Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
are there any other ways to keep the MDS away, beside sports mode ? ( and a manual transmission of course) yeah I know about the 'manual', but I have a A8. Its a great transmission (y) I didn't want the MDS but it came with the car. I apologize if this was hit on another thread.
Thanks and best regards
With my R/T Scat Pack MDS was disabled when I had the transmission in manual mode. Also, sport mode disables MDS.

Had I kept the car I probably would have looked in to something like I guess Predator to disable MDS like I used a Predator tool to disable the skip shift in my 2006 GTO.

Here's a link to the Predator 2:

A quick glance over the info I believe depending upon the MY of his car needs an aftermarket PCM. Here's a paste: "*2015+ 300, Charger, Challenger, and 300 vehicles require an aftermarket PCM for tuning. Do NOT tune your 2015+ vehicle without a Diablo Modified PCM"

A link to more info is provided:

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,040 Posts
Reactions: tjconc

·
Registered
783 Posts
Has this vid made the rounds?

I'm curious if there are numbers. If anyone has stats, please post.
Interesting read. This guy seems to know his way around an engine, but he is NOT the designing engineer.

As far as cam/lifter lubrication goes, this HEMI may be a rare case were the "harder" you drive the engine, the more it likes it.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,849 Posts
As far as cam/lifter lubrication goes, this HEMI may be a rare case were the "harder" you drive the engine, the more it likes it.
There are other examples of that. Like the 3.5/3.2s. Getting poor emissions test results, mainly on elderly owners cars that baby them. The root issue was, buildup on the intake valve. The design had rotators in the keepers? but they really only work at moderate to higher RPM, and if you idle around everywhere they don't rotate, and keep the seats clean. I forget where I read that, but my 82 year old dad takes it as a mandate and will wind out his 3.2 1999 Concord every now and then. He has owned it since new, only time in the shop was for A/C work, everything else he has done. I helped with timing belt/water pump/tensioner, as a P.M. a few years ago.
"Blow it out, or blow it up"

·
Registered
873 Posts
There are other examples of that. Like the 3.5/3.2s. Getting poor emissions test results, mainly on elderly owners cars that baby them. The root issue was, buildup on the intake valve. The design had rotators in the keepers? but they really only work at moderate to higher RPM, and if you idle around everywhere they don't rotate, and keep the seats clean. I forget where I read that, but my 82 year old dad takes it as a mandate and will wind out his 3.2 1999 Concord every now and then. He has owned it since new, only time in the shop was for A/C work, everything else he has done. I helped with timing belt/water pump/tensioner, as a P.M. a few years ago.
"Blow it out, or blow it up"
Lol, I think I would get along with your dad

·
Registered
2 Posts
I searched the forum for numbers last night and didn't find any.

Has there been any data collected about how many cars have been affected? I've seen claims of "a few" but that doesn't really answer the question.

If anyone has a link that can be shared, I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,849 Posts
I searched the forum for numbers last night and didn't find any.

Has there been any data collected about how many cars have been affected? I've seen claims of "a few" but that doesn't really answer the question.

If anyone has a link that can be shared, I'd appreciate it.
Well, I guestimate they have sold a couple million HEMIs with MDS, I wouldn't worry about it. I have my 4th now, 1st and 4th both made close to 100K miles with no issues. 1st was a 2006, had it till 2015, 4th is a 2012, just got it with 98K on it, 99.5K now.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,040 Posts
Not just MDS engines

I doubt there is any database, Dodge doesn't even seem to acknowledge an issue...

A Guy

·
Registered
783 Posts
Not just MDS engines

I doubt there is any database, Dodge doesn't even seem to acknowledge an issue...

A Guy
Another good video. Thank you for posting it.

Kinda like "what came 1st, the chicken or the egg?"

The lifter failure wipes out the cam lobe. As the cam lobe and the lifter rollers begin to wear, the oil is contaminated with metal particles. The oil filter captures as much of this trash as it can, but not all of it. The rest of the particles get pumped thru the entire engine (oil pump, main bearings, rod bearings, valve train ect) This metallic trash then wears more lifters, cam lobes, bearing material, piston rings, cylinder bores ect., until a major failure finally happens.

So, is the lifter the issue?? Lack of lube?? Wrong lube?? Too long of a oil change interval??
No doubt the contaminated lube is wreaking havoc on not only the valve train, but the entire engine.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
The lifter failure wipes out the cam lobe. As the cam lobe,and the lifter rollers begin to wear, the oil is contaminated with metal particles. The oil filter captures as much of this trash as it can, but not all of it. The rest of the particles get pumped thru the entire engine (oil pump, main bearings, rod bearings, valve train ect) This metallic trash then wears more lifters, cam lobes, bearing material, piston rings, cylinder bores ect., until a major failure finally happens.
Some of the metal shavings do go through the oiling system. But they mostly fall down into the oil pan. Anytime we replace a cam and lifters for this, we are supposed to drop the oil pan and clean it all out. And of course change the oil and filter.

Here is one from a Grand Cherokee I did recently. 3.6L, but same thing applies to Hemi.

·
Registered
873 Posts
So who's currently making lifters with a better oiling and roller design?
The factory Hellcat lifters are very good, but Johnson lifters are even better (though more pricy). Neither are MDS lifters though. You'd have to delete the rest of the MDS hardware and get a non-MDS cam (stock or aftermarket) to make them work.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,076 Posts
The factory Hellcat lifters are very good, but Johnson lifters are even better (though more pricy). Neither are MDS lifters though. You'd have to delete the rest of the MDS hardware and get a non-MDS cam (stock or aftermarket) to make them work.
Factory hellcat lifts are the same lifters using in 5.7 and 6.4 non-MDS engines.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The Johnson 2356 with axle oiling look like the fix. If I get "the hemi tick" I'll be sure to have one of my Chrysler techs do a warranty cam & lifter replacement but slip those in instead.

·
Registered
873 Posts
The Johnson 2356 with axle oiling look like the fix. If I get "the hemi tick" I'll be sure to have one of my Chrysler techs do a warranty cam & lifter replacement but slip those in instead.
How does one recognize the "Hemi tick" versus an exhaust leak? I'm concerned I might have one of the two. Or are these valvetrains just naturally noisy?

21 - 40 of 43 Posts