Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So all this talk about the 10 x horsepower rebate dodge is offering for 2 months now has me wondering why they are willing to lose so much for so long. It made me go into my file and pull out my contract when I purchased my Scat Pack in 5/2015. Anyone else who purchased a Scat or Hellcat around those spring months into summer in 2015 can tell you most dealers were out of stock (at least the dealers within a 200 mile radius from me NY/NJ), and the few dealers that did have stock wanted full sticker or $1000 over sticker and if you order one they will not honor any rebates (I know the Hellcat was even worse), at the time Dodge was offering $1000 rebate and I also had a $500 off as good as cash from dodge on any dodge vehicle. I was lucky enough to find a dealer that would order one for me and honor the $1500 in rebates. After I ordered what I wanted with the options the total sticker price was $44,850, we negotiated the price down to $42,500 - $1500 (rebates) $41,000 + BB lifetime warranty, taxes, and all the other fees... Point is that at $41,000 Dodge made money and today they have buyers running out more then ever to cash in on the "great once in a lifetime rebate" If I build my same vehicle today with the options I have its around $48,000 - $4850 + $43,150 they're making more money now with the "huge rebates" on a 5 year old body style. And I'm not knocking the body style, it'll stand the test of time, point is it's not the "new flavor of the month" back in 2015 I couldn't go anywhere without someone stopping me to talk or eyes all on you like you were a something special, that's worth the premium in price. I do still get some attention but nothing like it was 5 years ago.

All you new buyers that purchased 2017 - 2019 were probably the ones always stopping and eyeing up us veteran 2015 owners.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The $2,350 reduction from sticker that you got came from the dealer, not Dodge. The factory rebate went from $1,500 to $4,850 in your example, so deducting only that from the sticker price, Dodge is selling a 2019 for $200 LESS than the 2015.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Without knowing the total cost of all material and labor you have no way of knowing if any of this is true.

Reactions: JustinHEMI

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Without knowing the total cost of all material and labor you have no way of knowing if any of this is true.
Agreed.

This is from a 2012 study and still can't nail down a figure.

"
  • Raw materials and the prices of auto parts – 57% of the total price
  • Research, development, engineering, and running the facilities – 16%
  • Average advertising charges for each sold unit – $1,091
  • Average dealership markups per unit – $1,497
  • Estimated sales tax for each car – $4,984 "

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know Dodge gets a set amount for each vehicle, I would think the cost to make the same vehicle each years goes down, and dodge raised the MSRP window sticker & destination, on my same vehicle with the same options is probably around $3500 more plus the $1500 rebate would be approx $5000 savings I had from todays MSRP which is close enough to the $4850 today., Just that today Dodge has the buyer running out to buy the deal of the century when it's really the same deal and they make the same profit. Good Marketing!! Not to mention, not a new flavored vehicle

·
Registered
981 Posts
I know Dodge gets a set amount for each vehicle, I would think the cost to make the same vehicle each years goes down, and dodge raised the MSRP window sticker & destination, on my same vehicle with the same options is probably around $3500 more plus the $1500 rebate would be approx $5000 savings I had from todays MSRP which is close enough to the $4850 today., Just that today Dodge has the buyer running out to buy the deal of the century when it's really the same deal and they make the same profit. Good Marketing!! Not to mention, not a new flavored vehicle
You think the cost year over year to build vehicles goes down? Shouldn’t cars be like $3 to build now than? You said it all in your first sentence “dodge gets a set amount.” Which is why the price went up, they had to make up the difference for increased employee wages, their benefits and the cost of materials going up.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I said the same body style, same interior, same engine etc etc, the cost should go down, since they're buying more of the same technology that's aging, now everytime they upgrade the interior, body style, engine, etc etc costs should go up. I guess you can argue payroll goes up, cost to run the facility goes up, etc etc. I would think it would be a wash so that's why I said "I would think" the cost to make the same vehicle would go down. but even if costs stays around the same, they will roughly make the same per vehicle.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I said the same body style, same interior, same engine etc etc, the cost should go down, since they're buying more of the same technology that's aging, now everytime they upgrade the interior, body style, engine, etc etc costs should go up. I guess you can argue payroll goes up, cost to run the facility goes up, etc etc. I would think it would be a wash so that's why I said "I would think" the cost to make the same vehicle would go down. but even if costs stays around the same, they will roughly make the same per vehicle.
They updated the body and interior in 2015. The body got new front fascia, new updated R/T hood, new rear end treatment. Interior was improved along with the 8.4 Uconnect system.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know in 2015, that's the entire point of this thread, I bought a 2015 when they updated everything, costs should have been at their highest, now the car is 5 years old, and with massive rebates that are unheard of Dodge is still clearing close to the same, and everyone buying now is thinking they are getting the best deal out there. DODGE... the MARKETING KING!!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,475 Posts
I don't get the costs going down? Even if everything else remains equal, then the costs would only remain the same? And we all know paying bills, nothing remains equal. They don't retool, and then add the additional cost to the 2015s, they amortize over several years, including 2019s. Raw materials, wages, electricity, etc. will historically always rise.

I think it comes down to it costs Dodge X to manufacture a car. Even with $10 per HP rebates, they are still making money, just less than if they sold them without. They obviously weren't selling them or they wouldn't have offered/offer the rebate. If you sell 10 cars at $1,000, it will be better to sell 100 at $900...

Compared to recent prices, and MSRP, it's a good deal if you have been wanting one

A Guy

Reactions: Cominfromcamaro

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
If I build my same vehicle today with the options I have its around $48,000 - $4850 + $43,150 they're making more money now with the "huge rebates" on a 5 year old body style.
More rebates than that. My scat that I bought earlier this month stickered for 48K. After all rebates, the price was $40,237 with no haggling. I didn't want to, as I was stealing the car already and the dealership was awesome to work with. No shady add on fees etc...

·
Registered
981 Posts
More rebates than that. My scat that I bought earlier this month stickered for 48K. After all rebates, the price was $40,237 with no haggling. I didn't want to, as I was stealing the car already and the dealership was awesome to work with. No shady add on fees etc...
mine stickered for 47K and I paid 40.5K.

Reactions: Stitches1974

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
mine stickered for 47K and I paid 40.5K.
It truly is a great time to by a Challenger, if you can find one with the options and color you want. I had to travel 3 hours for my second color choice and didn't want nav or the sunroof, but had all of my mandatory options. $7,700 in rebates negated those options and then some. So, around 16% off of MSRP if my math is right.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
The car in my sig stickers at 51115, dealer is selling at invoice of 48767, - power dollars 4850 - 1000 USAA - 500 work rebate for 42417. Pretty happy!

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
The car in my sig stickers at 51115, dealer is selling at invoice of 48767, - power dollars 4850 - 1000 USAA - 500 work rebate for 42417. Pretty happy!
I had 4850 in power dollars, 1500 dealer discount, 1000 finance discount, 500 millitary discount. IIRC.

·
Registered
981 Posts
It truly is a great time to by a Challenger, if you can find one with the options and color you want. I had to travel 3 hours for my second color choice and didn't want nav or the sunroof, but had all of my mandatory options. $7,700 in rebates negated those options and then some. So, around 16% off of MSRP if my math is right.
you guys got screaming deals!! My dealer found my exact car I wanted in New Mexico and shipped it here. I didn’t care about the technology package but every other option was perfect on it. The only thing I wish I could have had from the factory was the carbon fiber stripes but Dodge has a very strange distinction between scat packs and SRTs and not allowing customization and race stripes on non-SRT vehicles. I’m going after market but I’m being told carbon fiber is a PIA to deal with, breaks my heart, it looks so good.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,475 Posts
but Dodge has a very strange distinction between scat packs and SRTs and not allowing customization and race stripes on non-SRT vehicles.
Hold on! A Scat Pack is not a SRT??! :sneaky:

A Guy

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The intent of this was not to offend anyone, or to brag that I got the best deal out there, the point was that with all the hype and talk behind the $10 x horsepower rebate, I was thinking why is dodge taking such a loss for 2 months and I was feeling a little envious and thinking maybe I should trade up to a 2019 too and take advantage of this, and that's where the great marketing comes in. It's pretty much the same deal I had, in 2015 my sticker was $44850 equivalent to $48,000 today and I paid $41000 with the rebates and negotiating. Yes Dodge is making less with this rebate on 2019 models than they did the rest of the year but there is no rush to run out and buy now for the deal of the century, you can get close to the same deal from the right dealership at anytime of the year and even if it's a first year model, Dodge is always getting PAID handsomely!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts