Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have read a ton on the internet but have not really found anything where dodge has changed/improved lifters. Afraid to by new 6.4 (or 5.7) as nobody seams to be able to provide info that Dodge has done something substantive or improved them.

Sounds like the needle bearings on the rollers wear out early then start wiping the cam on both mds and non mds engines/lifters.

Doesnt give me a warm fuzzy to plop down 40-50K. I would be ok with normal hemi tick but the lifters wiping out the cam???, no thanks.

Can anybody point to something dodge has done to improve the design of the materials in newer model?

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Some scoff at the notion that the Pennzoil oil that FCA recommends for all their cars is nothing more than a marketing alliance, but the truth is that the Pennzoil 0w40 SRT oil was developed in conjunction with SRT engineers to address the very issue of wear to the phase system. It contains additives designed to reduce said wear, and is a small thing you can do to aid the life of those parts.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Run the correct oil as RobF stated, warm em up before driving and avoid running in MDS mode. In MDS mode the lifters go slack......and that's where the rollers and cam take a beating. Run in Sport mode and the lifters stay tight and all is well :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In MDS mode the lifters go slack......and that's where the rollers and cam take a beating. Run in Sport mode and the lifters stay tight and all is well :)
Understand, would be like the landing gear on a jet touching down and having to quickly spool up going in and out of mds.

But have also read has been on some non MDS lifters as well. Understand sport mode would prevent mds engaging and lifters would be continuously tensioned. Doesn't sport mode feel like you are constantly ragging out the vehicle with higher revs and later shift points constantly, but understand would eliminate mds/b.s.

Melling changed the lifters in February of 2015 for all MDS Hemi applications:

Front: JBK-7522
Rear : JBK-7523

Non-MDS: JBK-7521 (6.1 engine)

The new MDS lifters did make it into the 2016 cars, but there is very, very little information out there from FCA regarding the valvetrain changes. Considering the problems, that's understandable.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would definitely run Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w40 in a 392. Am currently running Ultra Platinum 5w30 in my 3.6 awd GT

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
From just a quick google search, I was able to find stories of camshaft failures from Toyota 5.7L Tundra owners, Chevy 5.3L owners, and Ford 5.4L owners. If you search hard enough, you can probably find stories of cam and lifter failures from just about every other major manufacturer's engines.

Whether or not those are due to lack of maintenance or actual defects, I can't say because I don't know. However I can say that I have daily driven either 5.7L or a 6.4L Hemi for the past 8 years, and have ran them hard on the track. My engines have also seen routine cold starts at -40 degree temps, which is hard on any engine. Despite this, the Hemi engines I have owned have been 100% trouble free so far. I also change my oil around every 6000 or 7000 km. Only Mopar filters and the recommended Pennzoil 0W-40 in my 6.4L.

My advice is, do your maintenance. Don't let a few bad stories scare you away. These engines are awesome. If you want some sort of lifelong guarantee that your Dodge will never wipe out a cam no matter what you do, then you might consider buying something else.

·
Registered
418 Posts
So the SRT brain trust made 0W40 for the 392, OK. What about the 5.7??? "Must use" 5W20 for the MDS/VVT. What's the difference? Same valve train. I would like a engineer to answer this please.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Understand, would be like the landing gear on a jet touching down and having to quickly spool up going in and out of mds.

But have also read has been on some non MDS lifters as well. Understand sport mode would prevent mds engaging and lifters would be continuously tensioned. Doesn't sport mode feel like you are constantly ragging out the vehicle with higher revs and later shift points constantly, but understand would eliminate mds/b.s.

Melling changed the lifters in February of 2015 for all MDS Hemi applications:

Front: JBK-7522
Rear : JBK-7523

Non-MDS: JBK-7521 (6.1 engine)

The new MDS lifters did make it into the 2016 cars, but there is very, very little information out there from FCA regarding the valvetrain changes. Considering the problems, that's understandable.
The only time you will notice the difference is when you drive in MDS and switch back and forth. I hit the Sport button before I put her in Drive and all is normal. Think of it this way....back in the day...there was no MDS. Your Motor "was what it was".....period. To me...Sport mode is NORMAL. MDS is ABNORMAL. Factually, this is true. The thought of running "slack" lifters gives me mechanical nightmares!

Reactions: Don Smith

·
Vendor
12,322 Posts
so much drama, as there been some failures, yes, but with millions of Hemi's running around, its a very small issue, we only, as a rule see the issue with heavily abused police vehicles, service trucks that idle for long periods of time.......etc

have 4 Hemis in my stable currently and no fear, including a 2500 that tows Bigred

·
Registered
413 Posts
Reactions: Parrott_350

·
Registered
413 Posts
so much drama, as there been some failures, yes, but with millions of Hemi's running around, its a very small issue, we only, as a rule see the issue with heavily abused police vehicles, service trucks that idle for long periods of time.......etc

have 4 Hemis in my stable currently and no fear, including a 2500 that tows Bigred
LOL! "Who da baby daddy"?!

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,997 Posts

I thought idling wasn't the problem but how the oil pressure is diverted during MDS activation that had a potential to cause lifter failure? Lifter failure is something I have never worried about on my 2013 5.7 JGC which has close to 110kmiles but I have read on vendor sites that the mopar lifters have an abysmal lifespan.

I thought my 2015 RT manual was safe but to be honest, with the amount of valve train noise it made initially I thought for sure I had a lifter issue.

·
Vendor
12,322 Posts
Hi Stevewhite

It's a very small issue until you are the one paying a $3000 bill.

Regards

Derreck
I never said it was a small issue when it happens, (yes can be expensive to repair) what I said is considering the number of Hemis running around the percentage of failure overall is very very small, basically every Hemi have the same lifter, only difference is MDS versus non MDS

·
Vendor
12,322 Posts

ps the majority of the failures we see, are police vehicles and fleet vehicles, yes we do see some that are regular vehicles, but that number is small

Reactions: ChallyTatum

·
Registered
337 Posts
are there any other ways to keep the MDS away, beside sports mode ? ( and a manual transmission of course) yeah I know about the 'manual', but I have a A8. Its a great transmission (y) I didn't want the MDS but it came with the car. I apologize if this was hit on another thread.
Thanks and best regards

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
are there any other ways to keep the MDS away, beside sports mode ? ( and a manual transmission of course) yeah I know about the 'manual', but I have a A8. Its a great transmission (y) I didn't want the MDS but it came with the car. I apologize if this was hit on another thread.
Thanks and best regards
You can eliminate it from activating in a custom tune. Otherwise, you are looking at a cam and lifter swap but why stop there

1 - 20 of 43 Posts