Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.
So my dodge chally has moisture inside the tailights. Seems to be due to some small hairline cracka in the taillights that started under warranty.

What do you guys suggest i do. I hear these are exepensive to replace out or warranty, since my warranty expired last year

Attachments

·
Registered
968 Posts
Kind of sucks that it's already happening on a 2015 to begin with though. I'm pretty big on using OEM parts - *especially* lighting - but if the OEM parts are going to fail so soon, maybe it's not really worth it in this case? I mean if you can get an aftermarket taillight for $150 (an example, no clue what they really cost) and it lasts 4 years, you'll be ahead of the game. :)

Although, hopefully, a failure this quick is the exception and not the rule for the OEM parts... Does anyone know if this is a common issue with the 2015+ Challenger OEM taillights? Typically, OEM lights are much better quality than aftermarket (which is usually why they cost so much more).

·
Registered
968 Posts
Hmm.... Any chance they replaced the originals with aftermarket versions? I can't imagine that is the case with a factory warranty, but....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hmm.... Any chance they replaced the originals with aftermarket versions? I can't imagine that is the case with a factory warranty, but....

I have had it happen twice on two new GM vehicles with both fixed under warranty. Probably more common than anyone realizes across all makes. Steve Whites price is really very good on that tail lamp.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I have had it happen twice on two new GM vehicles with both fixed under warranty. Probably more common than anyone realizes across all makes. Steve Whites price is really very good on that tail lamp.
You mean twice a factory warranty replaced OEM parts with aftermarket parts? If so, that's crazy. I would have assumed a factory warranty handled at a dealership would use OEM parts... I have to quit assuming! :)

I've had experience with aftermarket headlights and most of them are absolute crap (condensation, straight up water leaks and fitment issues).

·
Registered
20 Posts
You mean twice a factory warranty replaced OEM parts with aftermarket parts? If so, that's crazy. I would have assumed a factory warranty handled at a dealership would use OEM parts... I have to quit assuming! :)

I've had experience with aftermarket headlights and most of them are absolute crap (condensation, straight up water leaks and fitment issues).

No, twice I have had new vehicles with leaking tail lamps and headlamps. Replaced with OE. Now you have to know what you're buying when it comes to aftermarket parts. The cheap stuff does tend to be crap. Then you get into CAPA and NSF certified which must match OE exactly (fit, construction and materials). The trouble is when you buy online the brand is not usually specified so you don't know what your getting.

·
Registered
968 Posts
No, twice I have had new vehicles with leaking tail lamps and headlamps. Replaced with OE. Now you have to know what you're buying when it comes to aftermarket parts. The cheap stuff does tend to be crap. Then you get into CAPA and NSF certified which must match OE exactly (fit, construction and materials). The trouble is when you buy online the brand is not usually specified so you don't know what your getting.
Oh, Ok - good, that makes me feel better then (that it wasn't OEM being replaced with aftermarket under factory warranty)!. :)

So would you be OK with a CAPA/NSF-certified part being used in place of an OEM part in general? Or are you just referring to lighting-related parts? I was always under the impression that even CAPA-certified body panels, for example, don't always fit as good as OEM body panels.

Just picking your brain here... :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Oh, Ok - good, that makes me feel better then (that it wasn't OEM being replaced with aftermarket under factory warranty)!. :)

So would you be OK with a CAPA/NSF-certified part being used in place of an OEM part in general? Or are you just referring to lighting-related parts? I was always under the impression that even CAPA-certified body panels, for example, don't always fit as good as OEM body panels.

Just picking your brain here... :)

As long as its CAPA or NSF yes. What many don't know is that even OE doesn't fit perfectly all the time. If the vehicle has been hit hard the body shop may not have it perfectly straight. On the other side the presses used to make the sheet metal can become worn with time and parts can be made that are not 100% to specifications. This would be true with OE or after market. Really if a person feels better with OE then that is the way to go.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the help everyone! dealer quoted me 650 for replacement. I might try to get the humidity out and find a way to seal it, since the tailights still function.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
6 Participants
arty92
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing