1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
758 Posts
I’m sorry to say I have not bought that but it looks much nicer than the stock spare that came with my car. The ratcheting wrench is a really nice touch. I’m wondering though if you didn’t have a spare as an option what you do with that foam storage compartment underneath. If it’s removable so that you can put the tire under there. Hopefully somebody will read this and respond to give an answer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,456 Posts
With all wheel drive or limited slip rear ends the tires must be the same size or you risk damaging the drive line.
I took the Mrs suv to Costco for two tires and said only a set of four or I could take them off the car, have them mount them and then put them back on. They had to get sued for that to become policy.
On a Challenger you’d have to put a front tire in back and the spare in the front to accomplish this, not sure if my staggered tires are the same except for the width.
That spare setup is nice though.

·
Premium Member
9,456 Posts
I looked online at a tire comparison chart and my staggered tires are a different height as well so a front tire in the back can affect the rear differential, I could only use a duplicate of what’s there to be safe.

·
Registered
14,505 Posts
Most temp spares are not the exact same size as the other tires but FCA must not feel it's a concern as the M6 R/T that are all built with limited slip either came standard with a spare or can be had as an option since day one. Obviously temporary spare being the key word and it won't kill the rear getting to a tire shop.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
190 Posts
Viewed a thread a few days ago about spare tire options for the Challenger GT. It got me thinking so I went on my way with google.

I came across this kit that as an aluminum wheel that has everything that you need. The company is Modern Spare. Has anyone bought one of their kits? Thinking of going for it.

https://modernspare.com/product/2008-2017-dodge-challenger-complete-kit-all-trims/
I'm not that familiar with what is standard or optional on the GT. I assume your car comes with an inflator kit? I ordered my 2018 R/T from the dealer, and definitely wanted the compact spare. Huge peace of mind to me. I had the inflator kit with my 2015 Scat Pack and 2009 300C SRT8 and never used it...or wanted to use it. I've heard it makes a mess of the rim, pressure monitor and tire. But, if you break down in a bad or isolated area, not much choice of course. Has anyone here had to use their inflator kits? If so, how did the experience go during and after? I know inflator kits seem to be coming more common...my son has one in his 2017 Fiat 500X.

·
Premium Member
9,456 Posts
I believe I read somewhere that the inflator kit sealant needs to be replaced by time not just when used. Can anyone confirm that ?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I believe I read somewhere that the inflator kit sealant needs to be replaced by time not just when used. Can anyone confirm that ?
Yes, owners manual states that there is an expiration date printed on the label. No indication however of how long they are good for. Unfortunately, my trunk is currently full of "stuff" while in winter storage, and I don't feel like digging down to find out until I clean it out in the spring.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a 2014 SRT8 and was surprised to see a full size spare strangley mounted in the trunk taking up all the room. Still manage to get my golf clubs in there thou.

·
Registered
14,505 Posts
I just bought a 2014 SRT8 and was surprised to see a full size spare strangley mounted in the trunk taking up all the room. Still manage to get my golf clubs in there thou.
Export SRT8 cars all seemed to have this full size spare, unfortunately not used or available in North America.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2010 Challenger SRT8
634 Posts
The kit posted by the OP is pretty nice. The ebay spare tire kit I bought for my 2010 SRT8 back in 2011 was $450 and not as nice as this. Mine has a steel spare wheel and requires a spacer.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Bought my 2018 R/T without the spare (couldn't bring myself to spend $300 on a donut), went to car-part.com to find a spare, found the spare, contacted the local salvage yard who has multiple state yards, they shipped in the spare from another area, $75(unused tire) out the door with tax. You can purchase the hardware to lock it down on ebay I believe for around $20

·
Registered
4 Posts
IMO - I'd rather pay $295 for the stock spare than take a chance on screwing up something much more expensive to repair on my $40M car...

·
Registered
486 Posts
From the 2016 OM

Tire Service Kit Usage Precautions
Replace the Tire Service Kit Sealant Bottle (1) and
Sealant Hose (6) prior to the expiration date (printed at
the lower right hand corner on the bottle label) to
assure optimum operation of the system. Refer to
“Sealing a Tire with Tire Service Kit” section (F)
“Sealant Bottle and Hose Replacement”.

Tire Service Kit Expiration Date Location
The Sealant Bottle (1) and Sealant Hose (6) are a one
tire application use and need to be replaced after each
use. Always replace these components immediately at
your original equipment vehicle dealer.

·
Registered
486 Posts
IMO - I'd rather pay $295 for the stock spare than take a chance on screwing up something much more expensive to repair on my $40M car...
Just remember that a stock spare, unless it' a full size spare, has the same restrictions and result in the same damage as an after market spare. For example, keeping speeds below 50 mph and using it for limited distances if possible.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes, owners manual states that there is an expiration date printed on the label. No indication however of how long they are good for. Unfortunately, my trunk is currently full of "stuff" while in winter storage, and I don't feel like digging down to find out until I clean it out in the spring.
My 2018 was built in 11/17 and the expiration date on the can is 7/31/22, so between 4.5 and 5 years.

GatorMark

·
Registered
7 Posts
I did buy the Modern spare tire kit for my 2018 GT. I got the kit with the carrying case since I have sub-woofers in my spare tire well and the spare sits in the trunk. I plan to find a way to anchor it so it doesn't slide around.
I have not used it yet, I haven't even tried it out. When the weather gets better, I'll try it out on one of the front wheels, just to get familiar with the jack and make sure it fits OK and the lug wrench fits the lug nuts.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts