Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
‘15 R/T 6M STP
566 Posts
Just need to wire in the SP shifter. Unplug the wiring harness from the shifter and follow the wires back until you find a common plug on your car. Hopefully the whole dash harness isn't different. Best case, the wires are already in your car for the shifter and all you have to do is find them (assuming they are wrapped up someplace).

Plug in the shifter along with the engine/trans/PCM with their harnesses and it should shift fine.

Your original cable could be wired up out of the way, but I would swap the whole steering column if possible.

Might grab the Body Control Module from the SP as well, or get a copy of AlphaOBD as I suspect you will have a fair number of changes to make for everything to work.

·
Registered
‘15 R/T 6M STP
566 Posts
Maybe it would help to say that the TCM is in the pan of the transmission. The shifter tells the TCM what gear and the TCM powers solenoids to give you the gear you want. No cables or rods, all electronic. As long as the PCM, shifter and transmission are all plugged in, should work fine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Man oh man I am balls deep into this swap and just got some bad news lol. So if this was a normal charger I would have been damn near set! however, the shifter being up on the steering column is going to make me replace the WHOLE interior wiring harness just to get the car into PRND. I got the front subframe all in. Engine, Trans, radiator all that is in so I am down to the final stretch! tomorrow I start stripping the interior and start laying the 2017 Chargers wiring harness! Honestly if I could go back I would've just coughed up the extra money to trade in this R/T and get a scat haha this is a super super involved process. I absolutely hate wiring so we'll see how this goes.

I'm still not sure how the SP shifter communicates with the shifter in the pan of the transmission because there are absolutely no wires that go down there.

Just ended up swapping the ENTIRE interior harness just to get the shifter to work! All I gotta do now is put the dash harness in should be coming in the next 4 days from the dealership then she should be ready for the first startup!

·
Registered
‘15 R/T 6M STP
566 Posts
Dang. Never would have thought that you would have had to go through so much to add the A8.

Would you have still done this if you had know you had to swap the interior harness?

Why didn't the dash harness from the SP work?

Any pictures? We love pictures. :cool:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
So normally I wouldn’t have to do this much work it’s only because of the stupid 5 speed cable driven transmission. Otherwise this would’ve been 100000% easier. So the SP wiring harness was damaged really bad lol not worth fixing. I would only do this again if I could get the parts for super cheap like I did this time lol. It was for sure worth it.

I got some pictures I’ll upload them now!

So here’s the whole interior harness laid out! It honestly was pretty easy to swap got it done in about 2 hours

One more random question. When I pulled the 8.4 inch screen the gps said the car was in the middle of nowhere. It was updated To the most recent update. How does it get the GPS signal so I can try to track down which wire is messed up.

·
Registered
‘15 R/T 6M STP
566 Posts
Glad you pressed on with it. Seems like most of the time these kind of threads turn into vaporware.

Be cool if you could still make it look like a Pursuit somehow, kind of the ultimate Cop Car.

·
Registered
‘15 R/T 6M STP
566 Posts
Not sure on the GPS. It was thought at one time that the purple connector on the back was both GPS and cell antenna and ran to the shark fin antenna on the roof. But I think now it has been figured out that the GPS antenna is on a wire in the big plug on the back of the radio. Not sure where the GPS antenna is though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I was thinking about putting some sort of hidden “cop lights” in the grill and stuff to retain the original pursuit look. I’m absolutely following thru with this project ! I’ll update every two days with pictures and progress! Appreciate all your help honestly do brother!

·
Registered
‘15 R/T 6M STP
566 Posts
I was thinking about putting some sort of hidden “cop lights” in the grill and stuff to retain the original pursuit look.
Just don't make them blue and red. 🤣

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Dash Wiring harness just Came in today! Best believe I’m gonna work on it all day & night hopefully get the first start today! I still need to source a driveshaft & radiator. Also what do you guys think. Should I paint it or get it wrapped?

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Dash Wiring harness just Came in today! Best believe I’m gonna work on it all day & night hopefully get the first start today! I still need to source a driveshaft & radiator. Also what do you guys think. Should I paint it or get it wrapped?
If I were you, I would go for a wrap and a 1 piece drive shaft.

·
Registered
‘15 R/T 6M STP
566 Posts
Also what do you guys think. Should I paint it or get it wrapped?
Need to see a picture of the car to have an opinion. 😂

·
Registered
‘15 R/T 6M STP
566 Posts
If I were you, I would go for a wrap and a 1 piece drive shaft.
He has a Charger, I thought they couldn’t do a one piece driveshaft due to a longer wheelbase?

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
He has a Charger, I thought they couldn’t do a one piece driveshaft due to a longer wheelbase?
I don't see how that would be an issue

Most truck have 1 piece shafts from the factory?

And please correct me if I'm wrong, but the challenger and charger sit on the same chassis? Isn't it the exact same ?

We're talking about the same motor, same trans, same diff as would be in a challenger which is also sitting on the same subframes

·
Registered
‘15 R/T 6M STP
566 Posts
I don't see how that would be an issue

Most truck have 1 piece shafts from the factory?

And please correct me if I'm wrong, but the challenger and charger sit on the same chassis? Isn't it the exact same ?

We're talking about the same motor, same trans, same diff as would be in a challenger which is also sitting on the same subframes
Don’t know, I just remembering seeing this post - Aluminum One Piece Driveshaft For Your R/T Challenger.

I know the Challenger has a 116.2” wheelbase and the Charger has a 120” wheelbase and was guessing that made the difference.

Maybe the comment in the above link is related to the CV joint?

Not saying it can’t happen, not something I have looked into. Was more asking than telling.

Reactions: trippytro

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Don’t know, I just remembering seeing this post - Aluminum One Piece Driveshaft For Your R/T Challenger.

I know the Challenger has a 116.2” wheelbase and the Charger has a 120” wheelbase and was guessing that made the difference.

Maybe the comment in the above link is related to the CV joint?

Not saying it can’t happen, not something I have looked into. Was more asking than telling.
Even if it isn't "off the shelf" should be no issue getting one made even at a local driveshaft shop

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I got rained out today! But New dash harness is in! Radiator, radiator support is in! I am so so so close to done! Might go to harbor freight and buy one of those covers just so I can keep working today haha. I’ll get pictures of the car once it’s a little more done lol she looks like a mess

·
Registered
‘15 R/T 6M STP
566 Posts
Be aware that most of the modules have a VIN in them and if you use some from your car and some from the SP, you probably have mismatches. I think AlphaOBD will write a new VIN in some of them, not sure about all. Just something to think about.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Honestly I have no idea what I’m gonna do because I’m sure I am going to have mismatched vins everywhere lol.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts