Dodge Challenger Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Yup 5.7 - replaced my lifters with the new hell cat lifters - at 170,000 miles ( I do not think that's bad - I should have done it prior when I did the cam). The engine had the 6.4 cam upgrade and the MDS tuned out for years. Stuff wears out. The cool part, not the cost, was I replaced a bunch of stuff in addition to the lifters, new 6.4 cam, new push rods new headers (they had small cracks), gaskets etc. Oh and replaced timing chain and tensioner etc (again). Ok, I bought some parts (Headers etc.) and the Dodge Garage did it (going there for years - great mechanic) all in cost $2,800 ish. I have 174k+ on it - runs like a new 6.1 or maybe 6.4;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
so much drama, as there been some failures, yes, but with millions of Hemi's running around, its a very small issue, we only, as a rule see the issue with heavily abused police vehicles, service trucks that idle for long periods of time.......etc

have 4 Hemis in my stable currently and no fear, including a 2500 that tows Bigred
It DOES HAPPEN to well maintained 5.7's. At 140,000 miles maintained at dealer I might add - had this failure taking my grandson home in the fast lane in Wyetteville, VIR. Was able to complete trip and went straight to dealer - Thought I had bad gas - No such luck. Dave Dennis in Beavercreek worked with me (excellent dealership) & leased a short term 1500 V6 after reviewing all my cost. Not happy with the V6 - mileage sucks - front end feels lose at legal hwy speeds. This is my 4th Dodge truck - looking at options this time. I do have the 5.7 in my wife's Challenger - no issues on that one at 30,000 miles.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts