Dodge Challenger Forum banner

101 - 120 of 150 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,524 Posts
Bring back Flight-Sweep. :icon7:
Ugh, no.

I may be in the minority, but the tail fin era doesn't do it for me!

The '62 - '64 Caddy, much more restraint given all the weird styling that '60 / '61 had almost across all makes.

The '65+ Caddy went for a different look with the slab sides and the "blade" tail fin / quarter, but a look that aged more gracefully.

The 50s was just excess for the sake of excess. A '58 Olds was a study in how wrong it could go...

·
Super Moderator
14,524 Posts
The Continental didn't fail to come close to BMW, MB or Lexus, because it was never the intention. Sadly, only 80 vehicles were built with suicide doors and 8,758 were sold in 2018. It seems that it won't be around much longer.

Great Cars Nobody Bought in 2018

The Charger is retro in name only.

FCA has stated that none of the Euro platforms will be used on the next generation and instead the current one will be modified. Of course, with FCA that can change depending on the direction the wind is blowing.
Pretty much Lincoln is a dying brand - mostly you'll see Navigators and a luxed out Expedition could replace it.

The Continental is expensive - at the price point its at, buyers cross shop European and buy those instead.

·
Super Moderator
14,524 Posts
The then FCA CEO (RIP) said the rear headroom was tight. But that's the coupe like styling they were going for. I think he just wanted a reason to build more Jeeps (SUVs) because it was more profitable. The only way was to axe the cars. FCA did spend a lot of $$$ on R&D on the 200. It was a good car. Ok, the 9 speed auto sucks, but that's ZF's fault. Honda has the same issues with the ZF. But Honda finally tuned it right on 2019 (Pilot). 200 never got the chance/attention from FCA to make it work.

I'm sure SUVs are profitable, but 200,000 units of Chrysler 200 can surely keep guys working and pay the electric bill. Nothing wrong with being 4th, 5th, 6th place in mid size sedan sales.
It was unfortunate that styling trumped function with the rear doors. A 4 door sedan should have good egress / ingress for the rear passengers. This was an issue with other brands, like the 'Benz CLA and the CLS - that swoopy roofline compromised the rear headroom and ingress / egress for passengers. Most buyers get four doors because they're going to use it that way...

The 200 was a clean sheet design that was hands down better than the former Sebring / 200 it replaced [aka: the "sad era"]. The other issue was the transmission programming that plagued early production modes.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Pretty much Lincoln is a dying brand - mostly you'll see Navigators and a luxed out Expedition could replace it.
True, but I like the fight with Ford trying to save it.

One of the deal of accepting the auto bailout money was to cut the number of brands. I don't know if that really helped or hurt them? When there was no Pontiac, did the shoppers buy a Chevrolet instead? Or did they buy a non-GM?

Is rebading really a bad idea? If you don't like the Chevy Monte Carlo, but just wish it look a bit different, there's still the Grand Prix, or the Cutless, or the Regal. Yes, that's 4 version of the same car. One of those surely fit your preference.

Could FCA benefit with Plymouth? FCA could sell a few more "Challengers" as the Cuda with just a different grill and emblems. Some love the Challenger, but just want a slight different look (of the same car).

·
Super Moderator
14,524 Posts
True, but I like the fight with Ford trying to save it.

One of the deal of accepting the auto bailout money was to cut the number of brands. I don't know if that really helped or hurt them? When there was no Pontiac, did the shoppers buy a Chevrolet instead? Or did they buy a non-GM?

Is rebading really a bad idea? If you don't like the Chevy Monte Carlo, but just wish it look a bit different, there's still the Grand Prix, or the Cutless, or the Regal. Yes, that's 4 version of the same car. One of those surely fit your preference.

Could FCA benefit with Plymouth? FCA could sell a few more "Challengers" as the Cuda with just a different grill and emblems. Some love the Challenger, but just want a slight different look (of the same car).
the replication of models worked for GM when they used to have 50% of U.S. market share...through management's incompetence (or arrogance, take your pick) - it was 17% by 2016... Ford was 29% at their high to 14.6%, Chrysler, the smallest has ranged 10.5% - 13.5% [all this during 1961 - 2016]

FCA used to have what I referred to the "trio of sad" Compass, Nitro, Liberty - they replicated the GM duplication and they frankly were mediocre vehicles that had crappy CVTs and poor mileage for 4 cyl engines.

Market forces have changed and the imports played an ever increasing share in the market. The "Big 3" are so much anymore.

Between the legacy of retirement benefits, the excess production capacity and decreases in sales, paring down to fewer models and no replication makes more sense.

My prediction: Ford becomes an ever smaller market share with the move to CUV / SUV / Truck & Mustang only; the imports will grow in market share since GM and Ford are moving away from passenger cars...

Ford dropped Mercury due to declining sales - with Fords intention to shift to different segments, I don't see Lincoln as a volume seller.

The luxury cross-over segment is dominated by BMW and Porsche, Lincoln doesn't play that well against the competition. New Lincolns on the road are few and far between.

I just did a NC > CA > NC cross country trip across 8 states by car, 5,400 miles. Very few Lincolns, saw a couple of Navigators, but that was it.

Even Cadillacs are a rarer sight as well, but those turn up far more than any Lincoln models

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
My prediction: Ford becomes an ever smaller market share with the move to CUV / SUV / Truck & Mustang only; the imports will grow in market share since GM and Ford are moving away from passenger cars...
U.S. auto makers retreated from market share and into profitability. They fail to realize that at some point reduced market share makes a company insignificant and consumers may altogether shop elsewhere.

·
Registered
520 Posts
U.S. auto makers retreated from market share and into profitability. They fail to realize that at some point reduced market share makes a company insignificant and consumers may altogether shop elsewhere.
True. Well said. Outside of numbers, cars (used to?) strike the core of people's hearts. How many diehard Mopar fans are here...

Our first family car was a Chevrolet. My first love with cars was a Corvette. The first car is learned how to drive was a Chevrolet. Chevrolet does hold a "special" place in my heart. I don't own any GM products now, but still a fan.

I really hate to see any (American) brands go away. I think that is a part of "American" culture and history.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Toyota Corolla, Toyota Camry, and Honda Civic prove that while pickups and crossovers are king, Japanese sedans are still selling just fine.

Honda Civic US car sales figures

2018 =325,760
2017 =377,286
2016 =366,927
2015 =335,384
2014 =325,981
2013 =336,180
2012 =317,909
2011 =221,235
2010 =260,218
Just fine... well... sales going down is becoming a worry even to Toyota and Honda execs. The Accord is now in a 3 year sales slide.. and THAT is even with an all new Accord for 2018. The Camry is on a 3 year sales slide even with an all new Camry, The Corolla is on a 2 year sales slide and that car used to be a Top 10 seller.. no more. All for of these models used to be in the Top 4-8 sales slot in the US and I think now only the Camry is in the Top 10. These 4 models have been gaining and/or not losing as much as the few people that ARE car buyers have left the domestics and bought these.
It's possible they hit a slow period due to EVs being pushed out and the sales may be reduced due to tarrifs. Then there is that quality reliability speak with Honda and Toyota. Whatever the case is I don't think they really should worry unless the decline starts to dip even more.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
It's possible they hit a slow period due to EVs being pushed out and the sales may be reduced due to tarrifs. Then there is that quality reliability speak with Honda and Toyota. Whatever the case is I don't think they really should worry unless the decline starts to dip even more.
EV's are still less than 2% of all US sales... tiny...
Tarrifs... well then why are Truck sales holding steady and smaller SUV sales steady and going up then?

Dip even more.... From a solid #3,4,5,7 in sales every single year to now only one being in the Top 10.... and that is with the Nissan Altima, GM and Ford models almost non existent already.

I'd say there is worry as Toyota and Honda sunk millions in all new Accord and Camry models for 2018.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ford has killed off some interest in the Mustang by altering the retro look to make it more appealing to Euro- Markets and GM has done damage to the Camaro by making it too futuristic. I hope FCA does not do the same thing to the Challenger.

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Ford has killed off some interest in the Mustang by altering the retro look to make it more appealing to Euro- Markets...
I doubt that's accurate, because Mustang sales are cyclical and it outsells Camaro and Challenger in America and Porsche in Germany:

2005 - 160,975
2006 - 166,530
2007 - 134,626
2008 - 91,251
2009 - 66,623
2010 - 73,716
2011 - 70,438
2012 - 90,706
2013 - 77,186
2014 - 82,635
2015 - 122,349
2016 - 105,932
2017 - 81,866
2018 - 75,842

·
Super Moderator
14,524 Posts
I doubt that's accurate, because Mustang sales are cyclical and it outsells Camaro and Challenger in America and Porsche in Germany:

2005 - 160,975
2006 - 166,530
2007 - 134,626
2008 - 91,251
2009 - 66,623
2010 - 73,716
2011 - 70,438
2012 - 90,706
2013 - 77,186
2014 - 82,635
2015 - 122,349
2016 - 105,932
2017 - 81,866
2018 - 75,842
The other item is the '15+ Mustang was the first time in the model's history that it was offered for sale in markets outside North America.

The S550 series is also offered in RHD versions for markets where those countries require that confirguration

101 - 120 of 150 Posts