Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 167 Posts

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay. I tried to get someone else to start this thread a couple of times. No takers it seems. Let me see if I can write this simple enough for everyone to understand including myself. Where's my Webster's Dictionary?

The purpose of this thread is to use it as a time capsule of sorts. We'll be able to look back on this thread almost 2-years from today, and use the comments to see who had the most insight and wisdom into what would happen specificially 2-years down the road.

The hard question is as follows: Where will Dodge, the Dodge Challenger, our fuel situation, and this country be come January 2013?

Look into your imaginary crystal ball and put down in as many words as you like on what you visualize. This is NOT a debate thread so please only one observation post! If you don't agree with someone's thoughts you can chastise them for it in 2-years :) .

"The state of the USA economy (including Canada's) in the next couple of years will play a big part on whether or not musclecars will continue to be produced. Fuel costs will be a significant part of the equation. Reading through other posts on this forum, some say the Challenger will be here for years to come. Others say it won't."

What you say?

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
My prediction is that the Challenger will be around for MY2013, but might not be around for 2014 as it is not slated to go past this point. As per Chrysler's 5 year plan.

·
Registered
85 Posts
There will still be musclecars, the majority of cars made by all manufacturers are not powerful V-8s, they are 4 and 6 cylinder cars. The big 3 don't sell tons of their of their most powerful models, those are a small percentage and barely affect their CAFE ratings.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I think that the car will still be around, and it will offer the same trims as those that are currently offered (V6, RT, SRT). They may do some tweaking for each model year but it will still be around.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
If I recall, the bill or w\e dosen't effect current model cars....only newer design cars....all the "new" designs or "refreshes" have to meet the new EPA standards...I could be wrong though, but that's what I remember, so the Challenger wouldn't technically be effected, but naturally no one is going to want it if Obama makes gas 5$ a gallon, we're going to have a mad max on our hands with post apocalyptic bad ass muscle cars if this guy continues :O, so silly to "force" a nation based on freedom to change, the government was never supposed to have this much impact on this crap.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
H2 or more commonly known as Hydrogen. Green Power GWE :)

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
For 2013 I believe the Challenger will still be around. I think in the future if gas prices continue to stay high and the CAFE numbers get more stringent Chrysler might just offer a twin turbo V6 and not V8s. After 2014 MY it is anyones guess. Sales will probably be the determining factor.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
2013 will be the final year for the Challenger

gas will be $6 a gallon

the last 2011 IE will be delivered to the person who ordered it in Sept 2010

the economy will be the same (9% unemployment)

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
2013 will be the final year for the Challenger

gas will be $6 a gallon

the last 2011 IE will be delivered to the person who ordered it in Sept 2010

the economy will be the same (9% unemployment)
So how was your trip to the future and back with Dr. Brown in the Delorean? Did you see some serious **** when you hit 88?

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
The Challenger is a timeless design. The only thing Dodge needs to do to keep it viable is shed about 500 lbs. For this day and age its just a heavy car.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Call me doom & gloom but this is how I view the next 2-years. Regular unleaded fuel hits $5.00 a gallon the summer of 2011 and stays there until 2012 where it climbs to $6.99. Remains in this area through January 2013. Premium goes from $5.85 in 2011 to $7.85 by 2012. All gas guzzler cars including the big engine Challengers languish on dealer lots beginning with 2012 models. By 2013 the only thing selling anywhere is small-engine fuel-efficient models and even they're having a hard time due to the worsening economy. The middle east situation is much more intense than 2011. By 2013 Dodge axes the Challenger and Chevrolet cuts the Camaro. Only Ford is bold enough to continue building the Mustang 'though in new 4-cylinder models only.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Call me doom & gloom but this is how I view the next 2-years. Regular unleaded fuel hits $5.00 a gallon the summer of 2011 and stays there until 2012 where it climbs to $6.99. Remains in this area through January 2013. Premium goes from $5.85 in 2011 to $7.85 by 2012. All gas guzzler cars including the big engine Challengers languish on dealer lots beginning with 2012 models. By 2013 the only thing selling anywhere is small-engine fuel-efficient models and even they're having a hard time due to the worsening economy. The middle east situation is much more intense than 2011. By 2013 Dodge axes the Challenger and Chevrolet cuts the Camaro. Only Ford is bold enough to continue building the Mustang 'though in new 4-cylinder models only.
Mustang as a 4 cylinder car.......reminds me of the early and mid 80's. History may repeat itself once again. Though if I recall, the 4 cylinder SVO performance wasn't too shabby for the time period.:thumbsup: I can still remember the 4 cylinder turbo going vroooom, vrooom, LOL:jester:

My prediction** for the Challenger is that it will end production by 2014. If it were to survive beyond that, it definitely would need to lose weight, but then it would most likely need to be built on a different platform. So Chrysler/Fiat would have to develop a new platform for it (doubtful due to $$) or downsize/restyle it onto a current one. If they did that, then it wouldn't be the same Challenger (in name only, remember the small sized Charger and Challenger from the 80's?):disgust: It's pretty much a niche car that will be killed off for money reasons: fuel prices+limited sales+lack of R&D $$ invested.
The new Chrysler/Fiat needs to survive on more fuel efficient/alternative fuel cars that appeal to the masses, not a niche market. Like they say "Follow the money". Though a 6 cylinder turbo could be a game changer.:browsmiley:

**I've been known to be wrong more times than I care to remember, LOL

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Most car manufacturers take 5 to 6 years to amortize the cost of their expenses for a new car. That puts the Challenger at the end of it's run in 2013 or 2014. This is not a high-volume car, so I don't anticipate many changes between now and the end of the run. Maybe a few tweaks here and there, especially if something can be done to shave weight and/or improve fuel economy. One salvation we have is that Dodge can spread any tooling costs for new drivetrain components over the entire LX line and maybe over into the Jeep line as well. That bodes well for more fuel efficient engines and transmissions. Sheet metal will not change during the Challenger's model run.

My prediction: in 2014 gas will be $6.00 a gallon. 93 octane will be gone. All but the most exotic performance cars will be tuned for 87 or maybe 89 octane. The Feds will mandate CAFE at 42 MPG or higher. Turbo V6s will be much more mainstream. V8-powered performance cars will be rare as manufacturers scramble to meet the new CAFE requirements. Future performance cars will not include a V8 in product planning, except in the case of very high end cars such as the top-tier Corvettes. The merger with Chrysler and Fiat will not prove to add a huge amount of profit to Chrysler's bottom line, and given that younger buyers have already shunned 2-door cars, Dodge will not be able to make a case for a new Challenger. The nameplate will be dropped.

·
Registered
352 Posts
My guess is the Challenger is replaced with a 'cuda which will be more in line with the design brief of the new Mustang.

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
H2 or more commonly known as Hydrogen. Green Power GWE :)
What is the #1 Green House catalyst...

CO2 = nope :disgust:
Methane = nope :disgust:
Water Vapor = Ding Ding Ding... We have a Winner!!!!

If they were really convinced we were all going to die from global warming... they would NOT be promoting a way to spew more water vapor into the atmosphere. But alas we all know it has nothing to do with actual destruction... and everything to do with POWER.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I think that the Challenger will be a 5 year run which will make the 2012 Challengers the last ones. Just like the Challengers from 1970 thru 1974. A 5 year run.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Challenger will be gone in 2012 possibly to 2013. I started a thread a while back about an SRT engineer stating that the Challenger will stop production in a few years. Who knows what will take its place, CUDA, very slight possibility but who knows what the hell this company is thinking. Im hearing of a "MOPAR 11" car now and what was that roller skate Fiat Mopar 10 looking thing?? They are lost and dont know what to do. :) If they make a "Mopar 11" it sure will piss the people off that got the Mopar 10s because they were supposed to be a limited car. Making a Mopar 11 will just kill that whole idea. So, in the end, I still think the Challenger will be gone in a few years. Is that a bad thing for us, naahhhh, just makes us guys that have a Challenger have something a bit more rare.

·
Registered
117 Posts
In 2013, no telling what's in store....
My thoughts, a V6 version and will have some weight shed off.

By then, they should be able to squeeze quite a bit of HP out of a V6.
My wife's G37 couple pushes out 328HP.

I don't foresee Chrysler repeating what they did to the Challenger in 1978-1983.

On the plus side, the MPG will be better.
On the downside, we would miss the torque found from a nice HEMI V8.

1 - 20 of 167 Posts