Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Is there still shortage of computer chips? Cz, I just got a text from the dealer. He said, "No change in status."

I did hear that production is being delayed by a world wide shortage of computer chips required for production. They do not show a change in delivery date (early March), so it may still come then.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yes there is still a chip shortage.

Ford, GM and Stellantis are continually adjusting the return to work dates for their employees at assembly plants based on chip availability. We are notified of this based on our production schedules.

Stellantis
Chips are reserved for WK2 Grand Cherokees, DT/DS Ram Trucks and JL/JT Wranglers/Gladiators.

Those 4 vehicles account for more than 85% of the profit of the company and they will keep the other plants closed or on severely reduced capacity until these plants can build to their normal production numbers.

Based on current information available to us in the auto industry, it looks like the chip shortage won't be fully sorted until June/July.

I would be highly suspect of the statement that your dealer is making that you will receive a Challenger in March based on the current situation.

·
Premium Member
10,366 Posts
Yes there is still a chip shortage.

Ford, GM and Stellantis are continually adjusting the return to work dates for their employees at assembly plants based on chip availability. We are notified of this based on our production schedules.

Stellantis
Chips are reserved for WK2 Grand Cherokees, DT/DS Ram Trucks and JL/JT Wranglers/Gladiators.

Those 4 vehicles account for more than 85% of the profit of the company and they will keep the other plants closed or on severely reduced capacity until these plants can build to their normal production numbers.

Based on current information available to us in the auto industry, it looks like the chip shortage won't be fully sorted until June/July.

I would be highly suspect of the statement that your dealer is making that you will receive a Challenger in March based on the current situation.
I just bought my daughter an 80th anniversary Grand Cherokee Limited and asked the sales manager about this issue and he said it’s starting to ease up with the shortages. That’s one pricey SUV, hope it serves her well.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I just bought my daughter an 80th anniversary Grand Cherokee Limited and asked the sales manager about this issue and he said it’s starting to ease up with the shortages. That’s one pricey SUV, hope it serves her well.
I've had two Grand Cherokees, a 2016 Limited and a 2018 Trailhawk. Both were good vehicles. I loved the Trailhawk with the 5.7L V8.

Your sales manager is right and wrong. While there are more chips being built, they are being used to get the other shifts of production back up and running on high profit vehicles.

Ford is adding back F150 capacity plant, Super Duty, Expedition and Navigator production while still haulting Mustang, Ranger and Bronco production.

Stellantis is increasing output of Grand Cherokees, Rams and Wrangler/Gladiators, but they aren't starting back up production on Challengers/Chargers/300, Voyager/Pacifica or Cherokee production.

Similarly, GM is increasing production of Cadillacs, Silverados and Tahoes while keeping other car production down.

It will likely be until late June or early July before chips are available in enough numbers to achieve 2019 Q3 build levels at the US automakers according to the suppliers of such chips.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I work in automotive manufacturing and this chip shortage will be impacting the industry until the 4th quarter of this year. The facility I work in builds structural components for both Ford and GM, the Ford side went down an extra 2 weeks for the regular Christmas shutdown due to chips and came back with a vengeance, then we were forced to suspend production last week due to the natural gas shortage and power rationing. The GM side is down indefinitely until they can allocate chips to that model. Manufacturers are currently allocating chips to their most in demand, top selling models. It's been a rollercoaster ride and will continue until near the end of the year.

·
Registered
2021 Dodge Challenger GT AWD
144 Posts
I ordered an awd gt December 15th. It's expected ship date is Feb 25th now, but the date keeps moving on me so.... We'll see.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,711 Posts
Man, the 14th month of 2020 and still bad news...

A Guy

Reactions: Torred GT

·
Registered
16,214 Posts
Manufacturers are currently allocating chips to their most in demand, top selling models.
That might explain why you haven't been able to order an M6 Hellcat so far this year and think the ordering for 717hp automatics just opened up. Everything been about the Redeye all year so far.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,711 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Haven't looked into it for a few days. I'll post and let you know when I ask about my next update.

·
Registered
144 Posts
@james0061

I spoke with them today. My vehicle is mostly built. it is on the "trim" stage of assembly, which means it should have gotten past the microchip shortage stage. I'm expecting it in a week or two to arrive.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@GunthorNC

oh okok that’s good news . i ordered on 4jan and they said shipping date is 2march . but it’s still in schdule for production status. i don’t know how long it will take

1 - 15 of 15 Posts