1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
3,193 Posts
I have not myself, but I have kept track of many buybacks of Chevy Silverado's due to vibrations back when I made the mistake of buying a GM. It's a long process involving lawyers, mediators and the factory. In your case, unfortunately, it may be a non starter due to the fact that the Factory was only guilty of a paint run and the dealership and their chosen body shop screwed it up. With a serious factory defect it would go through mediation. But a dealership is going to try a few fixes then say too bad so sad. At that point, to go further would require bucks for a lawyer on your part and if they can end up with a valid repair, you're stuck with it. I would start by trying to get Dodge to put some pressure on the dealership and go from there.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have not myself, but I have kept track of many buybacks of Chevy Silverado's due to vibrations back when I made the mistake of buying a GM. It's a long process involving lawyers, mediators and the factory. In your case, unfortunately, it may be a non starter due to the fact that the Factory was only guilty of a paint run and the dealership and their chosen body shop screwed it up. With a serious factory defect it would go through mediation. But a dealership is going to try a few fixes then say too bad so sad. At that point, to go further would require bucks for a lawyer on your part and if they can end up with a valid repair, you're stuck with it. I would start by trying to get Dodge to put some pressure on the dealership and go from there.
Thank you for your post.

Dodge is already involved, I created a case with them after the first repaint, when they put the stripe on crooked and peeled up clear coat when removing it.

I think them painting 3 times and still having issues should be enough, but that is why I posted this and asked.

If there is an agreement met, to have them buy it back......do I just drop it off and they cut me a check?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,193 Posts
Thank you for your post.

Dodge is already involved, I created a case with them after the first repaint, when they put the stripe on crooked and peeled up clear coat when removing it.

I think them painting 3 times and still having issues should be enough, but that is why I posted this and asked.

If there is an agreement met, to have them but it back......do I just drop it off and they cut me a check?
A lot will depend on Dodge and what influence they have. With a dealership, and I had the misfortune of working for one for five years, I can just about guarantee they will offer to buy it back at trade in value. To get full replacement value is going to be a chore again, unless Dodge takes responsibility for a warranty repair gone bad. That may be a valid angle to approach this.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A lot will depend on Dodge and what influence they have. With a dealership, and I had the misfortune of working for one for five years, I can just about guarantee they will offer to buy it back at trade in value. To get full replacement value is going to be a chore again, unless Dodge takes responsibility for a warranty repair gone bad. That may be a valid angle to approach this.
You're exactly right. They have already offer me trade in on a new car, but I am not happy with the 32K offer. I only have 4k miles on it, and I wouldn't be trading it in or trying to get rid of it if they didn't attempt to paint it 5 times.

·
Premium Member
3,193 Posts
You're exactly right. They have already offer me trade in on a new car, but I am not happy with the 32K offer. I only have 4k miles on it, and I wouldn't be trading it in or trying to get rid of it if they didn't attempt to paint it 5 times.
Amazing how that works. They screw it up and then expect to make money off their screw up. They have no shame. I hope Dodge steps up for you. This kind of thing really torques me.

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
The buy back process is normally handled by the manufacturer, at least it was in my case. That process was due to numerous factory defects in the paint and it took about a month start to finish. Once I presented the car for inspection at the dealership, a week after purchase, an appointment was set up with a regional rep the following week. He agreed that the entire car needed painted and that it made more sense to just get me another car. There just happened to be one unloading while I was there and the sticker was within $300 of the buy back car so that made it easy. The new car was stored while the paperwork process was taken care of by a third party mediator and I was clear to continue driving the other car until the process was complete. To me, it was painless, the dealership, mediation team and Dodge were all more than accommodating and I got to use a 6 speed Scat Pack as a daily driver for a month before I got into my current A8 SPS.
If your dealership is offering a buy back, I would imagine that it is through them in which case your expirience may not be as pleasant.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I am curious, has anyone in here gone through the buy back process?

If so, I'm just looking for details and timeframe from start to finish.

Thanks!

Details on my disaster here:
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=618521&share_tid=618521&share_fid=90730&share_type=t
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f188/2017-gt-paint-issues-603378/?highlight=

Don't know if this will help you or not........I had some problems with my paint on the 17 GT I bought.........one guy answered my thread where Dodge did buy back his car...............I had defects on the hood & trunk lid.........had to whine like a girl for two weeks before Dodge agreed to fix the car. Alls good now, but that doesn't help you out any. I'm surprised they put the stripe back on your car, they told me to not even wax the hood or back for at least 60 days.

I wanted them to repaint the whole car......they wouldn't, then I wanted them to buy back the car, they said, "sure well give you $27,000" for the car............that was trade in value, the car had 500 miles on it.

I'm not too hep on the puter, so if that link doesn't come up, mine was from 08-20-2017....under Richs66

Hope all works out for you.

Rich

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The buy back process is normally handled by the manufacturer, at least it was in my case. That process was due to numerous factory defects in the paint and it took about a month start to finish. Once I presented the car for inspection at the dealership, a week after purchase, an appointment was set up with a regional rep the following week. He agreed that the entire car needed painted and that it made more sense to just get me another car. There just happened to be one unloading while I was there and the sticker was within $300 of the buy back car so that made it easy. The new car was stored while the paperwork process was taken care of by a third party mediator and I was clear to continue driving the other car until the process was complete. To me, it was painless, the dealership, mediation team and Dodge were all more than accommodating and I got to use a 6 speed Scat Pack as a daily driver for a month before I got into my current A8 SPS.
If your dealership is offering a buy back, I would imagine that it is through them in which case your expirience may not be as pleasant.
Gary, thank you for the post.

The dealership hasn't offered to buy back, they only offered a trade in value of 32k.

I have a case open with Dodge (FCA), and let them know I wanted to start the buyback process on Saturday. My case manager wasn't in on Saturday when I called (after seeing how bad the last paint attempt was). The case manager is supposed to call me Monday to discuss the situation.

Being the car is going to need at least the rear qtr painted again for the 4th time (if not the door and front qtr now too), I sure hope the case manager will start the process.

I already informed the dealership I would work with them to get a replacement or new car if they'd buy it back, but didn't get a reply after that.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Man, I need to learn how to read before posting. LOL

That was Gary T, that answered my post..........he had to have a really decent dealer...........they didn't even offer me a cookie with my coffee before they threw my ass out of the dealership. LOL

Rich

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f188/2017-gt-paint-issues-603378/?highlight=

Don't know if this will help you or not........I had some problems with my paint on the 17 GT I bought.........one guy answered my thread where Dodge did buy back his car...............I had defects on the hood & trunk lid.........had to whine like a girl for two weeks before Dodge agreed to fix the car. Alls good now, but that doesn't help you out any. I'm surprised they put the stripe back on your car, they told me to not even wax the hood or back for at least 60 days.

I wanted them to repaint the whole car......they wouldn't, then I wanted them to buy back the car, they said, "sure well give you $27,000" for the car............that was trade in value, the car had 500 miles on it.

I'm not too hep on the puter, so if that link doesn't come up, mine was from 08-20-2017....under Richs66

Hope all works out for you.

Rich
Thanks Rich, the link worked. It was a good read.

I'll keep this thread updated with progress.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had paint issues with a Ford; warranty stuff, local Ford dealer did 3 paint jobs on door and was still screwed up. I wound up taking it to another body shop and local Ford dealer foot the bill. Dealer approved of this before I did it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A Check? Good Luck with that

Thank you for your post.

If there is an agreement met, to have them buy it back......do I just drop it off and they cut me a check?

Bad paint on a 2012, took it back 2 days after purchase and wanted another car. Dealer refused and said we can fix it. 12 months later, I called the District Manager and he took one look at the car and said they would give me best trade in, rebates and employee pricing on a new car. They gave me what I owed on the 2012, which after 12 months was amazing, employee pricing on the new one, less $3k in rebates...payments went up $40 a month (new one was more, had a killer stereo system in it) but I wasn't walking out daily looking at a mismatched paint job on a new car and didn't have to deal with all the trips to the dealership and driving a loaner all the time. All in all I'm good and love my car but NEVER buy a car, esp. a Dodge at night. Has known paint issues.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bad paint on a 2012, took it back 2 days after purchase and wanted another car. Dealer refused and said we can fix it. 12 months later, I called the District Manager and he took one look at the car and said they would give me best trade in, rebates and employee pricing on a new car. They gave me what I owed on the 2012, which after 12 months was amazing, employee pricing on the new one, less $3k in rebates...payments went up $40 a month (new one was more, had a killer stereo system in it) but I wasn't walking out daily looking at a mismatched paint job on a new car and didn't have to deal with all the trips to the dealership and driving a loaner all the time. All in all I'm good and love my car but NEVER buy a car, esp. a Dodge at night. Has known paint issues.
Good post, thank you.

Did they attempt to fix it, or did you not let them attempt it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry if I wasn't clear. Yes they tied to fix it. First few times buffing and then they painted ONE quarter panel (mind you the car is tri-color red) and I fought that just knowing it would be bad, but again the dealership said it would be great no issues. WRONG...did not match so buffing started again and that's when I lost it and really went off on 3 guys at the dealership. Imagine driving a 35K car and every morning walking out and the first thing you see is your front quarter panel is glowingly a different color than the rest? District Manger was called in and I got a new car.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry if I wasn't clear. Yes they tied to fix it. First few times buffing and then they painted ONE quarter panel (mind you the car is tri-color red) and I fought that just knowing it would be bad, but again the dealership said it would be great no issues. WRONG...did not match so buffing started again and that's when I lost it and really went off on 3 guys at the dealership. Imagine driving a 35K car and every morning walking out and the first thing you see is your front quarter panel is glowingly a different color than the rest? District Manger was called in and I got a new car.
Oh, good stuff! I have the Redline Red (very similar to your color), and I think it's hard to paint just the 1 panel to match. I agree. Not only do I have those issues I mentioned in my thread, but yes....I can see the color is just not perfect.

I might have to give the District Manager a call then too, if I can't get this worked out.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Sorry to hear of your loss, but sadly you are stuck. It's simply not worth pursuing any farther. If it really is important to you; spend the money on a really good custom paint shop rather than a lawyer, it will be cheaper in the long run.

All I got offered for mine was 32k with similar mileage for a new hellcat. Simply put kissing off that kind of money was not possible, so I go without. I now realize the paint is thin and scratches to primer without any real effort at all. Someday I will repaint the whole car with a good color & clear from HOK and be done with it.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry to hear of your loss, but sadly you are stuck. It's simply not worth pursuing any farther. If it really is important to you; spend the money on a really good custom paint shop rather than a lawyer, it will be cheaper in the long run.

All I got offered for mine was 32k with similar mileage for a new hellcat. Simply put kissing off that kind of money was not possible, so I go without. I now realize the paint is thin and scratches to primer without any real effort at all. Someday I will repaint the whole car with a good color & clear from HOK and be done with it.
I don't think I'm out of luck at all, I'll keep pushing. I don't give up easy. There is no way I am going to foot the bill of a custom paint job, when this car had an awesome paint job to start. I don't think a lawyer is necessary at this point either.

I'll keep civilized and communicate with whomever needed to get this resolved.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Evidently I am suffering from brain fog or something, but I cant seem to remember how to start a new thread. Anybody out there can help this big dummy?

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Evidently I am suffering from brain fog or something, but I cant seem to remember how to start a new thread. Anybody out there can help this big dummy?
On tapatalk, use the orange icon picture in the bottom right.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts