Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The 2018 Dodge Durango Pursuit is joining the Charger Pursuit in the American automaker’s police vehicle lineup.

The Dodge Charger Pursuit is the top-selling police sedan in the U.S. market, powered by a 5.7-liter HEMI V8 engine with all-wheel drive. Since the Dodge Durango is already known as the Charger of SUVs, Dodge said it was only natural the new Durango Pursuit complements the Charger Pursuit in police fleets across the country.

The Durango Pursuit has the same powertrain as the Charger Pursuit, but also offers a two-speed transfer case for true low-range off-road capability. It also incorporates larger, heavy-duty anti-lock brakes that deliver a 60-to-zero mph stopping distance of 134 feet. Other highlights include best-in-class 7,200-pound towing capacity, 8.1 inches of ground clearance, class-exclusive K-9 friendly Tri-Zone interior temperature control, trailer sway control, and more.
Read more about the Dodge Expands its Police Vehicle Lineup at AutoGuide.com.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
It's no fun when the cops are faster than you are. Back in the the late 70's, cops in my town ran these crap LeBarons with crap 305 V-8's. I could outrun them in my 304 Javelin.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Some enterprising upfitter needs to offer a warrantied blower package for these. Vehicle weight can go up over 1000 lbs loaded over stock, if crown vic’s were an applicable comparison.

Honestly, the 6.4 needs to be in the Durango, having driven both. As soon as the bumper, lights, and cage go in, it’s going to be bogged down bad. And that’s not including a rear drawer kit for patrol, etc.

It’s not even for top speed/acceleration reasons as much as being able to maneuver effectively out of one’s own way. Honestly, the Durango SRT would make a perfect multi-role cruiser, imho, having test driven it in snowy conditions. Don’t think too many departments would have the money to buy and upfit one, though- town/city has gotta spend that money on the gold leaf paint for the new fire truck next door :/

Ugh. Maybe someday.

Cheers,

Chuck

·
Registered
65 Posts
I prefer the Charger over the old Crown Vic. The handling with the IRS is much better. Our office ordered a few back in 14 and have gotten rid of all but 1 which has over 200K and will be out of road service soon. We have almost entirely changed over to the ford Explorer platform. I don't get too picky over what I drive as long as it gets me to calls.

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts
Police generally don’t need the power of the 6.4 Charger. The 5.7 Charger is fast enough to catch most everything that runs from them. The majority of patrol units are driven on city streets or county roads just going to calls for service.

I drove Crown Vics for most of my career and they normally would top out at 130. That’s fast enough to stay in most any chase. I don’t know what the Chargers are governed at but I’ve been told they’ll run around 145. They don’t usually have anyone get away from them.

·
Vendor
12,274 Posts
It's no fun when the cops are faster than you are. Back in the the late 70's, cops in my town ran these crap LeBarons with crap 305 V-8's. I could outrun them in my 304 Javelin.
you mean 318's.....>:)

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
you mean 318's.....>:)
Of course they were 318's. 305 was a crap GM motor. Actually, both of those motors, although never known or used as high-performance motors, were certainly reliable work-horses across a wide array of vehicles, including police, taxi, passenger cars and light pick-up trucks. My Mom's '67 Fury II had a 318 that ran long after the body had rusted away (we drove it around our rural dirt roads and fields when it was no longer able to pass PA state inspection). My brother had a 69 Chevy pickup with a 305, and that motor made it into two additional pickups, as he had a propensity for rolling his trucks over, or driving them directly into telephone poles without ruining the motor/trans.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Police generally don’t need the power of the 6.4 Charger. The 5.7 Charger is fast enough to catch most everything that runs from them. The majority of patrol units are driven on city streets or county roads just going to calls for service.
Do LEOs still "chase" anyone? I recall reading that once they get your info, plate for example, they will find you. Its safer for everyone that way. So there is really no point in running away.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Do LEOs still "chase" anyone? I recall reading that once they get your info, plate for example, they will find you. Its safer for everyone that way. So there is really no point in running away.
They do indeed still chase you. Here in Pittsburgh, there's a high-speed chase reported on the evening news, at least a couple times a week. Obviously, due to the danger to the public, they're trying to restrict that, but statistically, the vast majority of people who run from the cops are doing it in either a stolen car, car with a stolen plate, or a borrowed car. So if the police have a policy to not pursue, it's in the bad-guy's best interest to run from the cops, because if they get away, they'll never be found or caught. Police then, will continue to pursue, if they run the plate, and the car comes back stolen....for exactly this reason.

Same thing regarding shooting perps. Policy is not to shoot someone who's fleeing, however, if the police have reason to believe that the guy running away is armed (like he was just in a car that was involved in a drive-by shooting), and may gain a position to to turn and shoot at the police, the police are then justified in shooting a fleeing suspect....even in the back.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,987 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Dodge Diplomats were an underrated car. My uncle had nicer version Chrylser 5th Ave. Love that car.

Best TV theme song.

[ame="<!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: ame_output -->
<div style="display: none;" id="ame_noshow_post_1533844772_2">
<a href="" title="You Tube" target="_blank">You Tube</a>
</div>
<div style="display: inline;" id="ame_doshow_post_1533844772_2">
<!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: ame_container -->
<div align="center">
<table class="tborder" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="425" style="width:100% !important;margin:10px 0px">
<thead>
<tr>
<td class="tcat" colspan="2" style="text-align:center">
<a href="" title="You Tube" target="_blank">You Tube</a>
</td>
</tr>
</thead>
<tbody>
<tr>
<td class="panelsurround" align="center">
<iframe width="425" height="350" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MGOPMGRIPYE?start=" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
</td>
</tr>
</tbody>
</table></div>
<!-- END TEMPLATE: ame_container -->
</div>
<!-- END TEMPLATE: ame_output -->"]Opening Hill Street Blues [Season 1 HD] - YouTube[/ame]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts