Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How is it going, guys! This is going to sound ridiculous but I have a 2015 Dodge Charger and I am looking to 392 Swap it. My friend has a 2017 Dodge Charger 392 Scat pack that he just totaled without insurance (wise guy.) So I am thinking that I could buy a lot of parts off of him for fairly cheap and swap his good parts for my charger and have a "budget" scat pack. Parts he would be willing to sell to me are motor/trans, brake kit (calipers, pads, rotors), engine and transmission harness, radiator condenser, etc. Anything else you guys think I would need? Do you guys think it is worth it? I have a lift and the means to do it physically. Should I just take his whole front subframe and rear end? What do you guys think thanks!

·
Registered
‘15 R/T 6M STP
564 Posts
You will need the spindles/knuckles (both front and rear) to swap the brakes.

Radiator hose are probably different because the 6.4 has an oil cooler with lines that plumb into the radiator hoses.

Electronics might be the issue. You might need an SP PCM from a 2015 flashed with your VIN to run the 6.4 and it's different features, unless the 2017 PCM would work (still need a VIN change).

Might grab the exhaust, too. The SP will have bigger exhaust with the active exhaust valves. And look for the wiring for the valves as your car probably won't have it (not sure if it will plug in and work or not, either).

The seats in the SP might be an upgrade from yours (not sure).

Don't know enough about the nose of a Charger, but the Challenger has different brake cooling ducts and splitter/belly pan between an R/T and SP (prior to 2019).

Rear diff?

If you can get the parts for cheap, do it. I figure it would be about $13K to trade my R/T for an SP after the price difference and taxes and fees. If I could put a swap together for $8K (and could pony up the cash), I would be all over it.

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
6,873 Posts
I see your Challenger is a 6M. The Charger engine will be MDS equipped since it has the A8 trans. That means you will have to disable the MDS to make it work in the 6M application. (I’m assuming that is good enough and there will be no parts replacement necessary inside the MDS engine to make it non-MDS to work with a 6M, but that should be verified by someone who knows for sure.)

Swapping the transmissions is probably possible, technically speaking, but I can’t imagine it’s something that can be done easily. That would be a dealbreaker for me for sure if it were a requirement to swap the engine successfully.

·
Registered
‘15 R/T 6M STP
564 Posts
I see your Challenger is a 6M. The Charger engine will be MDS equipped since it has the A8 trans. That means you will have to disable the MDS to make it work in the 6M application. (I’m assuming that is good enough and there will be no parts replacement necessary inside the MDS engine to make it non-MDS to work with a 6M, but that should be verified by someone who knows for sure.)

Swapping the transmissions is probably possible, technically speaking, but I can’t imagine it’s something that can be done easily. That would be a dealbreaker for me for sure if it were a requirement to swap the engine successfully.
???

My Challenger is a 6M, but the OP is talking about swapping the parts from a Charger to a Charger so both should be the 8A.

I'd love to do a similar swap, but I was just offering info not talking about doing it myself (anytime soon).

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
6,873 Posts
???

My Challenger is a 6M, but the OP is talking about swapping the parts from a Charger to a Charger so both should be the 8A.

I'd love to do a similar swap, but I was just offering info not talking about doing it myself (anytime soon).
Oops, sorry, I just got up, haven’t even had my 1st Mr Pibb of the day to wake me up...

Reactions: DionR

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just started getting to work on it! I appreciate all the information! I will keep you guys updated I just removed the rear subframe on my 2015 R/T and replacing it with the SC rear subframe. Everything looks like it is going to be plug and play except for the active exhaust! How do I get his PCM flashed to my Vin number? Is the PCM and BCM going to be able to communicate?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rear Subframe has been completely swapped. Everything bolted right up super easy. Started to get late so I am going to put on the brake lines tomorrow, plus in the Abs Sensors then should be all good! I just removed the wiring harness for the active exhaust system because there isn't anywhere for the harness to connect to the car. After that, I'm going to be dropping the whole front cradle, engine, transmission, everything in one go!

·
Registered
‘15 R/T 6M STP
564 Posts
Everything looks like it is going to be plug and play except for the active exhaust!
I guess I was hoping that the plug for the AE was hanging there somewhere and you could just plug it in. Or swap the rear harness with the one with AE. But it was just a guess.

How do I get his PCM flashed to my Vin number? Is the PCM and BCM going to be able to communicate?
I think a shop that will tune Mopars could do it. Pretty sure HPTuner will do the job, so just need to find someone with the know how.

I would worry a little bit on the 2017 PCM and harness in a 2015 car. Might be worth checking the pinout for the plug where they would connect to make sure Dodge didn't move wires around between the model years. If needed, you should be able to buy a used Scat Pack engine harness from a 2015 and then have a 6.4 tune put on your PCM. Transmission harness shouldn't be different.

BTW, only real differences between your 5.7 harness and the 6.4 harness is the length of some wires to a plug someplace around the throttle body and the additional wires for the SV solenoid. You could use your harness and extend the wires that are short and add the missing wires, if need be.

Not sure on the PCM talking to the BCM. Too much unknown, but not impossible that it will work.

Might think about grabbing the ABS module, too. Not sure if they are different.

Keep it up!

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
I would double check but I would think if you took the whole drive train wire harness and all the models with the VIN in them, you should not need anything else but, if all that is use able then the car can not be in that bad of shape so take the whole car and swap your body panels to it and get it painted.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Sounds like you have all the parts you would need

Going to need to do the whole front spindle assembly so maybe easier to swap the motor still on the cradle

Pcm and all

It's like a major heart transplant haha.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What's up guys so I got my whole front cradle out. I am now putting his in today! It isn't very easy moving this thing all around lol. His Scat Pack has some horrible frame damage which is why I am not just buying his car. All the ECU plugs and everything is the exact same. ECU connectors are the same so everything looks like it isn't going to be a problem. The only issue I think I am going to have now is that my shifter is on the steering column since it is a (police Interceptor) Not sure if it is going to have the same plugs or anything. I know that the Scat Packs Shifter is completely electronic so i think I might be screwed lol. I am going to start sharing some pictures here in the next post!

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
What's up guys so I got my whole front cradle out. I am now putting his in today! It isn't very easy moving this thing all around lol. His Scat Pack has some horrible frame damage which is why I am not just buying his car. All the ECU plugs and everything is the exact same. ECU connectors are the same so everything looks like it isn't going to be a problem. The only issue I think I am going to have now is that my shifter is on the steering column since it is a (police Interceptor) Not sure if it is going to have the same plugs or anything. I know that the Scat Packs Shifter is completely electronic so i think I might be screwed lol. I am going to start sharing some pictutres here in the next post!
So your R/T has the wiring harness for the intake to switch to "Short Runner Mode"?

·
Registered
‘15 R/T 6M STP
564 Posts
You are going from a 5 speed auto to an 8 speed auto then

I think you are going to need to grab the column, console and shifter from the SP as well. Seriously doubt the shifter for the NAG1 will work with the 8HP70 in the SP.

Reactions: Frank Julian

·
Registered
‘15 R/T 6M STP
564 Posts
So your R/T has the wiring harness for the intake to switch to "Short Runner Mode"?
I think he is using the SP harness, not his R/T harness.

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
You are going from a 5 speed auto to an 8 speed auto then

I think you are going to need to grab the column, console and shifter from the SP as well. Seriously doubt the shifter for the NAG1 will work with the 8HP70 in the SP.
another question, is the drive shaft going to be compatible?

·
Registered
‘15 R/T 6M STP
564 Posts
another question, is the drive shaft going to be compatible?
Good point.

Based on a quick google search, one piece drive shafts seem to split all the options between 2014 and older or 2015+.

Looks like he will need the driveshaft as well.

I am guessing he will grab the trani cooler lines and such when he drops the SP front cradle as I bet those are different as well.

Cross member, trans mount, maybe other stuff?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I got the driveshaft from the SP. I am also using the SP engine wiring & transmission harness. I’m getting the center console, shifter etc. However, is the Wiring for the shifter in the SC on the transmission or in the actual car?

·
Registered
‘15 R/T 6M STP
564 Posts
So I got the driveshaft from the SP. I am also using the SP engine wiring & transmission harness. I’m getting the center console, shifter etc. However, is the Wiring for the shifter in the SC on the transmission or in the actual car?
There should be some wiring in the car you will need. The shifter is all electronic so there must be a harness that runs someplace under the console.

·
Registered
‘15 R/T 6M STP
564 Posts
But don't forget that there is a cable under the console for if you need to put the car in neutral if the car has no power. There is a lever under the little pocket to the right of the shifter that pulls the cable and puts the car in beutral.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So the Police 2015 Charger R/T the car that is getting the heart transplant has a 5 speed transmission that is shifted with a cable not electronically. So I am not sure how I am going to get the new scat pack transmission to shift into PRND. This seems to be the only thing holding me back.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts