagine that's not helping either.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
So why isn't the Camaro selling? GM's Alpha platform is supposedly amazing. The performance is there, across all trims. My guess is 2 things: Styling and visibility. Looks may be a matter of opinion, but the Camaro just isn't a gorgeous car. Then you have the low roof and lack of headroom, I imagine that's not helping either.
Practicality.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
There is weeping and gnashing of teeth in Camaro and Mustang land......The pig wins again lol. Long live the king. :)

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
There is weeping and gnashing of teeth in Camaro and Mustang land......The pig wins again lol. Long live the king. :)
What's ironic is, we've got the boat.

But they've got the anchors.

:SM127:

Thank you, thank you, I'll be here next week.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes and 2017 Challenger sales climbed from 2016 while Mustang and Camaro declined.

I bought my 2016 in 2017 so I helped...I think :scratchhead:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I considered a 2017 Camaro ZL1 before buying a Hellcat. If you're a car nut then you know the Alpha platform it rides on is the real deal, its an excellent platform, and GM has the best adaptive suspension in the industry as well. Despite that the Camaro has a few things I just couldn't overlook. 1) the back seats really are useless and I drive my car with my wife and two young teenagers every weekend. None of us are that tall and even with the driver and passenger giving as much room to the back as we could, there still isn't room for someone 5' 4" back there. 2) I couldn't get past the dismal view over the gauge cluster. Seriously, its bad enough they you could consider not buying the car and finally while the ZL1 might look 'cool' it doesn't look 'good'. Put it this way. The Challenger has been around since 2008 and the body has only mildly been updated yet it still looks great today and you can image it will still be consider a good looking muscle car 10 years from now. The Camaro has a look that will go the way of the Pontiac Aztek I think. Forgotten for good reason. It's just not a classic look that will stand the test of time, and for those reasons Dodge got my money. Now if Chevy brought back a modern interpretation of a 1969 Camaro, I'd be one of the first in the Chevy showroom.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I own a 2011 Mustang convertible as well as my T/A. No Challenger convertible so I kept the Stang. Now my 2011 looks like a modern version of the classic 69 Mustang like my TA does to a 71 Challenger. The new Mustang and Camaro look to much like Japanese cars. Not that they make bad cars but throw a Honda badge on the 2015+ Mustang and a Lexus badge on the Camaro and it would be more realistic than the classic muscle cars. These are expensive toys for a lot of people and they want a Challenger Mustang or Camaro to look like a muscle car. Only the Challenger pulls it off. The Mustang and Camaro look OK but my TA makes me drool.

·
Registered
957 Posts
One year ago I was positive that I would be ordering a new Camaro. I love the look, had talked to the dealer and built the car online.

Then my wife and I drove one. We both absolutely hated it. Cramped, uncomfortable, and claustrophobic.

That's how I ended up with a Scat Pack.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Yes and 2017 Challenger sales climbed from 2016 while Mustang and Camaro declined.

I bought my 2016 in 2017 so I helped...I think :scratchhead:
Then......we helped!

And to answer the original question. I believe near Chicago here I see more Camaroooos. I know I saw one up a tree the last time it snowed.....literally up a tree. I notice the Challengers more.... but I still think there are more rooos.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
One year ago I was positive that I would be ordering a new Camaro. I love the look, had talked to the dealer and built the car online.

Then my wife and I drove one. We both absolutely hated it. Cramped, uncomfortable, and claustrophobic.

I like that story....

·
Registered
394 Posts

Exactly the same story here. Told my wife I wanted a camaro or mustang with a v8 to drive us around in our "old" age. Test drove the mustang and she complained the entire time about no room (she is claustrophobic) so the whole time "I cant ride in this car im freaking out" Then the camaro she said was better but she could not get over being cramped even with the window down and hanging out the window. Not mentioned here but any new v8 camaro(great car) but not a good value. I think they don't sell many simply because they are too expensive for the muscle car class. GM wants them to compete with the bimmers and low end mercs and they are priced that way here. 45-60k+ for that price you can get a bigger more comfortable car with about the same hp and only slightly less handling for 30-50K if you go challenger or 35-55k if you go mustang.
I just recently tested a 18 mustang gt and even though it sounded fantastic and was way fun to drive, it was not nearly as smooth or stable as my 16. My wife still remembers the test drive of the 16 mustang and wont even sit in an 18 yet.

But speaking of seeing more of them I have seen another PCP challenger in Eugene 3 times in the last 3 days. There are definitely more of them on the road today then previously. I still find them fantastic looking cars myself and that includes the 08-14 years.

Ron

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Exactly the same story here. Told my wife I wanted a camaro or mustang with a v8 to drive us around in our "old" age. Test drove the mustang and she complained the entire time about no room (she is claustrophobic) so the whole time "I cant ride in this car im freaking out" Then the camaro she said was better but she could not get over being cramped even with the window down and hanging out the window. Not mentioned here but any new v8 camaro(great car) but not a good value. I think they don't sell many simply because they are too expensive for the muscle car class. GM wants them to compete with the bimmers and low end mercs and they are priced that way here. 45-60k+ for that price you can get a bigger more comfortable car with about the same hp and only slightly less handling for 30-50K if you go challenger or 35-55k if you go mustang.
I just recently tested a 18 mustang gt and even though it sounded fantastic and was way fun to drive, it was not nearly as smooth or stable as my 16. My wife still remembers the test drive of the 16 mustang and wont even sit in an 18 yet.

But speaking of seeing more of them I have seen another PCP challenger in Eugene 3 times in the last 3 days. There are definitely more of them on the road today then previously. I still find them fantastic looking cars myself and that includes the 08-14 years.

Ron
70-74 and all the modern years IMHO. Anyone who doesn't like their 73 or 74's can send them this way... LOL!

·
Premium Member
2011, Mean Green Machine
2,049 Posts
I think the Challenger is becoming the top performing muscle car in USA. According to the numbers that were released today Dodge Challenger Beats Ford Mustang, Chevrolet Camaro in February Sales.

"In February 2018, Dodge sold 6,093 examples of the Challenger. That is 14 less units than they sold in the same month last year, but it is 2,600+ units better than January 2018. Ford sold 5,800 Mustangs and Chevrolet sold 3,680 Camaros – both of which are up compared to January, but with the Challenger growing from month to month by the largest margin, the Dodge muscle led the segment in February 2018 sales."

Do you see more Challengers on the streets of where you live? I do.

I've been a fanboy of the Challenger from the beginning. When I was looking for my first one they were really rare. If you saw one or 2 a day it was a good day. Its a totally different deal today. I see several in any number of colors daily. I still get a bunch of goobers calling my car a Camaro but its usually the millennial type who don't know sh!t about cars.

Ford did themselves a huge disservice when they redesigned the Mustang in 2015. Reminds me of a VW bug when I see one coming directly at me. The front end is butt ugly even from the profile.

I don't mind the exterior looks Camaro but like a lot of you all I agree,...... the interior is a disaster.

Now I've got an exceptionally gorgeous looking ride and I only say that because LITERALLY every time I leave my house I get someone who honks and gives me a thumbs up or someone pulls up and just says,....." now that is badazz". But I know this also... WE ALL have badazz looking rides,...... Dodge hit a home run with the retro redesign of the Challenger....... :5:

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
I've been a fanboy of the Challenger from the beginning. When I was looking for my first one they were really rare. If you saw one or 2 a day it was a good day. Its a totally different deal today. I see several in any number of colors daily. I still get a bunch of goobers calling my car a Camaro but its usually the millennial type who don't know sh!t about cars.

Ford did themselves a huge disservice when they redesigned the Mustang in 2015. Reminds me of a VW bug when I see one coming directly at me. The front end is butt ugly even from the profile.

I don't mind the exterior looks Camaro but like a lot of you all I agree,...... the interior is a disaster.

Now I've got an exceptionally gorgeous looking ride and I only say that because LITERALLY every time I leave my house I get someone who honks and gives me a thumbs up or someone pulls up and just says,....." now that is badazz". But I know this also... WE ALL have badazz looking rides,...... Dodge hit a home run with the retro redesign of the Challenger....... :5:

Well said my man, well said. An 08 looks very similar to an 18. Identical to the untrained eye.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,564 Posts
My neighbor across the way has a new mustang and I must say that his exhaust note is killer. I am not a fan of the styling of the camaro or mustang but both cars are no joke and they have my respect. The other issue I have with them is the space, no way can you take more than 1 person to lunch. I had 3 coworkers in my challenger on Wednesday and they ranged from 5'10" to 6'3", it was snug but we had a blast.

The trunk space is more than practical...I think I said this before but I actually fit a toilet from Homedepot in the trunk with no problem except that the trunk lid did not close all the way and had to be propped a little. And like SilverScat, anytime I go to a drive-thru or I am about to get in the car at the mall/store, someone will always comment on the looks or say something like "Is it as fun to drive as it looks?"

1 - 20 of 94 Posts