Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger Scatpack Torred
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I ordered a RedEye Hood from Dodge directly, and had it painted in Satin black. I've watched a few videos of people upgrading, and am now questioning whether or not this hood already came in Satin black.

I don't see anyone going through a paint process, as most are just installing. What color do body parts come in, specifically hoods?

I was charged 500 Canadian for this work. I suspect I may have been scammed.

Could someone please confirm?

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
994 Posts
Normally they come satin black, which is black e-coat. It's made to be top coated it doesn't weather very well and has poor UV resistance.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,912 Posts
As OregonScat says, the e-coat is not the same as the satin black paint. It is a satin blackish coating. It's meant for rust protection until the end user can have it painted. It will deteriorate fairly quickly in sunlight. So you didn't waste your money ;)

E-Coated hood before paint

A Guy

·
Registered
14,402 Posts
Hello everyone,

I ordered a RedEye Hood from Dodge directly, and had it painted in Satin black. I've watched a few videos of people upgrading, and am now questioning whether or not this hood already came in Satin black.

I don't see anyone going through a paint process, as most are just installing. What color do body parts come in, specifically hoods?

I was charged 500 Canadian for this work. I suspect I may have been scammed.

Could someone please confirm?

Thanks everyone!
Who charged you? The dealer? Just find out what they did.

As said, they come in black but not a black paint that will last. If they charged you for nothing then you have a serious claim with them.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 RT Shaker (STP/A8/FORGED/NAPPA/NO SUNROOF)
453 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,581 Posts
The hoods come in an e-coat, which as pointed out above, is a different finish from the optional satin black.

If you looked at the OEM satin black hood, the top side has a clear satin layer that isn't present on the underside, which is a duller, flatter finish to it.

a bare e-coat is there for corrosion protection after manufacturing, but its isn't durable like a final step finish paint coating would be.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts