Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Purchased a new 2020 scatpack widebody 1 month ago. After washing the car the first time I noticed the rear trunk molding/trim that frames the top of the taillights was warped. The gap is pinched on the left side, but is consistently straight on the right.

I have had some bad luck with the car since buying it (among other things a chair fell of a truck and was hit into my car by another vehicle). While at the shop for repairs I asked the shop manager to have the defective molding replaced. She said not only would Dodge not replace the molding, that a new molding would likely be warped- even worse than mine is now. I have ordered the new molding myself - which I will pay for, but the service manager told me to expect it to be warped as well. He said sorry, we don't build them, just sell them.

I can't live with this on a new car I just paid over $50k for. As much as I initially loved the car when I picked it up, I will never love it if it will always have this fairly noticeable defect. I feel like a fool to have paid so much money for something that looks like it was made in China.

I also have a weird issue with the rear windshield, but that's another topic. I loved my previous Challenger and wanted to upgrade, but if this is the case, I will trade it in another vehicle (that is not FCA). I wanted to love this car so much- I'm crushed.

Has anyone else had this issue? I have not seen anything about this in the forums or on the internet.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
You really need to post pictures of what you are talking about.

I also caution people to remember that these are not $50k, $60k or $90k cars. These are $28k cars that can be optioned up. Every Challenger is built on the same assembly line to the same fit and finish standards of a base model V6 car.

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
If this car is new, or still under 3 year bumper to bumper - That shop manager is full of fecal matter. They obligated to keep getting that trim panel until they get one that satisfies you. PERIOD.

If my cousin was still in corporate, I would have spoken to him about it. He probably, A.) Would have had a talk'in to that Shop Manager - and not a pleasant one. and B.) Had you sent a hand picked on off the assembly line.

He got me a brand new driver side mirror when my car was new. It had water marks on it. When he saw it, he got me one - already painted to match my car, and had the dealership put it on- no charge. He was cool like that.

Fight for what you want. You should NOT have had (or felt compelled) to get one on your own!

·
Super Moderator
14,915 Posts
You really need to post pictures of what you are talking about.

I also caution people to remember that these are not $50k, $60k or $90k cars. These are $28k cars that can be optioned up. Every Challenger is built on the same assembly line to the same fit and finish standards of a base model V6 car.
I think in 2008 and 2009 it was different. Chrysler was on the ropes and the retro-designed Challenger was a halo car for Dodge. I know that the factory workers took a lot of pride in building them. My 2009 Hemi-orange SRT was flawless.

Probably now, after 13 years, it's just another car to them.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
7,602 Posts
These are $28k cars that can be optioned up. Every Challenger is built on the same assembly line to the same fit and finish standards of a base model V6 car.
This, right here is the wrong attitude. The base model's fit and finish should not suffer because it is the "base model". I still say the O.P. is a troll but this is what is wrong with corporations if they have this attitude.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not a troll. Just heartbroken after my last Challenger (2016 RT Shaker) which I absolutely loved. Wish I had it back now. I would post a photo, but my car is in the shop getting the bumper painted/repaired and the splitter replaced. Who would troll with such specifics? I'll post one when I get it back (at least 4 days for $1000 repair - 3.9 hours labor - figures - shooting for Friday said the manager).
I agree I could make a stink and get the molding replaced. In fact the service manager backpedaled and said he would have the molding ordered - but told me to expect it to be warped upon arrival. He basically said the same thing Oregon said above - you may have paid 55k for the car, but it's still a Dodge. I also own a 2015 Charger I bought new, and barely an issue in 6 years. I had been a GM guy but converted to Mopar after the Charger, but I can't see ever buying FCA again.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
7,602 Posts
Not a troll. Just heartbroken after my last Challenger (2016 RT Shaker) which I absolutely loved. Wish I had it back now. I would post a photo, but my car is in the shop getting the bumper painted/repaired and the splitter replaced. Who would troll with such specifics? I'll post one when I get it back (at least 4 days for $1000 repair - 3.9 hours labor - figures - shooting for Friday said the manager).
I agree I could make a stink and get the molding replaced. In fact the service manager backpedaled and said he would have the molding ordered - but told me to expect it to be warped upon arrival. He basically said the same thing Oregon said above - you may have paid 55k for the car, but it's still a Dodge. I also own a 2015 Charger I bought new, and barely an issue in 6 years. I had been a GM guy but converted to Mopar after the Charger, but I can't see ever buying FCA again.
okay then, I apologize we get so many people come here and their first and ONLY post is to "stir the pot".

Post pics and tag @DodgeCares

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Frank, I'll post photos when I get the car back. Although this is my first post, I have been coming to the forum for years to find out about happy things like mods for performance and appearance. I never had any issues with my other 2 Dodges, this is the first. I came to the forum to see if anyone else had this issue like my local dealer claims. I have not found other reports of exterior molding issues on any challys/scatpacks, let alone the widebody. I think owner's on the forum can understand - this was the car I had been dreaming of owning for 2 years, but in less than a month my overwhelming joy has turned to extreme disappointment. Half the reason I bought the car was for the appearance - usually the best looking car on the road if you ask me. I can afford to lose money on the trade in, but the mustang was always my distant 2nd choice. I may just get a prius now (now that's trolling).

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
This, right here is the wrong attitude. The base model's fit and finish should not suffer because it is the "base model". I still say the O.P. is a troll but this is what is wrong with corporations if they have this attitude.

Point being, they are all built to the same fit and finish standard. It doesn’t matter if it’s a base V6 or a Super Stock.

Frank, I'll post photos when I get the car back. Although this is my first post, I have been coming to the forum for years to find out about happy things like mods for performance and appearance. I never had any issues with my other 2 Dodges, this is the first. I came to the forum to see if anyone else had this issue like my local dealer claims. I have not found other reports of exterior molding issues on any challys/scatpacks, let alone the widebody. I think owner's on the forum can understand - this was the car I had been dreaming of owning for 2 years, but in less than a month my overwhelming joy has turned to extreme disappointment. Half the reason I bought the car was for the appearance - usually the best looking car on the road if you ask me. I can afford to lose money on the trade in, but the mustang was always my distant 2nd choice. I may just get a prius now (now that's trolling).
The pics will really help in this situation because we will all be able to compare it to our cars and maybe provide guidance.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Manager said they will try to have the part by tomorrow when I am supposed to pick the car up (having doubts). You'd think 4 days would be enough to spot paint and clear coat a bumper cover. I did bring it in the day they requested.
Sorry for the attitude guys. I loved Challys as much as anyone until a couple days ago. We all know in our area this is a poor dealer, but it was the comments about the "unrepairable" trim molding that have me upset. Sorry, but if I paid 20k for a new Sonic, I wouldn't expect the dealer to tell me inherent defects are just part of buying a certain model, brand, or price of a car. I wouldn't be ok with that on a $200 bicycle.

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
First, welcome to the Forum from Alabama. Second, sorry your first post is such a downer. I was in sales for many decades. If you do not get complete satisfaction from the service department, this is what I would do; I would go back to your salesman that sold you this new car. Explain your problem and displeasure and what you want to make you happy in a professional manner. If he does not intervene with the necessary people to resolve the issue, I would go to the GM. Use the same strategy. If he does not show complete concern and the willingness to resolve the issue then the gloves come off. I would meet with both of them together and explain your position again and that you didn't ask to be put in this position, you were forced into it. I would calmly explain to them that your new hobby is to educate potential customers how you were treated on an issue, with again, a new vehicle via their website, social media, word of mouth or any means available to you. Above all, stay calm and speak in an even concerned tone. These are the type customers that it is very difficult for management to ignore in my (and any) business model. Just the way I would handle it.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Find another dealer, the one you're dealing with is being run like the old Chrysler, blame the customer and deny warrantee as much as possible, if the car was built with a warped molding have them keep ordering it until one comes in that isn't warped, if not tell them you want compensation for the part and labor and you will find your own and have it installed, there are a ton of Challengers in Junk yards by now. Quit dealing at the dealer level, open a star case with Stellantis.

·
Premium Member
4,347 Posts
Purchased a new 2020 scatpack widebody 1 month ago. After washing the car the first time I noticed the rear trunk molding/trim that frames the top of the taillights was warped. The gap is pinched on the left side, but is consistently straight on the right.

I have had some bad luck with the car since buying it (among other things a chair fell of a truck and was hit into my car by another vehicle). While at the shop for repairs I asked the shop manager to have the defective molding replaced. She said not only would Dodge not replace the molding, that a new molding would likely be warped- even worse than mine is now. I have ordered the new molding myself - which I will pay for, but the service manager told me to expect it to be warped as well. He said sorry, we don't build them, just sell them.

I can't live with this on a new car I just paid over $50k for. As much as I initially loved the car when I picked it up, I will never love it if it will always have this fairly noticeable defect. I feel like a fool to have paid so much money for something that looks like it was made in China.

I also have a weird issue with the rear windshield, but that's another topic. I loved my previous Challenger and wanted to upgrade, but if this is the case, I will trade it in another vehicle (that is not FCA). I wanted to love this car so much- I'm crushed.

Has anyone else had this issue? I have not seen anything about this in the forums or on the internet.
Are you talking about this black trim?

Next time, go walk the lot, see if they have other Challengers out there, and look at those cars, see if they all have the same condition problems. If not, he's lying that they will all look like that.

Here's what I did. See this triangular trim piece? It's called a mucket. My 6 month old 13 R/T piece started to crack, look like alligator skin. The Service Manager balked at replacing it. So, I walked around his lot and found 3 brand new cars with the same issue. I had him come look at the other cars, and those without the issue. He immediately changed his tune, and replaced it....THREE times on the left, twice on the right because they kept going bad. It's almost like there was a bad batch produced. It's never happened again on this car, or my 2 other rigs.

Reactions: SKT PK 9 Man

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
RWL - you nailed it. That's the trim, and that's where's it's warped (on the left). Though hard to see in the photo.
You have good advise scat pack 9, but I did not buy the car locally. few of the local dealers in Pittsburgh carry high end challys and chargers, I guess because we are in the north and not as much demand. I had been looking for the right one for about 2 years - I wanted an SRT, but eventually fell in love with the widebody. I found the new one with all I wanted in Baltimore. I had tried to buy through the local dealer, but 2 salesman said they would check into it, but they never called back - I figured the car was sold. I saw it on the Baltimore dealer website 2 weeks later, so I made the deal despite my well founded trepidation. I figured, still a Dodge, they will take care of any issues. I had a similar problem with the wife's charger 6 years ago, and it was not an issue with this dealer then, but no parts were needed (alignment with the fender/hood).

I made a point to get to Baltimore 2 hours before dark so I could look it over, but when I arrived they still did not have the car prepped and I did not actually see the car until an hour after I arrived, and it was in the twilight by then (before the time change too). I might have noticed the warped molding. That said, it's the kind of thing you notice when you wash the car.

I used to be an auto appraiser and mechanic. Maybe I'm more picky, but damn!

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
RWL - you nailed it. That's the trim, and that's where's it's warped (on the left). Though hard to see in the photo.
You have good advise scat pack 9, but I did not buy the car locally. few of the local dealers in Pittsburgh carry high end challys and chargers, I guess because we are in the north and not as much demand. I had been looking for the right one for about 2 years - I wanted an SRT, but eventually fell in love with the widebody. I found the new one with all I wanted in Baltimore. I had tried to buy through the local dealer, but 2 salesman said they would check into it, but they never called back - I figured the car was sold. I saw it on the Baltimore dealer website 2 weeks later, so I made the deal despite my well founded trepidation. I figured, still a Dodge, they will take care of any issues. I had a similar problem with the wife's charger 6 years ago, and it was not an issue with this dealer then, but no parts were needed (alignment with the fender/hood).

I made a point to get to Baltimore 2 hours before dark so I could look it over, but when I arrived they still did not have the car prepped and I did not actually see the car until an hour after I arrived, and it was in the twilight by then (before the time change too). I might have noticed the warped molding. That said, it's the kind of thing you notice when you wash the car.

I used to be an auto appraiser and mechanic. Maybe I'm more picky, but damn!
Thanks for the info. No, you are not being picky, you are the customer. You know, the one inking the check. You are not being treated correctly. The Chromer is right. If you can, find another dealer. Damn nice car but I am biased, same color I picked (Indigo right?) Here's a pic of my car at the dealer, still dirty. It's at the detailer getting pretty right now. Good luck!
car 6.jpg
car 5.jpg

Reactions: STINGRAY

·
Registered
330 Posts
Please let us know the outcome.

Taking mine in for the first time under warranty because the backlights on the truck have serious condensation.
$980 part which includes your trim part also the license plate light is full of water and condensation another $70. On a side note be very careful taking the license plate light out, the snap breaks very easily.

The first guy I talked to at the dealership said have you ran it at night. I said no I just got it out of storage. He said to run it at night and it will clear up when the lights are on. It did not cure it after 100 miles. Not going to mess with these burning out when they can be replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Norm how are you everywhere?

1 - 20 of 88 Posts