Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Dodge 1500 will be the last of the big three to have a large steel body truck after GM goes to Alum "General Motors Co. is accelerating efforts to field a largely aluminum-bodied pickup truck by late 2018, under pressure from federal fuel efficiency standards and archrival Ford Motor Co., according to people familiar with the matter.
The No. 1 U.S. auto maker recently locked-in supply contracts with Alcoa Inc. and Novelis Inc., which are now working to increase their aluminum sheet production to supply the next-generation GM pickup, the people said. Aluminum sheet for automotive bodies is in such high demand that companies need to order it years in advance."

"Chrysler Group LLC, now part of Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV, took a third path, boosting the mileage of its steel-bodied Ram pickups with 8-speed transmissions, high-efficiency axles and advanced gasoline and diesel engines. This month Chrysler expects to start selling a Ram 1500 diesel that is rated at up to 28 highway miles on a gallon, setting a new bar for pickups.
Such diverging strategies was unusual among the Detroit Three. In the past, all offered variations of the same design: A steel body bolted to a heavy steel frame, powered by a large eight-cylinder engine. Japan's Toyota Motor Corp. and Nissan Motor Co. also followed that formula, albeit with less success."
When I get a truck it will be a Ram

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have already heard talk on the net of Ram going to an aluminum body or using aluminum components. I would not be surprised if Ram beats Chevy to the punch on this though. I thought it would be cheaper to build some of the body panels out of a composite. And easier and cheaper to fix too. Shows what I know.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Chrysler Group dealers ordered more than 8,000 diesel-powered Ram 1500 pickups in the first weekend that they could do so -- a figure that represents nearly half of the light-duty pickup's normal monthly production.

Ram is doing just fine.

Trucks get dented. Aluminum is going kill Ford and GM in the short term. No on will be able to afford insuring them. It'll be wise to stay with stamped steel until insurance companies get a handle on repairs.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have some friends that are in the body repair business my wife is in the steel and aluminum field, here are a couple of issues paint does not like aluminum very costly to have it etched to have paint adhere to it. Cost will be huge for repair more panels will be replaced as steel is easer to work on if dented. I see insurance rates higher on a alum car or truck as they are not going to lose money on a more costly repair.

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Alluminum is way less corrosive...

Look at all those 50 year old seaplanes that are still flying. Wish the Challenger was alluminum.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Look at all those 50 year old seaplanes that are still flying. Wish the Challenger was alluminum.
Seaplanes rarely run into rocks or get shopping carts run into them...

·
Registered
63 Posts
I would like to see crash test on the aluminum ones. Right now you can see a wreck where there's a older model truck and one of these little cars and the truck doesn't even get scratched but the car is totaled.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
Time will tell.... A lot of manufactures have been using Aluminum for hood for years.

The cost of repair and insurance has been going up for years with the new technology in cars... think of a 20 MPH front end accident and 8 air bags going off in a vehicle... how much that costs to fix!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts