Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
I don't know just not a big fan of what Dodge did in terms of specific trim details being allowed on all cars now. Its taken the zing out of seeing the Hellcat hood - I see it now all the time on 5.7's! So no more real distinguishing trims to set your car apart. I will leave mine just the way it is - it ain't no poser!
WRONG!!

You may have some ideas of your own concerning "status" or what-ever it is you see when a specific trim feature is seen on any individual car but rest assured the ONLY THING DODGE WANTS........is more sales.

When they see the popularity of a specific feature or the failure of some feature to gain much traction.......these are the only considerations they probably look at when selecting what to make "standard" vs optional.

Ultimately a Hell Cat is a Hell Cat is a Hell Cat because of the more expensive and powerful engine under the hood and all of the other supporting pieces required to make it work and not lead to more warranty repairs.

Hoods? Hey, the Hell Cat style hood likely costs just about the exact same amount for the company to produce and add to the car vs the standard hood.

You can bet your last dollar the only reason the Hell Cat hood made it's way to the Scat Pack is found in the idea of attempting to generate more sales. It had nothing to do with YOUR IDEA of what should or shouldn't be allowed.

BTW- If you choose to put a hell cat hood on your car......it doesn't make you a "poser". Most would agree that the addition of the Cat Badge is pretty silly but the Hood is nothing more than a styling choice.

·
Registered
853 Posts
That's not the old hellcat hood with the "heat extractors", that's the old SRT hood, or AAR 'Cuda themed hood. Seriously if they made a front end with 1 headlight on each side instead of 2 it would look like an old AAR 340 six pack car.
Yup! It's actually kinda funny that this hood made it's way to a Challenger. Back in the day it was a big "no-no" to swap the hood appearance of a Dodge and a Plymouth.......yet in pretty clear illustration of how there are no "rules" and it's silly to believe there are......Chrysler itself has swapped the old Cuda hood theme onto a Modern take on the TA Challenger.

For what it's worth it does create some Confusion...... I've had more than just a couple of people ask if my 392 TA is a Hell Cat and the Hood is probably part of it. I expect to hear far less of that as the new 2019 Scat Packs have hit the street with an actual Hell Cat hood.

I like my hood better that the Hell Cat hood. The heat extractor treatment is a step too far IMO. Too busy looking. But again that just my opinion. Others may disagree. Dodge is certainly counting on the idea that my opinion is not so popular. Proof of that is found in how they have selected the Hell Cat Hood for wider use across the line up of V8 powered Challengers.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I'm more than happy with my old '16's hood too.

View attachment 980224
You should be. Understated and simple.........also clearly the single most faithful Retro take of all the Hoods you could ever get on a Modern Challenger. No other hood available since '08 is a close to the original appearance from the early 1970s. I have to believe it's no small part of the reason it's the hood Dodge Chose to use as the Standard Issue hood on all the cars ..........I'm actually more than a little surprised Dodge never made it available to the Hell Cat Buyer who might have wanted a more stealth appearance package.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Easier to lay down the black hood without the exit vents, or looks more traditional?
possibly both. But if I can figure out how to wrap my hood with stripes with no experience I’m sure their experienced vinyl installers wrap those hoods in less than an hour.

·
Registered
2019 SXT Plus AWD
188 Posts
Most people can't tell the difference between a Challenger and a Charger, and you're worried about a hood?
Not too long ago I had some tell me "nice Charger".

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
Who gives a **it about "confusion"? The second you offer more than 1 option, there's always going to be that one idiot that gets "confused".

21 - 32 of 32 Posts