Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Dodge Challenger R/T with 58k miles on it. I had to change the calipers and with that rotors and brakes due to the damage it caused. I also have changed the water pump and now it leaking again from the radiator and a suspension arm is squeaking. In college I had a Ford focus that lasted me 120k miles before I sold it and the only issue I had was a water pump towards the end.
I love my car and I would never see myself on a camaro or mustang. I daily my car. Does anyone have issues like these? I want to trade it for a scatpack, but all these issues make me hesitate getting one.

·
Banned
98 Posts
I had a 2013 Ford Focus with the infamous double clutch automatic transmission. I had the clutch adjusted 3 times for shaking. Had the car stop running because the transmission overheated twice. Had them replace the clutches twice before 100,000 miles. When I got rid of it it needed a 3rd clutch. Ford lost a class action lawsuit for knowingly selling a defective transmission and denying it to buyers. They never had a fix for it. I tried to trade it in for a new car but all the dealers black listed it for "unrepairable issues".
So far my Challengers have been great.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a 2013 Ford Focus with the infamous double clutch automatic transmission. I had the clutch adjusted 3 times for shaking. Had the car stop running because the transmission overheated twice. Had them replace the clutches twice before 100,000 miles. When I got rid of it it needed a 3rd clutch. Ford lost a class action lawsuit for knowingly selling a defective transmission and denying it to buyers. They never had a fix for it. I tried to trade it in for a new car but all the dealers black listed it for "unrepairable issues".
So far my Challengers have been great.
I had a 2007 manual transmission focus. My challenger is manual too. How many miles do you have on it?

·
Banned
98 Posts
I had a 2007 manual transmission focus. My challenger is manual too. How many miles do you have on it?
I had a 2012 R/T with 40,000 miles. I currently have a 2017 T/A with only 3,000 miles. Both are 345's which are considered reliable engines and have been in production in trucks and 300's before the Challengers. Others here have higher miles.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
I have a 2014 Dodge Challenger R/T with 58k miles on it. I had to change the calipers and with that rotors and brakes due to the damage it caused. I also have changed the water pump and now it leaking again from the radiator and a suspension arm is squeaking. In college I had a Ford focus that lasted me 120k miles before I sold it and the only issue I had was a water pump towards the end.
I love my car and I would never see myself on a camaro or mustang. I daily my car. Does anyone have issues like these? I want to trade it for a scatpack, but all these issues make me hesitate getting one.
It doesn't read like your 2014 with 58K miles has been particularly troublesome. And you may have contributed to it in some degree.

Why did you have to replace the brake calipers? Did you flush/bleed the brake fluid every so often? Some automakers recommend this be done every 2 years and my experience is this is about as long as one should let the fluid go. Regular brake fluid flush and bleed services can go a long way towards providing long brake system service life.

Apparently Dodge doesn't recommend this service -- which I think is shame on Dodge -- but brake fluid makers do and absent any service guidelines from Dodge regarding this I'd fall back on what the brake fluid makers suggest.

Brake pad and rotor life almost always depend greatly on usage. I have managed around 150K miles on front disc brakes and more than that on rear disc brakes and this with several cars.

The car that needed its brakes done the most often was my Boxster. I did the brakes several times over 16 years and 317K miles.

For the water pump how often have you changed the coolant? Like regular brake fluid flush and bleed services periodic draining of the old coolant and replacing it with fresh can extend water pump and other cooling system component life. I've managed 172K miles from a water pump -- and even at 317K miles the rest of the cooling system was fine including the orignal radiators and original hoses -- and with several cars even at 150K miles the water pump was fine. But every 4 years I have the cooling system drained and refilled with fresh coolant. The coolant has additives which help prolong the life of the water pump seals which in turn prolongs the life of the water pump bearings. Over time these additives get used up/weak and this can lead to premature water pump failure, primarily leaks. Periodic replacement of coolant can also help prevent leaks like from the radiator or other places. It also helps extend coolant hose life.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It doesn't read like your 2014 with 58K miles has been particularly troublesome. And you may have contributed to it in some degree.

Why did you have to replace the brake calipers? Did you flush/bleed the brake fluid every so often? Some automakers recommend this be done every 2 years and my experience is this is about as long as one should let the fluid go. Regular brake fluid flush and bleed services can go a long way towards providing long brake system service life.

Apparently Dodge doesn't recommend this service -- which I think is shame on Dodge -- but brake fluid makers do and absent any service guidelines from Dodge regarding this I'd fall back on what the brake fluid makers suggest.

Brake pad and rotor life almost always depend greatly on usage. I have managed around 150K miles on front disc brakes and more than that on rear disc brakes and this with several cars.

The car that needed its brakes done the most often was my Boxster. I did the brakes several times over 16 years and 317K miles.

For the water pump how often have you changed the coolant? Like regular brake fluid flush and bleed services periodic draining of the old coolant and replacing it with fresh can extend water pump and other cooling system component life. I've managed 172K miles from a water pump -- and even at 317K miles the rest of the cooling system was fine including the orignal radiators and original hoses -- and with several cars even at 150K miles the water pump was fine. But every 4 years I have the cooling system drained and refilled with fresh coolant. The coolant has additives which help prolong the life of the water pump seals which in turn prolongs the life of the water pump bearings. Over time these additives get used up/weak and this can lead to premature water pump failure, primarily leaks. Periodic replacement of coolant can also help prevent leaks like from the radiator or other places. It also helps extend coolant hose life.
The calipers were stuck causing wear on rotors and brakes. I guess I should've changed the brake fluid a year ago but the excessive wear for one year is too much. The coolant was changed 2 years ago. Maybe challengers require a little more care?

·
Registered
2015 Pitch Black Scat Pack 6M
9 Posts
My wife has a 2009 R/T auto with 113k miles. I replaced the battery at around 80k and replaced the alternator at 105k. The steering wheel return function for the turn signal stalk died at about 80k, now it operates like normal turn signal stalk. Also, the driver's window whistles at fwy speeds.

·
Registered
685 Posts
2014 RT Shaker...108,000 miles.
On my 4th water pump (trust me on this...these cars have issues with Water Pump)...you will find that mentioned many times here...it’s a known problem.
Front Rotors/pads lasted 30,000 miles. The 2nd set lasted till now...just changed at 107,000.
Back shocks had to be replaced around 105,000.
Back pads/rotors had to be replaced around 60,000.
Speed sensor on back wheel had to be replaced.
Currently have a loud noise coming from under car...that nobody can diagnose...I suspect that’s going to ending up costing me $1000+ when/if anybody figures out what is causing it.
Tires usually last around 30,000 miles.
Battery replaced around 90,000.
High intensity headlamp went out real early (no idea why)...$500 to replace.
Serpentine Belt and plugs replaced at 100,000...approx $500.
There is more...just going my memory here.
This car has not been reliable and expensive as hell to maintain.
My 2nd one...and probably last one.
All that being said...love the car and wouldn’t want anything else...

Reactions: Pedcar

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
2014 RT Shaker...108,000 miles.
On my 4th water pump (trust me on this...these cars have issues with Water Pump)...you will find that mentioned many times here...it’s a known problem.
Front Rotors/pads lasted 30,000 miles. The 2nd set lasted till now...just changed at 107,000.
Back shocks had to be replaced around 105,000.
Back pads/rotors had to be replaced around 60,000.
Speed sensor on back wheel had to be replaced.
Currently have a loud noise coming from under car...that nobody can diagnose...I suspect that’s going to ending up costing me $1000+ when/if anybody figures out what is causing it.
Tires usually last around 30,000 miles.
Battery replaced around 90,000.
High intensity headlamp went out real early (no idea why)...$500 to replace.
Serpentine Belt and plugs replaced at 100,000...approx $500.
There is more...just going my memory here.
This car has not been reliable and expensive as hell to maintain.
My 2nd one...and probably last one.
All that being said...love the car and wouldn’t want anything else...
What you mention sounds like my challenger. I have $1000 dollars spent on repairs.
I noticed most people saying the car is reliable have 50k or less miles on it, so not a lot of advice pertaining to my situation. Not bashing the car but not going to pretend it's a reliable vehicle. My mechanic says it's the worst brand out there lol.
I got the 100th anniversary rt shaker and I love the looks, but it also sucks being stranded or getting late to work.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,726 Posts
Mechanics are often like salesmen, they have favorites and less favorites. I don't believe Dodge is the worst brand out there, nor do Challengers have more issues than other brands. I always say go by the Mercedes dealership, the service department is full...mind they give you a Mercedes loaner while your car is there...

Often individual brands/engines, etc. have know issues, but it may be their only known common problem (think water pumps). However, if your own car has multiple problems, it doesn't matter, and maybe worse that it's just you. No mechanical/electrical assembly is immune to failure at any time, but it's not like electrical issues on a British sports car

A Guy

·
Registered
362 Posts

Wow!! You really know how to get the most from your cars.

·
Super Moderator
15,542 Posts
the stuck calipers - not a common thing. Is this vehicle in an area with snow / salted roads?

Brake fluid flush / replace intervals @ 2 years I can't recommend enough. Old fluid with moisture build up creates corrosion in ABS pumps ($$$$ to replace) and in caliper bores and in the hydraulic lines.
-its the cheapest form of preventive maintenance I could recommend.

most US makes don't mention it - because in the interest of portraying "low maintenance" costs, its not mentioned - yet most European makes call out for this service (which has been done since the 60s).

The water pumps - this seems to be an issue. If I had mine go out (haven't on either of the Challengers) I'd go with a Gates pump, as they seem to be new manufacture units (not rebuilds) and seem to have some designs that look like the bearing is an improved design.

- the price on the OEM pumps is really out of line for what they are. And then the durability issue.

The suspension bushings - that's going to vary on driving habits and road conditions. Rough roads, potholes and such are going to create more wear.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
The calipers were stuck causing wear on rotors and brakes. I guess I should've changed the brake fluid a year ago but the excessive wear for one year is too much. The coolant was changed 2 years ago. Maybe challengers require a little more care?
Absent something from Dodge on this subject 2 year brake fluid flush/bleed is what I'd follow. And a coolant drain and refill with fresh every 4 years.

But this is no guarantee the brake system won't develop any problems or the cooling system won't develop any problems.

Dodge Challengers may not require, may not be helped by, a "little more" care they may just not be very good cars.

But I would give the car the benefit of the doubt and service the car like the servicing would make a difference.

·
Super Moderator
15,542 Posts
The coolant change intervals vary by years

the early years ('08 - '11?) used G-05 HOAT coolant - every 5 years / 60K miles

later years went to OAT coolant (purple) and it has a 10 year / 150K miles

a coolant testing strip would be used along the way to check if the pH level of the coolant is still satisfactory; if it doesn't test good, then it would be replaced as necessary.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I've gone thru two water pump and had the rear replaced due to the whine. Besides those two items I'm at 71k miles 5 years old. I would say that's reliable! I have flushed the brake fluid at 50k and plan to do it at every 50k. I'll do the same with the coolant & transmission (100k). The rear fluid I replace every 3 years.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I agree with the brake fluid/flush recommendations.

Coolant Flush...I think I have asked this before...but will again...because I’ve had so many other problems recently ( I have been seeking advice here), I’m getting mixed up....When they replace the failed water pumps...doesn’t that equate to a coolant remove/replace? since I have had 3 go out...one recently...should I still do a flush?....because of the pumps failures...I have never had a coolant flush in 108,000 miles...should I get one?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts

Coolant Flush...I think I have asked this before...but will again...because I’ve had so many other problems recently ( I have been seeking advice here), I’m getting mixed up....When they replace the failed water pumps...doesn’t that equate to a coolant remove/replace? since I have had 3 go out...one recently...should I still do a flush?....because of the pumps failures...I have never had a coolant flush in 108,000 miles...should I get one?
Most likely they replaced it unless they recycled it.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
95k miles on my challenger

They are heavy cara, twice the weight of the op’s first car that went 120k miles. Suspension and brakes are wearable parts and on our cars they wear faster due to the more abuse.

All in all the only issues ive had with my car (minus the things i messed with) was the driveshaft bearing at 80k went bad and tie rods getting noisy. Engine has been 100% reliable with proper maintenance

Rear brakes are still oem

Front brakes would have lasted me till now too if i didnt swap for wilwoods

·
Registered
2,410 Posts

It is not a given the coolant will be replaced when the water pump is replaced. In fact unless one specifically asks for this it probably won't be replaced. The tech will drain the coolant into an appropriate container and use this to refill the cooling system after the water pump (and T-stat) has (have) been replaced.

You can be sure if it was replaced the invoice will reflect this. You will be charged for it. If the water pump was done under warranty the factory may authorize the coolant be replaced or it may not. If not you can be sure it will not be replaced unless you ask for it and of course in doing so agree to pay for it.

There is no need for a coolant flush unless the cooling system has been contaminated by say engine oil. In this case the system will be refiled with water and some dish soap added -- Dawn works well for this as it really loosens oil -- and the engine run a while until up to temperature with the heater on full.

This water/soap mixture is drained and the system refilled with water and soap again and the engine run again ujntil up to temperature. Then after the 2nd time just plain water is used at least once. Only then after the cooling system has had just water in it for at least one time will the cooling system be filled with a proper blend of water and anti-freeze.

In just replacing the water pump/T-stat with no signs of the water pump shedding debris a simple drain of the coolant followed by a refill with fresh coolant is all that is required.

·
Registered
2018 PCP Challenger Scat Pack w/dynamics
124 Posts
seems like a mixed bag. Originally had an sxt that I took very good care of, but had several issues related to electrical and overheating. Got my scat pack 5 months ago, and ran into a faulty coolant fan last week. If you take care of it, there’s a good chance you won’t run into many issues, but I’d say luck is certainly a factor as well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts